Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coniglio and Mitchell would be huge.

I wouldnt bother with Patton, personally. Especially with Lewis coming on as quickly as he is.

Hanrahan has been impressive.

Reckon they're set for forwards, at least a main 6, especially with O'Brien maybe finding his feet.

I reckon there is just enough there for the Hawks to be around the mark.

There's not a lot of depth, though.

Has Impey done his knee? That would be a huge loss.

Yeah I don't know too much about Impey, fingers crossed it's not the ACL.

I think there is going to be a relatively quick bounce with Hawks and not just the hawks but a number of teams.
If the competition stays as even as it is currently and the club's ability to manipulate their lists more increases we will have teams that jump into finals and challenge regularly. I get the feeling hawks have been written off a bit in that regard. Lot of talk that clarko won't want to go through a rebuild etc, I don't think it will take him that long.

I'd heard that stat that they had beaten those top teams (which Doss kindly pointed out was wrong) but I still think they are hanging around, and that system with that coach is never going to be pure bottom four material, you don't expect them to have a Melbourne type year.

Hawks are gone. Stratton and Frawley past their best, both 31 next year Goodnight to Burgoyne. Puopolo and Birchall will be 32 next year. Smith and Henderson will be 31. Don’t think they’ll get Coniglio. Mitchell will get tagged more closely than ever. Goneski!!

Hawks are gone. Stratton and Frawley past their best, both 31 next year Goodnight to Burgoyne. Puopolo and Birchall will be 32 next year. Smith and Henderson will be 31. Don’t think they’ll get Coniglio. Mitchell will get tagged more closely than ever. Goneski!!

Big Boy too

They have 7-8 players who are over 30 Hawks are done.

Yeah I don't know too much about Impey, fingers crossed it's not the ACL.

I think there is going to be a relatively quick bounce with Hawks and not just the hawks but a number of teams.
If the competition stays as even as it is currently and the club's ability to manipulate their lists more increases we will have teams that jump into finals and challenge regularly. I get the feeling hawks have been written off a bit in that regard. Lot of talk that clarko won't want to go through a rebuild etc, I don't think it will take him that long.

I'd heard that stat that they had beaten those top teams (which Doss kindly pointed out was wrong) but I still think they are hanging around, and that system with that coach is never going to be pure bottom four material, you don't expect them to have a Melbourne type year.
the imbalance in the fixture is going to benefit some of these clubs too

If Melbourne get StK, GCS and Carlton twice next year, and they get a clean preseason done, they can finish top 4.
May end up adding Rowell or Anderson to their midfield group too.

They’re not gone, but the so called list overhaul that’s been made on the run isn’t even half complete.

I don’t think you can justify going after Patton if you’re Hawthorn. They’re going to need a ruckman and a key defender sooner rather than later and I think they’d be best served keeping their powder dry

Hawks 22 moving forward has holes. Pluggable. but will take time.

Hardwick ??? ???
Impey Sicily ???
Jaeger Shiels ???
Gunston ??? ???
Breust Lewis Wingard
??? Mitchell Worpel
Plus a bench, and some depth.

In that time, they'll support this group with McEvoy, Burgoyne, Frawley, Smith, Scully, etc. and likely remain fairly competitive without troubling the 8 too much.

Wingard was the foolish move.
Burton completes that HB line.
That pick from Port was sought by Carlton. Hawks could be carrying a top 3 pick into this years draft.

They’re not gone, but the so called list overhaul that’s been made on the run isn’t even half complete.

I don’t think you can justify going after Patton if you’re Hawthorn. They’re going to need a ruckman and a key defender sooner rather than later and I think they’d be best served keeping their powder dry
They really just need to hit the draft hard for a couple of years and get 6-7 good young players in and hope they hit on 4 of them. I would even consider trading back if i were them, as they tend to be a bit like us and nail their mid to late round picks.
Turn pick 9 into pick 16 and 22 from West Coast (who will need a top 10 pick for Kelly) and take 16, 22 and 27 into this years draft. Then go do the same next year

Not a full on rebuild like carlton or St Kilda but bring in a bunch of young talent whilst guys like Smith, Shiels, Burgoyne, Frawley, McEvoy etc are still at the club.
The older guys may not be as good as they once were but they will set the tone culture wise for the youngsters and set them up for when they leave.

Bad couple of days for Scott Thompson, gives away the free to lose the game and now goes in for surgery on a ruptured testicle. Yikes

Played out the game with it apparantly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without being able to refer to stacks of examples, off the top of my head, I cannot help but wonder whether it's the high profile pathways.

You know, people watch X because he was an under 16 rep and therefore must be good. The converse is of course true, too.

We know it happens with first round picks in the AFL system.
I don't know if it accords with academy or rep team inclusion, but there's certainly a recruiting assumption that key forwards without elite physical traits won't have what it takes to match AFL defenders and defensive setups so are left to slide (and conversely those with the tools go very early). I don't think that's necessarily wrong though - for every Lewis or Larkey who blossom after a few years of seconds there are plenty who wash out of the system, though that's the case with all types.

Last edited:
IMAG0035.jpg

giphy.gif

we have played Gold Coast twice once in their history
2016. when we had 2/3 of our ******* team missing.

we get so screwed with the fixture
Live in Perth compared to other vic teams.
Get screwed at the SCG on an annual basis.

how about in 2020 we get GCS twice, don't travel to Perth and the swans can come to us for the only clash of the season?

we have played Gold Coast twice once in their history
2016. when we had 2/3 of our ******* team missing.

we get so screwed with the fixture
Live in Perth compared to other vic teams.
Get screwed at the SCG on an annual basis.

how about in 2020 we get GCS twice, don't travel to Perth and the swans can come to us for the only clash of the season?

I want GC at the MCG next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back