MFC Fans Only Non-MFC related footy chat 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a Pro-Q Frontier kettle smoker from BBQ's Galore. I've literally never used one in my life so a bit of experimentation going on.
brisket took me almost 12 months maybe more to get right.

make sure you dont pull it until it gers to 195 farenheit and for the love of god let it sit in a towel for at least an hour until you start cutting it

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

I always tend to keep an eye on players drafted that were (reportedly) in our calculations, so keen to have a bit of a look at Will Gould playing for Sydney today. Hasn't disappointed so far, absolutely cleaned up De Boer about 5mins into the first!

Also, that doesn't look great for Tarranto and his shoulder, popped out doing very little, thats usually surgery territory, unless you want it to keep coming out.

I always tend to keep an eye on players drafted that were (reportedly) in our calculations, so keen to have a bit of a look at Will Gould playing for Sydney today. Hasn't disappointed so far, absolutely cleaned up De Boer about 5mins into the first!

Also, that doesn't look great for Tarranto and his shoulder, popped out doing very little, thats usually surgery territory, unless you want it to keep coming out.
Yep already have a man crush on Gould. Looks like a campaigner of a player 💓

Always a really good sign when a draftee comes into the AFL and does the same things he was doing on his highlights package, and that's a bit tick for Gould so far.
Green looks bloody good as well. Not the type of player we needed, but he looks like another Oliver in the making. GWS have an amazing list. And considering the talent they've let go as well, it's hard seeing them out of finals for the next number of years. They'll be very hard to beat this year..

Green looks bloody good as well. Not the type of player we needed, but he looks like another Oliver in the making. GWS have an amazing list. And considering the talent they've let go as well, it's hard seeing them out of finals for the next number of years. They'll be very hard to beat this year..
Yeah, they bat so deep, when they let one of their stars go for a premium, they replace him with a star who has developed nicely in the reserves for a couple of years, perfect list management.

Carlton Freo game vile to watch. Preseason obviously but skills are super ordinary plus exceedingly dull and dire ball movement by blues in particular
I watched most of the third quarter.

Honestly would have been easier to sit through Harvey Weinsteins court case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton Freo game vile to watch. Preseason obviously but skills are super ordinary plus exceedingly dull and dire ball movement by blues in particular
David Teague and Rhys Shaw seemed like two really odd choices for coach. Every stand-in coach will free the players up from their rigid gameplans, simplify things and experiment to see what they can do. It makes them unpredictable for a bit but its not sustainable.

Carlton are at the stage of development where they should be pushing for finals, but I don't really see it happening. I don't even know why North ditched Brad Scott considering their list profile and his pretty respectable tenure.

David Teague and Rhys Shaw seemed like two really odd choices for coach. Every stand-in coach will free the players up from their rigid gameplans, simplify things and experiment to see what they can do. It makes them unpredictable for a bit but its not sustainable.

Carlton are at the stage of development where they should be pushing for finals, but I don't really see it happening. I don't even know why North ditched Brad Scott considering their list profile and his pretty respectable tenure.
Rhys Shaw I like, but that’s purely based on how he interviews and speaks to media. I have no idea as yet whether he can coach. Teague I can’t get my head around. I think his hair disturbs me or something.

I still have strong suspicions that Blues list isn’t the great dynasty in the making the supporters seem to believe. Cripps is a crazy good totally undisputed gun. Curnow looks talented, McKay too - wait and see in terms of injuries though. I reckon Weitering will be good, and Walsh is a very very strong second year player. Outside of them, I feel bluebaggers are just convinced all will “take the next step” because high draft picks, and SOS recruited them

Scott, while not a bad coach at North, wasn't really taking them anywhere. They seemed to be treading water in the last few years of his tenure, not terrible, but never likely to get higher than 6-7. They still seem a bit unsure about whether they're in the mix to push for a flag in the next couple of years, or get more youngsters into their side and build for 5 years time. In the meantime they're stuck in no-mans land where they're neither challenging for top-4 nor getting good picks to draft/trade with (though we've charitably helped them there).
Carlton seem to be in a similar boat. A solid spine (when fit), a genuine star in Cripps, but drop off pretty quick after that. Then again, the Tigers were pretty similar a few years back and got rid of the chaff (or they turned good) and shot up the ladder. I'm a bit more optimistic about the Blues chances then you are, definitely think they could sneak into the eight (barring catastrophic injury to Curnow, McKay, Cripps). Probably week 1 fodder if they make it, but a reasonable chance to get there.

Rhys Shaw I like, but that’s purely based on how he interviews and speaks to media. I have no idea as yet whether he can coach. Teague I can’t get my head around. I think his hair disturbs me or something.

