No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No more than we already have. We won VFA flags but only after the VFL had commenced.

It's one of the worst ideas I've heard of, coming from a former Geelong president who for whatever reason wants to artificially inflate his own club's standing in league records by including premierships won in an entirely different league. Geelong of course would be the biggest beneficiary of such a change.

No new ones. We won our first three flags in a 3peat from 1898-1900 which was after the breakaway VFL was formed.

The protagonist for all this is ex-Geelong president Colin Carter.
By sheer coincidence Geelong won 7 of those first 20 VFA flags before the VFL was formed. :rolleyes:

I disgree completely with the suggestion. As people have pointed it out, every time this gets mentioned. It is often by fans of teams that would benefit from having their totals inflated.

The VFL was formed as a break away league by those who were unhappy with the admin side of things. THE VFA was still considered the leading state league at the time, so not sure how even the early VFL premierships be considered to hold any more value than the VFA premierships won around the same times. If you're going to include the VFA Premierships won before the formation of the VFL, you may as well include the VFA premierships won around the same era. In my own opinion, the year the VFL truly became stand alone as the leading league in the state/country was in 1925 when a few more VFA teams left to join the VFL and made it the VFL as it was for the next few decades, leading into the AFL.

Remember the one time both leagues faced off, Footscray won by 28 points. You could argue we were the best team that year.

Just looked it up Club were a powerhouse back in the VFA days

Footscray's record in the VFA had been exceptional. Over 39 years (1886–1924), the 'Tricolours' won nine premierships, were runners-up five times and won 394 games out of the 680 played, drawing 24 and losing 260, with two abandoned games.

A third item of major business was the Tasmania licence for a new club. A sticking point is the development of a major stadium at Macquarie Point in Hobart. The Tas Govt is putting up $375m and they want $240m from the Fed Govt. Meanwhile the AFL - who make billions and pay no taxes - has generously offered to put up $15m. Amazing chutzpah. I hope Albanese is not going to be quite the pushover that previous PMs were. He has said if it's going to be cloaked in the excuse of "urban redevelopment" then the project needs to be more than just a sports stadium.
If the AFL makes billions and pay no taxes but have no shareholders then where does the money go? Fat contracts / splurging at head office or back into the community (which is the same as taxes you just cut the middle man)

Just looked it up Club were a powerhouse back in the VFA days

Footscray's record in the VFA had been exceptional. Over 39 years (1886–1924), the 'Tricolours' won nine premierships, were runners-up five times and won 394 games out of the 680 played, drawing 24 and losing 260, with two abandoned games.
I read somewhere that we were the first club to have 10,000 members.

If the AFL makes billions and pay no taxes but have no shareholders then where does the money go? Fat contracts / splurging at head office or back into the community (which is the same as taxes you just cut the middle man)
"Billions" is a bit of hyperbole but 0.75 $billion revenue p.a is still a lot of money.

Certainly fat contracts for execs, a top heavy administration and nice contracts for preferred suppliers (sometimes allegedly with links to the top honchos ... read The Boys Club by Mick Warner) but also a lot of the revenue gets claimed by the AFLPA in the bargaining agreement. The general idea is the AFL gets most of the money and doles it out to the clubs as it sees fit. That keeps the clubs subservient and stops them getting too restless or disruptive to the AFL's grand plans.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any big community projects the AFL provides unless you count NGAs etc. I reckon clubs like ours do more for the real community than the AFL.

The AFL has also long been criticised for not putting enough back into junior sport and local development. Not sure how valid that is but the game going backwards among the youth of Tasmania over the last 30 years has been cited as evidence.

Last edited:
Ch9 just now:
Intro to the story: "AFL star Tarryn Thomas..."
During the story: "North young gun..."

For a show populated by vacuous dunderheads, they like throwing meaningless labels around.

Last edited:
No new ones. We won our first three flags in a 3peat from 1898-1900 which was after the breakaway VFL was formed.

The protagonist for all this is ex-Geelong president Colin Carter.
By sheer coincidence Geelong won 7 of those first 20 VFA flags before the VFL was formed. :rolleyes:

No more than we already have. We won VFA flags but only after the VFL had commenced.

It's one of the worst ideas I've heard of, coming from a former Geelong president who for whatever reason wants to artificially inflate his own club's standing in league records by including premierships won in an entirely different league. Geelong of course would be the biggest beneficiary of such a change.

I would suspect none, as the VFL seperated in 1897 and our first VFA premiership was in 1898 (the first of 3 in a row).

Thanks guys.

Damn, was hoping the proposal would make us some mega powerhouse!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still a gun player though. No real dog acts on his resume, just a blown fuse here and there.

Look it's honestly just really fun giving s**t to Sicily for flipping his lid so often. Gun player but dude has serious problems with his temper and keeping focus.

Look it's honestly just really fun giving s**t to Sicily for flipping his lid so often. Gun player but dude has serious problems with his temper and keeping focus.
I'd be stressed as well having to keep together a terrible Hawks backline. By the time his prime is over the Hawks will still be s**t, should have came over when he had the chance.

I'd be stressed as well having to keep together a terrible Hawks backline. By the time his prime is over the Hawks will still be s**t, should have came over when he had the chance.
Never too late!!

Sicily is the type of player you'd have a love hate relationship with, love him when he's playing well and hate when he's giving away nothing free kicks and 50m penalties. Passion isn't a valid excuse for his level of poor discipline.

My love affair with the Hun and Essington continues today.

Four articles. :oops:

I can't think of one genuine reason why I wouldn't subscribe to/buy that paper...can you?

Here we go!

Trying a different strategy this year. The 'Bombers for premiers' line hasn't worked. Let's show 'em how far we've come since the dark old days :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

1675555065868.png

On the occasion of the 10-year anniversary of of the Essendong saga. I ask rhetorically.

Which organisation living off dubious past glories has had the greater fall over the past 10 years?

Essendon F.C.

or

Herald Sun.

Answer:

Both options are correct.

However, only one of them has any hope of ever coming back to being the historical force of evil that they have been...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back