MFC Fans Only Non Dees AFL thread 2019 edition- Thank god its over. Tylenol NOW!

Remove this Banner Ad

Stephenson will be very lucky to get less than 8 weeks. Jake Niall article saying maybe a discount due to his young age and the fact he self reported. Interesting to know why he self reported.

For mine he needs at least 8 weeks. Can’t be betting on AFL games let alone ones you’re playing in.

Stephenson will be very lucky to get less than 8 weeks. Jake Niall article saying maybe a discount due to his young age and the fact he self reported. Interesting to know why he self reported.

For mine he needs at least 8 weeks. Can’t be betting on AFL games let alone ones you’re playing in.

Assuming someone at Collingwood got word of it. If he misses 8 weeks now he's back for finals. If this story had dropped in round 20 he could miss atleast a prelim

'Could' have happened

So you think if a supporter jumps the fence and almost wrestles a player there should be no consequence
I just saw the footage tonight. Almost wrestles a player is a bit of a stretch.

Anyway, you’re all arguing over nothing. The security agency in question has claimed the bloke involved is a casual brought in as supplementary staff. So he may well be taken off the books (likely given the publicity). He apparently doesn’t have an ongoing position to lose.

The more interesting question is what instructions a security firm gives it workforce, casual or otherwise, what checks are in place before employing staff, what checks are in place before engaging casuals etc. I don’t have much faith in the industry full stop in Australia. Licensed industry and all. To be honest, the threat that a security guy might attempt to wrestle a poor AFL player is literally the smallest risk I can imagine.

Assuming someone at Collingwood got word of it. If he misses 8 weeks now he's back for finals. If this story had dropped in round 20 he could miss atleast a prelim
Agree. It’s not like he would have all of the sudden realised what he did. Get your suspension done now and then back for finals. Not ideal but better now than late season.

I just saw the footage tonight. Almost wrestles a player is a bit of a stretch.

Anyway, you’re all arguing over nothing. The security agency in question has claimed the bloke involved is a casual brought in as supplementary staff. So he may well be taken off the books (likely given the publicity). He apparently doesn’t have an ongoing position to lose.

The more interesting question is what instructions a security firm gives it workforce, casual or otherwise, what checks are in place before employing staff, what checks are in place before engaging casuals etc. I don’t have much faith in the industry full stop in Australia. Licensed industry and all. To be honest, the threat that a security guy might attempt to wrestle a poor AFL player is literally the smallest risk I can imagine.

So what if the security guard grabs Ziebell by the arm, tries to pull him off and he does his shoulder?

Can an off duty cop jump the fence and try wrestle a player? What if an umpire stepped in?

It's insane that a non playing member actually thought it was his responsibility to get involved

So what if the security guard grabs Ziebell by the arm, tries to pull him off and he does his shoulder?

Can an off duty cop jump the fence and try wrestle a player? What if an umpire stepped in?

It's insane that a non playing member actually thought it was his responsibility to get involved
Sure it is. Which I think goes back to the security company who brought him in for the day. What did they tell him was his responsibility? If he is nuts, what is going on with screening of casuals etc.

I honestly can’t remember this happening before. And that’s a lot of AFL games, and other sports worldwide, with it not happening. Seems a massive anomaly to me

Edit: also apologies to Topkent - I think my previous post was a bit confusing when I talked about risk. I was triggered to go down a tangent of my own which is more to do with private security firms in Australia and the epic failure of training to provide ‘qualifications’ and the licensing regime. If I’m right, and I hope I’m not, AFL players are the last people who need worry if an incident occurs in a crowded place.

Last edited:
So you've got nothing.
No I just don’t think I’m capable of changing your mind and frankly I don’t care to either. If you wanted to you’re more than capable of finding the information yourself. It’s readily available, would probably take one or two google searches.

No I just don’t think I’m capable of changing your mind and frankly I don’t care to either. If you wanted to you’re more than capable of finding the information yourself. It’s readily available, would probably take one or two google searches.

Well you won't have much of a track record convincing people of anything if you don't stump up any evidence. Help me out here - did cultists of the Church of Folau go out and burn Brokeback Mountain DVDs? Were the homosexuals and homophobes clashing in the streets? How West Side Story did it get?

Don't know what you've heard, but it depends on what he actually bet on. Last time someone bet on their own team (Heater Shaw) they got 8 weeks, so yeah, that'd be screwed. Another game, claim you didn't know, and you could just get a fine.
Apparently he bet on a game he played in. He's ****ed.

Wil Minson is my all time most hated player for some of the way he conducted himself, Vardy looks like he wants to challenge for that place in my heart

Wil Minson is my all time most hated player for some of the way he conducted himself, Vardy looks like he wants to challenge for that place in my heart
For the Gawn thing alone or has he done something else?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

22 weeks with 12 suspended and a $20,000 fine . Total bets placed $36 with none winning . Seems about right IMO .

What was he thinking? Is there a TAB outlet in the Pies dressing room?

22 weeks with 12 suspended and a $20,000 fine . Total bets placed $36 with none winning . Seems about right IMO .

Would be interested in what the conditions of the suspended sentence are.

Who knows , it appears he self reported , but the AFL let him play 3 more games before delivering the punishment . Just goes to show you don't have to be smart to play Afl .

Seems convenient it was released on the same day as the crowd press conference. Taken the heat off the AFL

So he gets 10 weeks.
More than king hitting some one
More than doing drugs
More than drink driving
More than May and Hogan got combined

The only reason this is serious is because the AFL is heavily involved in gambling, the same thing Stephenson is being punished for. Pretty crazy

Agree, should have gotten a year

Definitely been stage managed by Collingwood/AFL...self reporting after betting on 3 seperate occasions on results and outcomes involving his team?

and he still gets to play finals? Right-o

Remove this Banner Ad

Back