Opinion Non-Crows AFL 6: This Is Getting Cruel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Football (soccer) - can score a goal with your head

Gridiron - can score a touchdown with ball in hand

Rugby - can score a Try with ball in hand

Aussie Rules - must be off the foot to score a goal.

I think the way forward is clear...

As weak as your MLB is falling behind soccer or as weak as the game isn’t called Gridiron one’s?

An actual NFL general manager called his book gridiron genius, and you still want to dig in on what the game actually is?
I have been in a dynasty fantasy draft league since 1996. It's name is "Fantasy Grids", and has been since it started.

We played Gridiron, or Grids in highschool in the early 90s. In PE, and in a league.

Ken Hinkley made a Life Member of the PAFC at their B&F last night.

Sack Hinkley thread has a few more posts today :)
May as well as Kochie sees him as a Port coach for life.... :)

This is 1000% bullshit! And gotta know it. Its a big world out there and ain't now way your highly recruited Div 1 athlete has even heard the word gridiron.

Nobody and I mean nobody in the USA calls NFL - Gridiron. Its the exact reason that all of your references are obscure. Random blogs looking for a name and settling on a nickname for the field.

Nobody in California calls it Gridiron.
* off. I LIVED THERE! Don’t tell me what people said. JFC.

I was just having dinner with some friends and I brought it up - the two men told me it was "super old school" and weren't surprised I'd hardly heard it. The two women claimed to have never heard the word gridiron before.

Maybe it's different in other areas, although all of us have lived in a few different parts of the country.
Well I AM older than methusela, so there is that! 😜

Former Ballarat Rebel/Collingwood footballer Flynn Appleby playing "Gridiron" in the States after accepting a full sporting scholarship with Rutgers University..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Calling them the "redeem team" doesn't even make sense. The USA team had won 3 gold medals in a row in 92, 96 and 2000, then copped the bronze in 04, hence what the 08 team was "redeeming" (plus it played on the Dream Team name too).

Like if they had of actually been successful, won a Premiership then had a s**t year you could make use it, but it's nonsensical rubbish to use it here.

Let me amplify an earlier point

ABOUT GRIDIRON GENIUS
NOW IN PAPERBACK: Former NFL general manager and three-time Super Bowl winner Michael Lombardi reveals what makes football organizations tick at the championship level. From personnel to practice to game-day decisions that win titles, Lombardi shares what he learned working with coaching legends Bill Walsh of the 49ers, Al Davis of the Raiders, and Bill Belichick of the Patriots, among others, during his three decades in football.”

Let’s look at some key terms here:

1. Former NFL General Manager!
  2. Three time superbowl winner!!
  3. Foreword by Bill Belichick
  4. Title: Gridiron Genius

And we’ve still got guys pretending no American even knows the term Gridiron?

Let me amplify an earlier point

ABOUT GRIDIRON GENIUS
NOW IN PAPERBACK: Former NFL general manager and three-time Super Bowl winner Michael Lombardi reveals what makes football organizations tick at the championship level. From personnel to practice to game-day decisions that win titles, Lombardi shares what he learned working with coaching legends Bill Walsh of the 49ers, Al Davis of the Raiders, and Bill Belichick of the Patriots, among others, during his three decades in football.”

Let’s look at some key terms here:

1. Former NFL General Manager!
  2. Three time superbowl winner!!
  3. Foreword by Bill Belichick
  4. Title: Gridiron Genius

And we’ve still got guys pretending no American even knows the term Gridiron?
Seems the poor bloke has fallen down that deep dark hole of delusion he dug himself ;)

I was just having dinner with some friends and I brought it up - the two men told me it was "super old school" and weren't surprised I'd hardly heard it. The two women claimed to have never heard the word gridiron before.

Maybe it's different in other areas, although all of us have lived in a few different parts of the country.

Thats surprising

I hope you told them all about a book written about football that has gridiron in the title, the UK sports blog about the NFL named Gridiron and a lady who lived near where the Super Bowl was played in the 90's and heard the term "Gridiron" a lot to showcase how commonly NFL is called Gridiron.

Thats surprising

I hope you told them all about a book written about football that has gridiron in the title, the UK sports blog about the NFL named Gridiron and a lady who lived near where the Super Bowl was played in the 90's and heard the term "Gridiron" a lot to showcase how commonly NFL is called Gridiron.

Or the NFL twitter handle of one America’s largest sports content platforms, followed by the greatest player of all time (and * knows how many other NFL luminaries)

The only Americans who don’t know what Gridiron is, are the same ones driving pickup trucks, playing the banjo and sleeping with close relatives

But who am I to judge the company you keep? ;)

Thats surprising

This is from a 40 yo friend of mine who grew up in Florida and is now a senior manager at a well known tech company in Silicon Valley. "Yeah that's real old. I don't think even my dad used that term."

I told him there's a person on the internet from Australia who says he's wrong.

Thats surprising

Oh no you don't. Your words were: Nobody and I mean nobody in the USA calls NFL - Gridiron

Just take the L mate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back