North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
North played their best game of the year and they just wanted it more.
...'best game of the year' makes it sound like one out of the box. The season is still young and the order hasn't sorted itself out yet. We lost badly, regrouped and focused on contested ball last week, and added more outside play this week on top. Regrouping and building more I think (hope).

Well done North. Better match day tactics & wanted the ball more. Felt like a 40+ point loss, not sure how it was only 7pts
As per Forzaport, yeah, I think we did want this more and the way the game was played was pretty predictable I think. We were banking on winning in close, and hoping to restrict you with a better defensive commitment (structurally and tactically) than we've previously done. You were going to play better on the outside, as we haven't yet rediscovered this form.

We had a lot of players hobbling, it was a brutal game. We'll come back next week.
Similar to the Roos v Dogs last week, and McCartney had them bounce back after a brutal encounter. Hinkley's in the same vein and will use this to help you guys refocus on (even) more aggression at the contest.

We were inept. Yes that may correlate to North's pressure, but half the time it felt like we were getting ourselves in those pressure spots with poor kicking, poor handballing, and poor decision making. That loss is on us, not because of a better opponent.

Just dumb entry into our f50

...'best game of the year' makes it sound like one out of the box. The season is still young and the order hasn't sorted itself out yet. We lost badly, regrouped and focused on contested ball last week, and added more outside play this week on top. Regrouping and building more I think (hope).

As per Forzaport, yeah, I think we did want this more and the way the game was played was pretty predictable I think. We were banking on winning in close, and hoping to restrict you with a better defensive commitment (structurally and tactically) than we've previously done. You were going to play better on the outside, as we haven't yet rediscovered this form.

Similar to the Roos v Dogs last week, and McCartney had them bounce back after a brutal encounter. Hinkley's in the same vein and will use this to help you guys refocus on (even) more aggression at the contest.
It was the kind of game we needed.

Yes, too cocky this week. But that showdown win was impressive, and the occasion let us get off the chain a bit as supporters. Back to earth now, hoping for a win against the lions.

Planning to beat us has become their grand final in their futile and pathetic search for post-Wayne Carey AFL relevance.
Your board and all, but that's ordinary. I think the record weighs more heavily on your guys minds than it does ours. Ask Richmond, apparently it's our GF when we play them. ;):p:rolleyes:

I'll give you that, it feels as though he has been haunting us since 97, you better put a bronze statue of him outside Arden st.

Don't say that, even a statue of Brent Harvey would probably kick 5 against us.

Yes, too cocky this week. But that showdown win was impressive, and the occasion let us get off the chain a bit as supporters. Back to earth now, hoping for a win against the lions.
Yea the Lions game comes at a good time, percentage booster ;)

Everyone on this board was as cocky as **** this week!

Guess what? We'll be as cocky as * this week too. Pressure builds diamonds, and until this team learns to cope with expectation in a consistent manner and play solid football without the lairising, we'll keep putting the pressure on. Otherwise we'll end up like the club in the title - great when no one rates us, but when expectation comes fold quicker than a house of cards.

I really hope i don't hear talk on here all week that the game next Saturdays game is already a win and will be a good % boost. Respect your opposition and don't get ahead of yourself.

Your board and all, but that's ordinary. I think the record weighs more heavily on your guys minds than it does ours. Ask Richmond, apparently it's our GF when we play them. ;):p:rolleyes:
It's an unusual stat but when we finished top between 2002 and 2004 you beat us 3 out of 4 times yet you finished out the 8 twice and that once in the 8 was 7th, aaand you beat us by 92 pts in our premiership year, it was different teams so all I can attribute it to is Harvey (just strange that's all) does that mean you always underachieve?

It was the loss we had to have. Needed to get back down to earth after the showdown, and the media relentlessly pumping up our tires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Ordinary" is your supporters cheering Monfries injury. Appreciate your earlier post. Enjoy the win.

Cunnington was an absolute beast, you guys probably had 4 of the best 5 players on the ground today and deserved the win - but given we had our coveted first choice midfield against yours minus Ziebell and Swallow it really is a poor result for us that smells of a side vying for a finals berth and nothing more.
Actually when you put it like that, it was an ordinary performance.

It's an unusual stat but when we finished top between 2002 and 2004 you beat us 3 out of 4 times yet you finished out the 8 twice and that once in the 8 was 7th, aaand you beat us by 92 pts in our premiership year, it was different teams so all I can attribute it to is Harvey (just strange that's all) does that mean you always underachieve?
I'm assuming other players did well too, just as they did today. Harvey iced it with that last goal, but without all the grunt of Cunnington (bog for mine) and Greenwood, the consistency and cool head of Scott Thompson etc. it wouldn't have made a difference.

I'm assuming other players did well too, just as they did today. Harvey iced it with that last goal, but without all the grunt of Cunnington (bog for mine) and Greenwood, the consistency and cool head of Scott Thompson etc. it wouldn't have made a difference.
But without those last 2 goals Port would've won a close one...just saying.

That's pretty well it. Niggles on the day

You make your own luck too, and we didn't. They got the clearnaves when it mattered

Live and learn, win next week

This x 2

We need to try close games out when were on top of the opposition. As it has been proven before, we can't sustain a 4 quarter domination and we always seem to leave the window open for the opposition to get back into the game. Top 4 sides don't allow for that unless it's another top 4 side

But without those last 2 goals Port would've won a close one...just saying.
Goals, and goal kickers, at the end of a game always get more attention.

That said, his club selection and execution was superb with the 50m goal. He's a champion.

"Ordinary" is your supporters cheering Monfries injury. Appreciate your earlier post. Enjoy the win.

Yeah I thought I could hear it on TV, but I was thinking, nah, they surely were cheering something else, so never though another second of it. But yes, confirmed by their own supporters on the North board that many were booing his injury. Not good

Goals, and goal kickers, at the end of a game always get more attention.

That said, his club selection and execution was superb with the 50m goal. He's a champion.
That's why Sir Alex Ferguson calls it squeaky bum time after all we were down to Carlton by 1 goal at 3/4 time yet everyone remembers Port won by almost 6 goals. Carey may have been your best ever but Harvey is your most consistant.

I would say the cheer was because Monfries was a good chance to get to the ball first and goal after rolling the dice on the back of the zone more than actually cheering his injury.

Speaking of which, trying to play North's 2013 slingshot style game against them was Port's downfall today. Our 2014 pre season has been about bringing defense to our gameplan and putting pressure on the player kicking into the F50, North were able to fire in long balls all day with little to no pressure on the kicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back