Autopsy Norm Smith Medal Panel - Whose she paying?

Remove this Banner Ad

So in summary of the last 7 pages.
1. If I had a stab at a Maclure and Wallace in OP as well It would have been considered PC (apparently, i'm not buying it though) AND (I did say down the bottom of the OP "not the best panel" referring to the whole panel, just because I chose to hone in on 1 of those members means nothing.
2. PC patrol with their pitchforks and torches are in good numbers
3. People just waiting to be offended, it's almost like you all want to be offended.
4. People love reading between the lines, some bloke even had the guts to spill that I was inferring she was having sex with someone (what a load of nonsense). The original content of the OP warped into "her having sex with someone" without me even posting anything of content again. Thats unreal.

The point is, She didn't have the required merit to vote on the Norm Smith, not because she's a woman, but because she's not f****** qualified.
Yes Wallace and Maclure have more merit being on the voting panel ahead of her and anyone saying otherwise IS ANTI-MALE! HOW DARE THEY, SO SEXIST.
See how ******ed that argument is? Wallace and Maclure although both media peanuts both had long successful AFL careers and have the necessary merit to be on that panel.
Macclure is entering Newman dinosaur territory these days-younger ex players needed and she is perfect fit. Plenty of merit in her appointment-her analysis of the game is good. I heard Maclure's analysis of why the crows would win the flag-it was because Richmond were getting bigheads and that gave him the irates. He was having a joke but quite a bit of his commentary is pretty shallow lately. Silly thread.

1. If I had a stab at a Maclure and Wallace in OP as well It would have been considered PC (apparently, i'm not buying it though) AND (I did say down the bottom of the OP "not the best panel" referring to the whole panel, just because I chose to hone in on 1 of those members means nothing.
3. People just waiting to be offended, it's almost like you all want to be offended.
4. People love reading between the lines, some bloke even had the guts to spill that I was inferring she was having sex with someone (what a load of nonsense). The original content of the OP warped into "her having sex with someone" without me even posting anything of content again. Thats unreal.

The point is, She didn't have the required merit to vote on the Norm Smith, not because she's a woman, but because she's not f****** qualified.
Yes Wallace and Maclure have more merit being on the voting panel ahead of her and anyone saying otherwise IS ANTI-MALE! HOW DARE THEY, SO SEXIST.
See how ******ed that argument is? Wallace and Maclure although both media peanuts both had long successful AFL careers and have the necessary merit to be on that panel.
She voted 3 Dusty 2 Houli 1 Prestia.
She gets the game better than half of the presenters around.
What's more, she also doesn't have a completely ridiculous bias (looking at you Cameron Ling).

If Melbourne had won the AFLW flag and she took home the MVP would you have cared?

The reality is, Daisy Pearce is the best female footballer ever.

- 10x VFLW Premiership Player (Darebin)
- 8x VFLW Premiership Captain
- 7x VFLW B&F winner
- First player drafted for exhibition games - #1 OVERALL for the first exhibition game.
- Captain of Melbourne
- 2017 All-Australian captain
- 2017 Melbourne B&F winner

No record stacks up to it.

You're happy with Judd being on there - a 2x Brownlow medallist, premiership player. If you're happy with him, then why not the 10x premiership player?

..The point is, She didn't have the required merit to vote on the Norm Smith, not because she's a woman, but because she's not f****** qualified.

What is the required merit and qualifications to be on the norm Smith voting panel?

No offence or anything but whinging about women is kinda sad and pathetic really.

It seems that the biggest sooks about women in the AFL are from the ones who really have an axe to grind about them. I'm not one to just cry misogyny but there's generally this whole element of 'get back in the kitchen' from most complaints about women in football.

People are having a crack cause none of your arguments against her being on the panel have any merit.

The OP was purely directed at her selection, so that's why all responses have been about her. Saying 'not the best panel' in the last line of the OP was irrelevant to any of the debate.

