North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Kangas need a package of picks like the Gold Coast received to be competitive in the near/medium term future.

I might change my tune if we lose to them this weekend however.

No they don’t they played finals only a few years back jeez

The majority of the clubs you listed recieved the priority picks under the old criteria. The criteria has changed because clubs were exploiting the system by tanking.

It is noted clubs such as GC has recieved a priority pick, but they were a lot worse than North for longer. They were also bleeding players in their prime (or about to hit their prime) to other clubs they wanted to keep. Most of the players North lost are due to retirement or towards the end of their careers.

Poor list management alone ??
Shades of Melbourne, how many good kids were burnt in the process?

So every time a team totally misjudges their list, tops up with potatoes and surprisingly, doesn't get near it and falls in a heap, they get a PP? It is ****ing dumb. Leaving aside the fact that adding 18yos in no way helps you be competitive in the short term.

That's the exact opposite of how risk should work. You shouldn't be rewarded with a safety net for taking a higher risk. I am sure they wouldn't have given away their 1st rounder had it worked and they won the flag.

Gold Coast makes sense to some extent because the place could literally fail and the market is worth a mint to the AFL. Any established heartland clubs, stiff ****, including my own. You get yourself into a mess, you get yourself out of it.

Send a decent administrator their way instead.

Hard to deny.

In Norths case the AFL admin were in it up to their armpits, see Scott rewarded with a job at head office.

To everyone saying it should be 2 years or more....

How much further do we go?

We've currently lost 14 in a row and won 1 of our last 21 games, with another 16 rounds to go in the season.

We might conceivably go 2/37 games.

That absolutely qualifies historically.

Also, i think the following clubs supporters can refrain from this discussion: Melbourne, Carlton, Hawthorn, Collingwood, West Coast, Richmond, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs, Fremantle, GC - as they all look like absolute hypocrites having all received Pick 3 or better in the past. Some of them multiple times.

We also might conceivably not get Pick #1 this year after finishing last, just as we didn't get pick #2 last year after finishing 17th.

Spend a bit more time on the problem rather than digging for excuses.

What sort of questions did you ask at the last AGM ?

If NMFC win < 3 games, then yeah it's hard to justify not getting one.

When you add into the mix the fact we lost our senior coach less than 12 months into his stint due to mental health issues, it's not a hard sell for most rational neutrals one would assume.
Crows were likened to the worst afl team in 100 years last year until winning 3 games. They were never going to be offered one why should NM?

Crows were likened to the worst afl team in 100 years last year until winning 3 games. They were never going to be offered one why should NM?
Thats an assumption.

They also never applied for one.

FWIW we are a whole 10% worse off than Adelaide were after Round 6 last year.

So it is different.

So every time a team totally misjudges their list, tops up with potatoes and surprisingly, doesn't get near it and falls in a heap, they get a PP? It is ****ing dumb. Leaving aside the fact that adding 18yos in no way helps you be competitive in the short term.

That's the exact opposite of how risk should work. You shouldn't be rewarded with a safety net for taking a higher risk. I am sure they wouldn't have given away their 1st rounder had it worked and they won the flag.

Gold Coast makes sense to some extent because the place could literally fail and the market is worth a mint to the AFL. Any established heartland clubs, stiff ****, including my own. You get yourself into a mess, you get yourself out of it.

Send a decent administrator their way instead.

Isn't this an Oxymoron?

We did exactly as you asked.

We could have bottomed out after 2017, instead, we recruited more experienced players to get more competitive and to push back up the ladder.

It's easy to call it poor list management after the fact, but it's exactly what most on here are now advocating.

Also, it's not as if shredding s**t senior players has put us in this predicament. We won 1 out of our last 14 games last year with those senior players.

Thats an assumption.

They also never applied for one.

FWIW we are a whole 10% worse off than Adelaide were after Round 6 last year.

So it is different.

Probably because you traded out half your side...why should you benefit when you could have kept Brown at least

We last played finals in 2016, not "a few years" back.

That is more recent than quite a few sides. As I said I’d reluctantly give an end of first round PP but nothing in the first round. The mid season draft is your priority pick

Traded out half our side? Who would they be exactly? Can you count?

We delisted a heap of dead wood. How many of them are running around in the AFL this weekend?

You traded out your number 1 forward and now are screaming you don’t have a forward line...

