Non-Lions discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I have had a few thoughts on the Maynard incident, which for whatever reason is the hottest topic in footy right now.
I believe that Maynard absolutely meant to make Brayshaw earn his kick with a good body check when the opportunity arrived. He is that type of old school player that was taught to make everyone earn their possession. I don't believe he meant to hit him high, but it was always a chance in that situation.
The defence of what else could he do falls apart IMO when I asked myself, if it was playing football with a kid or an older person would he have adjusted himself differently to the way he did in this situation? The answer is a big yes. The onus is now not just on protecting yourself but trying to do so in a way that reasonably protects your opponent as well. Maynard failed to do that.
I would suspect everyone here has played footy with a kid whether they be a teenager, I know I have, and when you find yourself in a position that means you are likely going to end up going straight through a kid, most people, manage to mitigate as much damage as possible by using their arms etc. Watch any father son games and you will see both kids (depending on age) and the fathers put themselves into positions to stop themselves from hurting each other while they are both in positions that could result in a big hit.

It can be done. I am all for making players earn their kicks when you can and being physical but we all know that if you happen to hit the opposition high, it is a holiday and it is part of the risk you take.

I see some idiot Collingwood supporter saying you can't legislate non-intentional acts out of the game. That is 100% wrong, players have changed the way they tackle for one thing. There is also legislation about careless driving or careless acts etc in society where the government has (rightly) said that the onus is on you to take care of the people in your immediate area with any action taken.
Personally I think there are 2 acts as part of the incident.
The first part, I don’t think that anybody would argue that it wasn’t a ‘Football Act’.

But the second part of it I think we need to ask, could he have done things any differently.

If it was a physical training session between him and his own team mates and he attacked the first part in exactly the same manner would he have made a different choice with the second part knowing that it was his team mate he was about to hit.
If the answer is yes, which I personally think it is. Then he should get the 3 weeks. (Minimum)

I even heard a caller on radio today say how come Brayshaw is not at fault because he should have seen Maynard coming and baulked him. Oh my it was hilarious.
Was that the lady from Tassie?

If so, I heard a lady from Tassie call up saying the same thing and she dead set sounded like the biggest brain dead bogan you’d come across who was utterly clueless; it’s actually surprising they just don’t cut the line with callers like that; comedy aside.

Personally I think there are 2 acts as part of the incident.
The first part, I don’t think that anybody would argue that it wasn’t a ‘Football Act’.

But the second part of it I think we need to ask, could he have done things any differently.

If it was a physical training session between him and his own team mates and he attacked the first part in exactly the same manner would he have made a different choice with the second part knowing that it was his team mate he was about to hit.
If the answer is yes, which I personally think it is. Then he should get the 3 weeks. (Minimum)
You rarely see a player trying to smother a ball in the motion Maynard used. It’s one thing to jump vertically but he essentially launched himself at Brayshaw in much the same way Pickett did earlier in the year against Bailey Smith with the obvious exception that he initially jumped up with his arms outstretched. Most player when smothering jump across the kicking players leg not cannon into him at force in a spearing motion and if he did so, I don’t buy that he has to protect himself which is why he turned his body and if he did, he wears the consequences of his actions which unlike Pickett who got lucky and didn’t injure Smith, Maynard has knocked out his opponent so severely that it won’t be a 12 day sitting out but rather a season and or career ending injury - previous head knocks aside - and yes I’ve seen Collingwood saying that the Brayshaws knock a few minutes earlier means that it broke the chain of causation and was solely attributed to Maynard’s act.

Does he bring a little gift for the panel tonight, a little goody bag to take home?
Some locally sourced honey? Scented candles?
If they use the “good guy defence” tonight and that he showed remorse by going over to Brayshaw’s home with wine and flowers I will vomit 🤮.

AFL demonstrating they can't walk and chew gum at the same time. It's Tuesday and they still haven't decided whether to slightly screw over Collingwood by giving them "only" a 7 day break leading into a Grand Final (with no travel obligations), or whether to completely screw over:

• Port Adelaide, by giving them a 6 day break leading into a preliminary final
  • GWS, by giving them a 6 day break, which by the time they are actually able to leave Adelaide will have become a 5 day break
  • Dual footy code fans in Brisbane (vested interest acknowledged 🙋)

Worse yet, it's quite possible this scheduling outcome could be linked to today's tribunal result. It beggars belief that this would be possible but there are flawed humans and vested interests and politics involved all over the place here.

You rarely see a player trying to smother a ball in the motion Maynard used. It’s one thing to jump vertically but he essentially launched himself at Brayshaw in much the same way Pickett did earlier in the year against Bailey Smith with the obvious exception that he initially jumped up with his arms outstretched. Most player when smothering jump across the kicking players leg not cannon into him at force in a spearing motion and if he did so, I don’t buy that he has to protect himself which is why he turned his body and if he did, he wears the consequences of his actions which unlike Pickett who got lucky and didn’t injure Smith, Maynard has knocked out his opponent so severely that it won’t be a 12 day sitting out but rather a season and or career ending injury - previous head knocks aside - and yes I’ve seen Collingwood saying that the Brayshaws knock a few minutes earlier means that it broke the chain of causation and was solely attributed to Maynard’s act.
If I was running the prosecution case I'd be lining up vision of previous attempts by Maynard to smother.

Don't think they'll find one like this.

If they use the “good guy defence” tonight and that he showed remorse by going over to Brayshaw’s home with wine and flowers I will vomit 🤮.
There's actually more Vic bias here too... in no other city do you get the choice of 8 other clubs to "just pop around to someone's house".

None of our guys would be able to do that for a player at any other club... even if it was a Gold Coast player it's still a 2 hour round trip.

Yet another reason why the good bloke defence is pure hypocrisy and an absolute disgrace, but yet one that the AFL has acknowledged plays a part in determining tribunal outcomes! It's absurd. Real bush league stuff.

Was that the lady from Tassie?

If so, I heard a lady from Tassie call up saying the same thing and she dead set sounded like the biggest brain dead bogan you’d come across who was utterly clueless; it’s actually surprising they just don’t cut the line with callers like that; comedy aside.
Nah it was a collingwood supporter but he was a male.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's completely wrong.

The thugs of the game won't change their behavior ( not saying Maynard is a thug, saying players who are will have been watching this closely).

They had the chance to make a statement, but instead we will continue to see conclusions from both the totally random acts and careless acts.

Guarantee Mitch Robinson would have been wiped out for that act.

Sucks.

Remember touching someone's face is a week if you're Dayne Zorko

Jeopardising someone's health and career isn't

Remember touching someone's face is a week if you're Dayne Zorko

Jeopardising someone's health and career isn't
I recall Zork's also getting a suspension for a tummy tap on someone a few years ago... it happened multiple times a game then and still does.

As Gadzorks pointed out and I agree, there is no doubt in my mind that if Mitch Robbo was still playing and did the exact same action the media narrative would have been a lot different and he would have been suspended.

Certainly sets a precedent doesn’t it?

Pies fans are up and about the decision. Fair enough.

I’m sure they’d be just as understanding if Toby, for example, goes through their golden boy with the same “football act” during a prelim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back