You've never offered any reasoning as to what is required to be qualified. You've offered numerous blokes as suggestions for replacements for her, but never indicated why these replacements are any better. Then you go and mention Erin Phillips as being more qualified. Daisy has done far, far more in football than Erin has, while Daisy also has had a significant exposure to the football media as well. I'd love you to offer how Erin is more qualified, but prettt confident you won't.

After all has been said and done, Daisy voted for Martin, Houli, Prestia. Pretty close to the mark I'd say, given what I've read of others opinions. For comparison Judd had Martin and Houli as 1-2, while Niall had the exact same 3.

This is the answer I'm really keen to hear from Aramis on.

That, and letting us know why Erin Phillips is more qualified. Maybe it's an Olympic Medal thing...?
Maybe 1 AFLW premiership outweighs ten VFLW premierships even though 9 of them were when the AFLW didn't even exist and all ten had 90% of the AFLW players playing in it?

Maybe 1 AFLW premiership outweighs ten VFLW premierships even though 9 of them were when the AFLW didn't even exist and all ten had 90% of the AFLW players playing in it?
Pretty sure the thing that makes Erin qualified, and Daisy not, is that Daisy was selected and Erin wasn't. Had it been the other way around, he would have still posted this thread, it just would have been about Erin being unqualified.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

She’s better than Ling.

Mediocrity-Setting-the-Bar-Low.jpg

I'm still unclear why you think Daisy is unqualified , but you think Erin would have been.

This is the answer I'm really keen to hear from Aramis on.

That, and letting us know why Erin Phillips is more qualified. Maybe it's an Olympic Medal thing...?

Ok here it is....
Erin Phillips v Daisy Pearce

Erin went and watched her dad play SANFL and VFL when she was young, she was a talented footballer who had to give it up due to lack of pathways although described as "one of the most talented female footballers in the country".

She just captained the Adelaide Crows to the inaugural AFLW premiership and basically clean swept every single award from the "Brownlow" equivalent AFLW BnF, AFLWPA MVP, All-Australian Vice captain (should have been captain, no idea how Daisy got the nod over her), She actually won the equivalent of the "Norm Smith" medal too in the AFLW grand final. Goal of the year in round 3 too. Add this to her incredible CV in other sports/gold medal olympian which I'll admit is of little relevance in this case but nonetheless still relevant.

Sure she doesn't have the 10 "premierships" that Daisy has playing for Darebin FC in some competition no one actually cared about.(is that really what it takes to judge a Norm Smith these days?) but she came into the league as a high achieving professional basketballer and destroyed the league, she was twice the player of anyone else in that league with nowhere near the amount of development/exposure as atleast 50% of the other girls in that league had the chance of.

IMO 1 premiership in the AFLW is worth more than 10 playing for Darebin FC.
Obviously this is all opinion based and someone may believe Daisy is more qualified, thats fine, more power to you.
Combine all the above with the fact she seems to have been thrusted into the media at every opportunity and it just feels like an incredibly contrived attempt to push Daisy, a footballer from a victorian based club into the media for the sake of it. I don't think she's very good in the media and this just adds to me contempt for someone I feel is just being handed it all on a silver platter just because that is who was "chosen" (by the AFL) to be the face of AFLW when in fact Erin Phillips has clearly shown to be the superstar they so dearly want Daisy to be.

Obviously this is all based on my opinion of her "MERIT's"... absolutely nothing to do with "GENDER" as the witch hunters in here are trying to make out.
I'm a massive fan of the AFLW and watched a lot of it on TV... feel free to go look through my post history and you will see many posts of my pro-AFLW/women in football stance.

I don't care about replying to the PC patrol because honestly, whats the f****** point?

Pretty sure the thing that makes Erin qualified, and Daisy not, is that Daisy was selected and Erin wasn't. Had it been the other way around, he would have still posted this thread, it just would have been about Erin being unqualified.

Complete and utter rubbish. Go through my history of posting on the AFLW and you will find nothing untoward against women in football. Get off your high horse.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Judd played at the highest standard possible, not at the level of local junior boys football. The two aren't comparable.