As I said an end of first round PP is okay but that is it. Not a beginning of the draft PP.

That is more recent than quite a few sides. As I said I’d reluctantly give an end of first round PP but nothing in the first round. The mid season draft is your priority pick

Oh yes, the midseason draft PP that every side have access too. Again, rich coming from a supporter of side who has arguably received the most draft concessions in history via their academy.

You traded out your number 1 forward and now are screaming you don’t have a forward line...

As I said an end of first round PP is okay but that is it. Not a beginning of the draft PP.

The same people were saying we should move on some experienced players to better our draft hand in December......

Lets be honest, the only reason those are opposed to it in here is because it will weaken their draft hand at the end of the year. It's purely self interest.

I get it, because I've been in the same position with most of your clubs when they received their handouts.....

Traded out half our side? Who would they be exactly? Can you count?

We delisted a heap of dead wood. How many of them are running around in the AFL this weekend?
Who drafted all that dead wood in the first place? Did someone force you to draft them? Did someone else force you to delist/trade them all at once?

You made your bed, now lie in it.

Who drafted all that dead wood in the first place? Did someone force you to draft them? Did someone else force you to delist/trade them all at once?

You made your bed, now lie in it.

I'd agree with you normally, however other clubs have received a PP in the same position, even under the new system.

There is a mechanism there to help clubs in this position.

So the "made your bed, now lie in it" line of argument is fairly redundant. Especially when you consider there is a current PP live in the 2021 draft order.

I'd agree with you normally, however other clubs have received a PP in the same position, even under the new system.

There is a mechanism there to help clubs in this position.

So the "made your bed, now lie in it" line of argument is fairly redundant.
How many of those clubs delisted/traded, what was it 11 players, at once?

It's not redundant at all. You've pretty much guaranteed a bottom 3 finish which might have been avoided otherwise.

How many of those clubs delisted/traded, what was it 11 players, at once?

It's not redundant at all. You've pretty much guaranteed a bottom 3 finish which might have been avoided otherwise.

How many of them had major list rule changes to contend with?

Delistings/Trade Outs in 2020:

Adelaide = 11
Carlton = 11
Collingwood = 13
Essendon = 12
Fremantle = 9
Geelong = 9
Gold Coast = 11
GWS = 9
Hawthorn = 11
Melbourne = 8
North = 14
Port = 9
Richmond = 6
St Kilda = 11
Sydney = 9
WCE = 8
WB = 9

So 17th placed rebuilding side delisted 3 more players than some finals sides. Stop the presses. Certainly changes the "gutted their entire list" narrative.

According to you, 8 other sides also "pretty much guaranteed a bottom 3 finish".

Also, lol at "may have been avoided otherwise". We won 1 out of our last 14 with those 14 players last year.

As others have said though, a Priority Pick is hardly going to help North much in the short to medium, they will still be bottom 4 material for at least the next 4 years (if they keep Noble on as coach at least)

We we talking about comparisons dying Fitzroy here with how bad North's list is and their on going future as a viable club.

I’m not opposed to them getting the same compo as Carlton recently got. Access to 1-2 of the state league players before the draft. They can trade or keep these players. Will improve their position without significantly compromising the draft.

Oh yes, the midseason draft PP that every side have access too. Again, rich coming from a supporter of side who has arguably received the most draft concessions in history via their academy.

The mid season draft you'll get access to a top talent as half the draft was compromised last season as we hadn't seen them

I’m not opposed to them getting the same compo as Carlton recently got. Access to 1-2 of the state league players before the draft. They can trade or keep these players. Will improve their position without significantly compromising the draft.

That concession was given to Carlton when the mid season draft wasn't in place.

The mid season draft makes that option useless, as the best 15 or so mature age players will have already been pulled out of the draft pool.

As others have said though, a Priority Pick is hardly going to help North much in the short to medium, they will still be bottom 4 material for at least the next 4 years (if they keep Noble on as coach at least)

We we talking about comparisons dying Fitzroy here with how bad North's list is and their on going future as a viable club.

It of course would help a hell of a lot in the short to medium term.

Just as it has done for GC.

It of course would help a hell of a lot in the short to medium term.

Just as it has done for GC.

You certainly won't get pick 2 If you get one, if that is what you are inkling atm.

Not saying you don't deserve it but the AFL will not give such a juicy pick to you under your circumstances.

End of first round selection is probably the best you can hope for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back