Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's early days and he is a beautiful kick but pick 2 on a tall half back flanker?

No thanks!

I suppose we have to wait and see how he develops but there is no current suggestion he engages the physical side of the game anywhere near enough to be a good key forward.

Yeah like I said it wasn’t an incorrect assessment in that he can definitely play, he’s just not even close to what was advertised. A young Birchall

I can’t recall a more different wrong pre draft assessment of a player than Lukosious.

There have been plenty of bad wrong calls (as in the player ends up being a bust) but Lukosious was billed as Nick Riewoldt crossed with Jack Riewoldt when he’s actually just a poor man’s Jordan Ridley.
It's early days and he is a beautiful kick but pick 2 on a tall half back flanker?

No thanks!

I suppose we have to wait and see how he develops but there is no current suggestion he engages the physical side of the game anywhere near enough to be a good key forward.
This is the side of AFL fans i hate the most, the impatience and value judgement about a players potential/position 18 months into their career and not accounting for a global pandemic robbing them of any momentum to build off of their first full pre season.

Matthew Pavlich spent a significant parts of his first 3 or 4 years playing in defence, he is now Fremantle's leading goal kicker of all time.

Gold Coast already have King playing forward, and so having another skinny tall up there will make it hard to be competitive. With Day and King there adding Lukosius at this point makes them too tall and takes away from their pressure game. Lukosius has a great running ability and an elite kick and so playing half back suits his strengths at this stage. He also spent time on the wing last year as well.

The kid is 19 f$^@ing years old. Of course he isnt physical at this stage, as he gets older and stronger (and Sam Day is already 29yo) hebwill transition forward i have no doubt. What he is and how he plays shpuld be judged in 4 years time, not now in his genuine football infancy.

Claiming he is only ever going to be a flanker picked at pick 2 is the epitome of going early.

This is the side of AFL fans i hate the most, the impatience and value judgement about a players potential/position 18 months into their career and not accounting for a global pandemic robbing them of any momentum to build off of their first full pre season.

Matthew Pavlich spent a significant parts of his first 3 or 4 years playing in defence, he is now Fremantle's leading goal kicker of all time.

Gold Coast already have King playing forward, and so having another skinny tall up there will make it hard to be competitive. With Day and King there adding Lukosius at this point makes them too tall and takes away from their pressure game. Lukosius has a great running ability and an elite kick and so playing half back suits his strengths at this stage. He also spent time on the wing last year as well.

The kid is 19 f$^@ing years old. Of course he isnt physical at this stage, as he gets older and stronger (and Sam Day is already 29yo) hebwill transition forward i have no doubt. What he is and how he plays shpuld be judged in 4 years time, not now in his genuine football infancy.

Claiming he is only ever going to be a flanker picked at pick 2 is the epitome of going early.

We are not talking about a slow burn or starting in defence. He's not even playing as a key position player and doesn't look like a KPP. There are a number of these types of players who are the requisite size to be KPPs but who are not, Birchall, Watts, Scrimshaw and Goddard (he'd have to be shorter than someone listed as 192cm for me to accept he was shorter than 193cm). Even Westhoff at 199cm has rarely been a KPP. He tends to float around as a tall utility.

It works in revere, even the guys who are on the short side of KPP such as Darling or even Membrey were always playing as power forwards.

You're examples don't work because the players you cited were always physical key position players (when Pav wasn't playing inside mid). I'm trying to think of a similar player who made the transition to playing key forward.

We are not talking about a slow burn or starting in defence. He's not even playing as a key position player and doesn't look like a KPP. There are a number of these types of players who are the requisite size to be KPPs but who are not, Birchall, Watts, Scrimshaw and Goddard (he'd have to be shorter than someone listed as 192cm for me to accept he was shorter than 193cm). Even Westhoff at 199cm has rarely been a KPP. He tends to float around as a tall utility.

It works in revere, even the guys who are on the short side of KPP such as Darling or even Membrey were always playing as power forwards.