Nah clearly Judd and Daisy have equal merit to vote on a Norm Smith.... :rolleyes:

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
tall poppy syndrome more like it.
Daisy has embraced the invitation to be a part of the AFL media. Erin went back to the States to continue a role in WNBA.
She has been the face of the AFLW since it got going, has moved into a prominent role in AFL media and, despite being on topic and eloquent most of the time, her inexperience showing through seems to have upset a lot of people who use it to paint a picture of a job for someone less qualified than someone else based on gender.

This ignores the fact that i imagine there are quite a number of people out there who would be better than Ling, Richo, Basil, Barrett, Hutchy, Newman, King, J & N Brown, Johnson, Robbo - i could go on - or the mundane drone of Dermie or Carey, or over-performance of BT & McAvaney, who should be better - who are not there on merit.

Fox/Seven put them on to fill a role.
They do research on this. It's why Sam Newman still has a job, Madden got the gig on TFS, why Hutchy was removed & Eddie brought back. Why Whately & Robbo work so well as a pair.
No one can be everything to everyone. And everyone on air will piss someone off with their presence.
You try to attract as many demographics as possible.

if you think these people are hired on merit, you're kidding yourself
Getting angry at one person over 30+ others smacks of you just not liking them
Build a bridge. or start your own media franchise.

Ok here it is....

Erin went and watched her dad play SANFL and VFL when she was young, she was a talented footballer who had to give it up due to lack of pathways although he described as "one of the most talented female footballers in the country".

She just captained the Adelaide Crows to the inaugural AFLW premiership and basically clean sweeped every single award from the "Brownlow" equivalent AFLW BnF, AFLWPA MVP, All-Australian Vice captain (should have been captain, no idea how Daisy got the nod over her), She actually won the equivalent of the "Norm Smith" medal too in the AFLW grand final. Goal of the year in round 3 too.

Sure she doesn't have the 10 "premierships" that Daisy has playing for Darebin FC in some competition no one actually cared about.(is that really what it takes to judge a Norm Smith these days?) but she came into the league as a high achieving professional basketballer and destroyed the league, she was twice the player of anyone else in that league with nowhere near the amount of development/exposure as atleast 50% of the other girls in that league had the chance of.

Obviously this is all opinion based and someone may believe Daisy is more qualified, thats fine, more power to you.
Combine all the above with the fact she seems to have been thrusted into the media at every opportunity and it just feels like an incredibly contrived attempt to push Daisy, a footballer from a victorian based club into the media for the sake of it. I don't think she's very good in the media and this just adds to me contempt for someone I feel is just being handed it all on a silver platter just because that who was "chosen" to be the face of AFLW when in fact Erin Phillips has clearly shown to be the superstar they so dearly want Daisy to be.

Obviously this is all based on my opinion of her "MERIT's"... absolutely nothing to do with "GENDER" as the witch hunters in here are trying to make out.
I'm a massive fan of the AFLW and watched a lot of it on TV... feel free to go look through my post history and you will see many posts of my pro-AFLW/women in football stance.

I don't care about replying to the PC patrol because honestly, whats the f****** point?
You clearly don't know anything about the VFLW then. You clearly don't know that both Darebin and Diamond Creek had a heap of the top AFLW talents on both sides. You clearly don't know that the VFLW formed the basis for the AFLW playing lists. The VFLW has been the peak competition for women in the country up until January this year. Daisy has been completely dominant in that competition for a decade now.

Erin was a brilliant footballer as a junior. I'm not taking away from that at all. She was considered the best U14 player - male or female - in South Australia when she was that age. I'm not surprised she took over the comp. But to blast Daisy just because she wasn't the medallist this year after being the dominant player for the last ten is a crock of s**t as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention that she did still win a raft of awards, and that Melbourne missed the grand final on percentage alone. If Melbourne had played Brisbane for the GF would you have thought differently?

You clearly don't know anything about the VFLW then. You clearly don't know that both Darebin and Diamond Creek had a heap of the top AFLW talents on both sides. You clearly don't know that the VFLW formed the basis for the AFLW playing lists. The VFLW has been the peak competition for women in the country up until January this year. Daisy has been completely dominant in that competition for a decade now.

