Non-lions discussion 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Or, just an accident?
One of the Vic online news sites has posted photos from the scene.

Single vehicle head on collision with a power pole. No braking skid marks. Vehicle doesn’t appear damaged too much.

I don’t know what to “read” in to the “accident”.

My lawyer once told me there are no accidents. It falls under one of three categories, deliberate, negligence and I’ve forgotten the third category.

My first reaction to seeing the photos was, “Beams drives a Kia?!?”.

The Hun said:
Dayne Beams has played his last game for Collingwood.
Despite having three years to run on a four-year deal worth about $2 million, all parties are resigned to the fact Beams’ 177-game career is over.
Beams, who turned 30 on Wednesday, has barely stepped foot inside the club for months as he deals with mental health issues.
The 2010 premiership player, All-Australian and two-time best and fairest winner was involved in a car accident in the Melbourne suburb of Donvale on Thursday afternoon and stayed in hospital overnight with minor injuries.
Collingwood and Beams’ management will now work towards reaching a settlement in relation to the estimated $1.5 million remaining on his contract.
The Pies gave up two first round picks during the 2018 trade period as part of the deal to bring the midfielder back to the club, but Beams managed only nine games last season and none after Round 11.
He had hip and shoulder surgery and was admitted to hospital in September after an adverse reaction to pain medication.
Beams twice took a leave of absence from the club last year to deal with mental health issues.
His recruitment was the subject of strong internal debate at Collingwood, with club chiefs split on whether it was the right call to bring him back.
The Beams exit will be a test case for the AFL as an increasing number of players step away from the game to deal with mental health issues.
Tom Boyd retired last year because of a back injury and a mental health condition, but walked away from the $1.5 million owed to him by the Bulldogs in the last two years of his deal.
In one scenario, Beams could argue he is entitled to the entirety of the $1.5 million left on his contract, likening his mental health problems to a physical injury such as a career-ending knee problem.
The Magpies, who have star trio Jordan De Goey, Darcy Moore and Scott Pendlebury out of contract at seasons end, face a delicate negotiation.
Beams in December put his AFL career on hold for the second time in six months, saying he was seeking “a brighter future”.
“Trying to improve my quality of life and meet the demands of playing and training for football at the elite level continues to be a struggle,” Beams said two months ago.
“My health and football have come to feel like competing priorities, which is not a position that is helping or enabling me to meet my responsibilities.
“I have been trying to meet this challenge for a number of years but, with a series of debilitating recent injuries and my mental health a work in progress, I have reached a point where I know that stepping away from football is necessary.
“I want to thank all who have supported me and my family. I look forward to a brighter future.”
Beams surprised many by organising a trip to the Kokoda Track in October and has started painting as a form of therapy.
He last month put his 2010 premiership medal up for auction to raise money for bushfire victims, with Collingwood president Eddie McGuire registering the highest bid and purchasing it for $27,500.

I think Dayne is essentially a good person.

On a football side of things, he gave us really good service and then sort of left us high and dry.

So I am conflicted somewhat as to how I feel about how things have turned out for him.

Yet comforted by the fact that our footy club let him go when it had to and still came out smelling roses :footy:

I think Dayne is essentially a good person.

On a football side of things, he gave us really good service and then sort of left us high and dry.

So I am conflicted somewhat as to how I feel about how things have turned out for him.

Yet comforted by the fact that our footy club let him go when it had to and still came out smelling roses :footy:

I think it is not unreasonable to feel empathy for him at a human level but be grateful for how it turned out for our club from a footballing level.

As a complete aside, I think if you take the view that most people are “essentially good”, then the world becomes a much easier place to live in, IMO.

After yesterday’s GC game zorko was interviewing a player who was honest and full on and took the microphone out of his hand every time she answered his questions. He (and I) cracked up and later zorkosaid she reminded him of hm.

which for me is player with a personality that’s not strictly PC, gets it wrong sometimes but makes me smile often.