You're examples don't work because the players you cited were always physical key position players (when Pav wasn't playing inside mid). I'm trying to think of a similar player who made the transition to playing key forward.
He was lining up on Rowan Marshall and Max King at different points last night, of course he was playing KPP. And he isnt overly physical because is a 19yo kid who weighs 83kg and is 195cm tall. He will get there over time but to pidgeon hole him now is way to premature.

All those guys you mentioned were playing a flanker type role well into their mid twenties. Again Lukosius is 19, to tar him with the same brush the ridiculous at this point in his development. If he is doing the same at 23/24 then come back to me.

Also, Scott Lucas and Tom Lynch (Richmond) were thrown around to different positions early. I recall Lynch playing ruck ffs.

They’ll move him to the forward half in a year or 2 when his body is built up, then watch out. There’s a reason why they took him over Max.

And yet the Kings, beanpoles they are, play full forward and Blakey plays KPP (or at least he is a physical player).
Both Kings more suited to forward roles, over 200cm in teams that have ample KPD's. Sydney have to play Blakey forward, their others are always injured.

Last edited:
And yet the Kings, beanpoles they are, play full forward and Blakey plays KPP (or at least he is a physical player).
Completely different players, they are both 202cm which helps and it’s not like they are getting a heap of the ball, before last night Ben has been struggling the last month. They could play luko forward now but they pair Day with King as a big boday to crash packs, 2 young bodies as your keys wouldn’t work. Backlines would kill Luko and king as a pairing, hes only 83kg still. Once he gets to 89-90kg they’ll move him back to forward line.

I'm trying to think of a similar player who made the transition to playing key forward.
Gunston perhaps.

The interesting thing about Lukosius' development is Gold Coast are doing exactly what Melbourne should have with Watts. He won't get broken while he can't take the heat, and if he doesn't bulk up and embrace the physicality of a key role there's nothing wrong with a lethal flanker.

As to picking him top 3, you can only draft what's there. Who are the alternatives? Max King coming off an ACL and knowing his brother was as good as drafted already, Rozee when they already had Rankine, Smith with his doctor's note saying he couldn't leave Victoria?

Last edited:
I've just told the Collingwood board that I know the Quaynor family and it's actually pronounced "Key nore", it's total bullshit, but I want to see if it catches on. :devil:

Quinoa would work too. Tasty and good for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the point that's being made is that he's being supported in the forwardline by the bigger body of Sam Day for now, who is 29yo. Luko moves into the forwardline later, probably playing second tall to King, and when he puts on some size. It makes their forwardline sustainable - something we failed to do by having a younger Daniher to an old McKernan, and that line is now about to fall off.

Completely different players, they are both 202cm which helps and it’s not like they are getting a heap of the ball, before last night Ben has been struggling the last month. They could play luko forward now but they pair Day with King as a big boday to crash packs, 2 young bodies as your keys wouldn’t work. Backlines would kill Luko and king as a pairing, hes only 83kg still. Once he gets to 89-90kg they’ll move him back to forward line.
Oh. Snap.

Hugh Riminton is the journalist Barrett wishes he could be. Press conference with Hardwick was brutal.
agreed, and so appropriate that a man called Rimington is asking the questions around inappropriate anal play

Hugh Riminton is the journalist Barrett wishes he could be. Press conference with Hardwick was brutal.
I just saw an article on this in the Age....weirdest football story I can remember.

Apparently Vlastuin and Short groped Chol after the game. Bizarre!

I just saw an article on this in the Age....weirdest football story I can remember.

Apparently Vlastuin and Short groped Chol after the game. Bizarre!

There’s vision of Vlaustin doing a John Hopoate on Chol.

Last edited:
Couple that with the Broad fiasco as well as Dustin Martin threatening to stab someone’s eye out with a chopstick and I think you have a culture problem.

All good though, Cotchin hi fives everyone before they go out onto the field and they like jokes.

Couple that with the Broad fiasco as well as Dustin Martin threatening to stab someone’s eye out with a chopstick and I think you have a culture problem.

All good though, Cotchin hi fives everyone before they go out onto the field and they like jokes.

Don't forget all the smoke around Rance.

I thought it was very poor from him. Insinuating it is race-based is ridiculous and harms the progress we're making about race-related discussions. He should have waited to hear Mabior Chol's response first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back