I still have strong suspicions that Blues list isn’t the great dynasty in the making the supporters seem to believe. Cripps is a crazy good totally undisputed gun. Curnow looks talented, McKay too - wait and see in terms of injuries though. I reckon Weitering will be good, and Walsh is a very very strong second year player. Outside of them, I feel bluebaggers are just convinced all will “take the next step” because high draft picks, and SOS recruited them

Curnow is a genuine concern imo. Very talented yet still hasn’t played a year as good as Hogan’s first or second and is now in his 5th year in the system and unlikely to appear before the bye. Injuries and whatnot seem to follow him around.

And yes carlton supporters always overrate the s**t out of their list. I’d back a club with proven strong development like adelaide to play finals before the blues from here.

brisket took me almost 12 months maybe more to get right.

make sure you dont pull it until it gers to 195 farenheit and for the love of god let it sit in a towel for at least an hour until you start cutting it

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

A little late.

I think as far as a first cook goes I was reasonably successful. I ****ed up early as I overfilled the basket with charcoal and I didn't wait for it to settle before putting my brisket down. So it got way too hot in the kettle, the smoker has some vents you can adjust to control airflow but I couldn't get the heat down until I closed all of them. That was successful in getting the heat down but it also meant my charcoals went out so I had to take the hood off and relight them. Lesson learned.

From there it was pretty smooth but that initial screw-up cost me a bit in the smoking process. I wasn't quite able to get the bark on the brisket. Not a complete disaster though, the brisket turned out really tender and still had that smoky flavour. Goes excellent with a bit of BBQ sauce.

Apologies for the blurry photo my phone camera sucks.

Attachments

• IMG_20200229_192427.jpg
    IMG_20200229_192427.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 121
A little late.

I think as far as a first cook goes I was reasonably successful. I f’ed up early as I overfilled the basket with charcoal and I didn't wait for it to settle before putting my brisket down. So it got way too hot in the kettle, the smoker has some vents you can adjust to control airflow but I couldn't get the heat down until I closed all of them. That was successful in getting the heat down but it also meant my charcoals went out so I had to take the hood off and relight them. Lesson learned.

From there it was pretty smooth but that initial screw-up cost me a bit in the smoking process. I wasn't quite able to get the bark on the brisket. Not a complete disaster though, the brisket turned out really tender and still had that smoky flavour. Goes excellent with a bit of BBQ sauce.

Apologies for the blurry photo my phone camera sucks.
Nice one looks good

Brisket is bloody hard to get the hang off as there is a small time frame from it being too tough or too dry.

Some tips I have picked up with regards to brisket is when the int temp gets to about 165 farenheit it can start stalling so wrap the brisket in either butchers paper or tin foil and pour some coke or apple juice in with it. Will help the juicieness

Another thing I do is smoke it over night so it is ready to pull off the smoker at about 1-2pm. Then I let it rest for 2-3 hours to relax the meat

But the best advice I got was if you think your brisket turned out ok only change one thing each time you do a smoke rather than changing the whole process

Nice one looks good

Brisket is bloody hard to get the hang off as there is a small time frame from it being too tough or too dry.

Some tips I have picked up with regards to brisket is when the int temp gets to about 165 farenheit it can start stalling so wrap the brisket in either butchers paper or tin foil and pour some coke or apple juice in with it. Will help the juicieness

Another thing I do is smoke it over night so it is ready to pull off the smoker at about 1-2pm. Then I let it rest for 2-3 hours to relax the meat

But the best advice I got was if you think your brisket turned out ok only change one thing each time you do a smoke rather than changing the whole process

I'm having a BBQ this weekend so I'll have a chance to try a couple of things then. Half way through I actually did wrap it up, I put the brisket into a tin bbq tray, filled it with with a broth of beef stock, beer, and apple cider vinegar then wrapped it all up in foil. That was thanks to the advice I got from the butcher.

I read another good prep technique is letting the meat sit in a brine overnight. I might try that this week, then I can just focus on getting my smoker's temp right before I start the cooking process.

How bloody good would it be if even only every few years we played WA in WA or at at the G. Play it in pre season if need be when players need match practice anyways.

Would be unreal playing the sandgropers at the new Perth stadium

Daisy Pearce thinks dusty is the greatest of all time. Apparently just started watching footy 5 years ago.
Daisy is usually a decent commentator but this is just silly. If he wins another couple of Norm Smith's/Brownlows then maybe, but atm it's a big reach.
She has her own radio show doesn't she(?) so I guess making outlandish statements fills time easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back