The women’s comp seems to have a few of them and I love watching them. Dakota is ours.

I love our current men’s set up, and it’s a winning formula but I sometimes miss the crazies.

My question - is there room for the crazies in the modern era of the men’s game?

My personal opinion is nope-they are being schooled in seriousness from a young age. Cam has taken hits last year cause he was too unprofessional (at 18!!).

After yesterday’s GC game zorko was interviewing a player who was honest and full on and took the microphone out of his hand every time she answered his questions. He (and I) cracked up and later zorkosaid she reminded him of hm.

which for me is player with a personality that’s not strictly PC, gets it wrong sometimes but makes me smile often.

The women’s comp seems to have a few of them and I love watching them. Dakota is ours.

I love our current men’s set up, and it’s a winning formula but I sometimes miss the crazies.

My question - is there room for the crazies in the modern era of the men’s game?

My personal opinion is nope-they are being schooled in seriousness from a young age. Cam has taken hits last year cause he was too unprofessional (at 18!!).
I think there is room for a little bit of crazy, but there is definitely no excuses for being unfit, in this day and age.
Cam copped a bit of flack for being unfit. Which was infact the case, Which he has admitted to himself. He has worked very hard to fix that this pre-season.
So maybe it was the best thing for him? Time will tell.
I love Cams infectious attitude and I hope he smashes it this year.

As for the crazy’s, I would love another Aker at the Lions.
And we still have Mitch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there isn't it's not because throwing a football around on grass has changed....

I guess Matho and MRobbo would be our crazies at the moment.

I believe white line fever is ok, but teams these days are reluctant to take on a player who’s off field behaviour might be viewed as self destructive, and have a negative impact on a clubs “brand”.

But I would love to have an Aker in our team. I believe there might only be one player in the league who might come close, and he hasn’t played a game yet.

Matho and the "shotgun" was criticized. Bit disappointing as l really liked it.

I think there is room for a little bit of crazy, but there is definitely no excuses for being unfit, in this day and age.
Cam copped a bit of flack for being unfit. Which was infact the case, Which he has admitted to himself. He has worked very hard to fix that this pre-season.
So maybe it was the best thing for him? Time will tell.
I love Cams infectious attitude and I hope he smashes it this year.

As for the crazy’s, I would love another Aker at the Lions.
And we still have Mitch.
Aker was an out and out champion but in the end became a very divisive member of the group alienating too good people, including many Vossy, Black and Lethal. I will be forever grateful for his contribution to our premiership years but he really did become toxic in the end.

An extract from a short article in SEN.

Nine AFL players earn $1 million in 2019.
One past Lion's player mentioned. North must have had plenty of salary cap space if true.

"While player salaries aren’t publicly accessible, Dustin Martin, Nathan Fyfe and Lance Franklin are three players known to be in the bracket."

"Jeremy Cameron, Jeremy McGovern, Josh Kelly, Scott Pendlebury, Patrick Dangerfield, Andrew Gaff, Patrick Cripps, Jared Polec and Marcus Bontempelli are among the other contenders to be around the mark."

One past Lion's player mentioned. North must have had plenty of salary cap space if true.

"While player salaries aren’t publicly accessible, Dustin Martin, Nathan Fyfe and Lance Franklin are three players known to be in the bracket."

"Jeremy Cameron, Jeremy McGovern, Josh Kelly, Scott Pendlebury, Patrick Dangerfield, Andrew Gaff, Patrick Cripps, Jared Polec and Marcus Bontempelli are among the other contenders to be around the mark."
Holy s**t, if Jared Polec is on anywhere near a million dollars....

Gee spot the odd one out. Norf would be mad to be paying him that.

AFL.com.au has more concrete details:

North Melbourne recruit Jared Polec signed a heavily front-ended deal after he left Port Adelaide, placing him among those in or near the million-dollar zone on 2019 books.

So a temporary measure, like Jack Martin for the year coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back