News North to play Essendon or Richmond on Good Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

The beauty of choosing to follow a religion is you then get to make choices related to it, like opting in or out of watching football on Good Friday.

The good lord gave us all this decision to make with his sacrifices.

And the reason we make a big deal out of other “cultures” during the season, is that sections of our society - indigenous Australia - for example, have been oppressed for centuries/decades. We’re on the road to reconciliation, it’s a slow process and requires work, acknowledgement and respect. Celebrating the contributions of indigenous Australians to the game is just one small gesture that we as a society can make to show our respect and acknowledge the role the traditional custodians have played in shaping our great game.

As far as respecting the Christian/catholic faith, we already shape our major holiday seasons around a religion that is not prominent in society any longer. It is also now 2018 and we have realised that for hundreds of years that this religion has oppressed many a different kind of people around the world.

Can we just call it even and keep playing the footy? That way those who give a flying calamari about it can opt out and pay their respects and observe their faith, those that don’t care can continue to exist on earth.

A lot are interested in religion, but given the 2016 census results, it would be fairly safe to say that Christians make up less than 50% of those people in Australia now and they are the only ones who care about Good Friday. We live in a multi-cultural society and also one of the least religious countries in the world (around 12th least in the world), so Good Friday is less and less relevant in today's Australia.

Only a couple of public holidays are based on Catholicism and I'd be more than happy to lose them in place of additional non-denominational public holidays like the bank holidays in the UK, or increased annual leave so those can take time off around their own religion's holy days. At the end of the day, when it comes to Christmas, more people are interested in the fat red bloke who only has very tenuous links back to St Nicholas. Today's version has very little to do with religion and more to do with consumerism.

Jesus wasn’t even born on the 25th of December. Was a made up day to get the pagans on board.

Bit like religion in general tbh. Great stories and lessons and values can be learned from them but there’s no omnipotent being guiding the universe as per his/her whim. Closest thing to that is Neil Balme.

To be fair I am actually in favour of not having footy on Sunday...

But it’s got nothing to do with religion and just to do with the fact that it’s nice to have a day of the week with no distractions that can be spent with family/community and no big corporate distractions

Yeah they should pay respects before the game. They can give a minute silence for all the kids that the Catholic priests sexually abused over the years lol

Ps time difference means we live in the future bro. Friday is Thursday for Israel. Shouldn't eat red meat on the Saturday because really that is when Dusty, I mean God, is watching. :eyes::hearnoevil:

Or they could play footy and we can all charitably give to God's children.

“Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.” or is it “Two hands clasped in prayer can do more than a thousand working.”?? I forget -_-
POTY

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And why else won’t you watch Good Friday football? I think you implied it was out of respect? To what? Christianity? Jesus?

jebus would 100% watch good friday footy if the tigs were playing. don't see the issue if he's fine with it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back