Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reckon de goey just had a bad night

Tom Hawkins is only behind Franklin and Kennedy (and even that is 50/50) over the past 10 years. Change my mind.
Jack Riewoldt has won 3xColeman Medals, 2xPremierships, 2xBnFs, 3xAA selections and kicked 578 goals between 2010 to current day.

Tom Hawkins has 0 Colemans, 1 premiership, 0 BnFs and 2xAA selections and kick 500 goals between 2010 and the current day.

Not even close.

Jack Riewoldt has won 3xColeman Medals, 2xPremierships, 2xBnFs, 3xAA selections and kicked 578 goals between 2010 to current day.

Tom Hawkins has 0 Colemans, 1 premiership, 0 BnFs and 2xAA selections and kick 500 goals between 2010 and the current day.

Not even close.
Hard to argue against those stats.

Although I would suggest Hawkins should have been AA in 2014 when he had more goals, assists and a better record against top 8 sides over Roughead.

Drug saga that drags on for 4 years > Adelaide's camp

And this is only what was legally cleared.

Last edited:

Not to steal your post from the rumours board... but how is Ricciuto still employed? Between this debacle and the garbage he's posted on twitter recently; just * him off.

Posted a week or two ago that Power's achilles heel could be the quality of their tall defenders - It wasn't the sole reason why they lost tonight but it was a decent factor.

Not to steal your post from the rumours board... but how is Ricciuto still employed? Between this debacle and the garbage he's posted on twitter recently; just fu** him off.
Such a dick. This is absolutely disgraceful. In my mind worse than the Essendon drugs saga because Adelaide set out to use personal, private information to break their own players.

At least we were only trying to cheat to win

Slightly disturbing that Gibbs said other camps he'd been on had been worse.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the activities per se, sharing fears, physical conditioning with encouragement are probably good things if done well. I think that harness activity isn't as bad as it's painted, I've done similar before without the heckling.

The use of personal info, abuse to try and break them down though is a bit much. Obviously the misguided indigenous aspect and then dismissing their concerns would have set a bad tone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins' record against top 8 sides is incredible (24 goals in 10 games last year, 26 in 11 the previous year) and in recent years he's been excellent at bringing others into the game. He's a champion of the game, I would 100% take him over Riewoldt. Cameron I can concede on his current trajectory.

Hawkins has been a great....and his performance in the 2011 GF consolidates it IMO. I am not completely sold on Cameron. Good player, yes...but has weeks of absenteeism.

A lot of talk about Stringers weight, but Cunnington looks like he's eaten half a cow. Looks terribly out of shape. Struggling to get out of a jog.

Cunnington never really looks fit...but trying to run with a bad back is horrendous.

preseason camps are absolutely stupid. i see no reason for their existence in the day of multi million dollar training centers. just pay someone to bully your players if you really want to do that
I don't mind the concept of a camp as a team-building sort of thing, send them somewhere to do something different together for a couple of days without distractions. Preseason probably gets a bit monotonous at times so is a good time for it.

Not sure about this mental resilience training stuff though. Resilience is good, but no man is an island. You need teammates supporting each other, sticking up for each other, and pushing themselves and each other to go harder. Not sure how making them tear each other down in brutal fashion achieves any of those aims.

Destroying the relationships between teammates, and between half the best 22 and the club itself in the space of three or four days is some feat though.

I don't mind the concept of a camp as a team-building sort of thing, send them somewhere to do something different together for a couple of days without distractions. Preseason probably gets a bit monotonous at times so is a good time for it.

Not sure about this mental resilience training stuff though. Resilience is good, but no man is an island. You need teammates supporting each other, sticking up for each other, and pushing themselves and each other to go harder. Not sure how making them tear each other down in brutal fashion achieves any of those aims.

Destroying the relationships between teammates, and between half the best 22 and the club itself in the space of three or four days is some feat though.
Agree. If anything it immasculates, embarrasses, shames and brings out insecurities. Not sure how that is ever helpful for anyone.

That's what they should be.
Obviously we have found the line, but getting away with your mates, sharing and getting to know each other and overcome some physical challenges brings people together, I think those are things that should continue.

This breaking them down though, it's an interesting concept. I'd like to see the arguments behind it to try understand what they think it does.

preseason camps are absolutely stupid. i see no reason for their existence in the day of multi million dollar training centers. just pay someone to bully your players if you really want to do that
Well, Big Footy can do that for free.

Just make it mandatory reading after every match. Depending on a win/loss, we can pump up there tyres as good as anyone, or deflate them even quicker.

That's what they should be.
Obviously we have found the line, but getting away with your mates, sharing and getting to know each other and overcome some physical challenges brings people together, I think those are things that should continue.

This breaking them down though, it's an interesting concept. I'd like to see the arguments behind it to try understand what they think it does.
Oh I'm sure it's helpful, if you need to build the psychological fortitude to withstand a scenario where you are incapacitated in an unfamiliar place, with a different goal to your supposed teammates who are pulling in the other direction and abusing you, your support network is limited, ineffective or absent, and you have only yourself to rely on to complete your mission.

If you're encountering that on a football field you have far bigger problems than psychological fortitude though.

A couple of guys i played with got drafted to Sydney (years ago). The coach at the time made them crawl around the boundary line in the mud at training after a bad loss one night - laps of the boundary (so for a long time) after a loss. They both ended up at St Kilda and were very thankful for that (i know one of them never forgave the Swans for it).

There is a lot of trust involved in these things and the clubs have a duty of care to the players. Things can go from team building to punishment to abuse in a blink of an eye. Anyone who either created this bullshit camp or was directly responsible for signing off on it should be removed IMO.

Last edited:
Adelaide are so bad. Like, ridiculously bad. How can you justify not picking Elliott Himmelberg here? Drop Lynch, who has kicked 35 goals in his last 37 games, play Himmelberg and Frampton for a month together to see if they're up to it.

A couple of guys i played with got drafted to Sydney (years ago). The coach at the time made them crawl around the boundary line in the mud at training after a bad loss one night - laps of the boundary so for a long time after a loss. They both ended up at St Kilda and were very thankful for that (i know one of them never forgave the Swans for it).

There is a lot of trust involved in these things and the clubs have a duty of care to the players. Things can go from team building to punishment to abuse in a blink of an eye. Anyone who either created this bullshit camp or was directly responsible for signing off on it should be removed IMO.
This is where Woosh is a renaissance man. Punitive measures don't actually teach them anything where educating them and having patience does. Lots of patience. Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots. If the issue is hardness at the contest, that's between the ears and no amount of punishment for punishment's sake will fix that. Mindfulness training to help them make quicker connections between the need to see and do - to take action - is more worthwhile IMO. Which isn't to say training like boxing and wrestling to get them used to taking a hit isn't valuable, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back