Erin was a brilliant footballer as a junior. I'm not taking away from that at all. She was considered the best U14 player - male or female - in South Australia when she was that age. I'm not surprised she took over the comp. But to blast Daisy just because she wasn't the medallist this year after being the dominant player for the last ten is a crock of s**t as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention that she did still win a raft of awards, and that Melbourne missed the grand final on percentage alone. If Melbourne had played Brisbane for the GF would you have thought differently?

IF Melbourne had won the grand final and she won all the awards Erin did then this would be a non-issue.
You're right I don't know much about the VFLW and i'd argue that a large of percentage of people don't either, hardly worthy of merit-generating content then. But what i do know about the VFLW is if a team can win 8 premierships in 10 years It couldn't have been that good a competition.

The voting is over, it is finished, we have a winner, the world did not end and the votes came in very similar by all judges.

Thankfully they all did a good job in a very hard year to pick the Norm Smith, could have gone to either Dusty or Houli and I would have had no issue.

Nah clearly Judd and Daisy have equal merit to vote on a Norm Smith.... :rolleyes:

I'm not questioning her feel for the game, she seems to be as knowledgeable as the average fan who's played some football in their lives. She's nothing special however, as aren't most boundary riders as their job really is to be Captain Obvious and report injuries.

I think the point is that the VFLW isn't in the top 100 AFL competitions in the state

IF Melbourne had won the grand final and she won all the awards Erin did then this would be a non-issue.
You're right I don't know much about the VFLW and i'd argue that a large of percentage of people don't either, hardly worthy of merit-generating content then. But what i do know about the VFLW is if a team can win 8 premierships in 10 years It couldn't have been that good a competition.
If. If. If, you've gone with a nonsensical thread over a non existent issue, embarrassed yourself, your family, the Hawthorn football club and all of bigfooty. Give it away now and wish this thread disappears never to be bumped again.

I think the point is that the VFLW isn't in the top 100 AFL competitions in the state
She's also been identified (per the initial expansion draft) as the best female footballer in the country and has just been named captain of the All-Australian side. Her VFLW accolades sit alongside those achievements.

If. If. If, you've gone with a nonsensical thread over a non existent issue, embarrassed yourself, your family, the Hawthorn football club and all of bigfooty. Give it away now and wish this thread disappears never to be bumped again.

I was replying to someone who brought up the hypothetical, don't care if it gets bumped, I've got nothing to be ashamed of here. I know what I meant an no amount of idiots is going to change my position on this. I had no anti-female agenda.

You're the embarrassment who reads 1 post out of context and decides to just take a stab, write something of value or f*** off.

Ok here it is....

Erin went and watched her dad play SANFL and VFL when she was young, she was a talented footballer who had to give it up due to lack of pathways although described as "one of the most talented female footballers in the country".

She just captained the Adelaide Crows to the inaugural AFLW premiership and basically clean swept every single award from the "Brownlow" equivalent AFLW BnF, AFLWPA MVP, All-Australian Vice captain (should have been captain, no idea how Daisy got the nod over her), She actually won the equivalent of the "Norm Smith" medal too in the AFLW grand final. Goal of the year in round 3 too. Add this to her incredible CV in other sports/gold medal olympian which I'll admit is of little relevance in this case but nonetheless still relevant.

Combine all the above with the fact she seems to have been thrusted into the media at every opportunity and it just feels like an incredibly contrived attempt to push Daisy, a footballer from a victorian based club into the media for the sake of it. I don't think she's very good in the media and this just adds to me contempt for someone I feel is just being handed it all on a silver platter just because that is who was "chosen" (by the AFL) to be the face of AFLW when in fact Erin Phillips has clearly shown to be the superstar they so dearly want Daisy to be.

Complete and utter rubbish. Go through my history of posting on the AFLW and you will find nothing untoward against women in football. Get off your high horse.
So in a nutshell, Erin is a better athlete so that makes her a more qualified judge? On that basis Daisy was ahead of most of the panel anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back