Autopsy North v Freo - Rd 6 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are 0-11 then we sack Nobes.

Then we give Russell a crack for the rest but because we are a smart club we don’t appoint him, having learned from the Shaw drama, but search for another coach.

We know that players excel when they have 5 different head coaches in a 4 year period.

Great tune. I remember seeing them live at The Metro and Tex had to sit on a stool because he had busted a knee falling down the stairs from the business class section of a plane when pissed. Total rock star injury for a guy who is just a rock star.
He used to play Aussie rules in a yearly scratch match over the mountain range from here.

I'm afraid you're still living in the 90s when it comes to football training. We made that mistake a few years ago when we thought training km after km was the best idea. The problem was the game changed and the rest of the league were training High Intensity Interval Training. Repeat sprints. More and more with less recovery.

Different distances. 400m is the best imo because it's 200m of sprinting and the rest is pure gut running. 200m a close second.

It's also why we've moved on from the beep test. Now the yo-yo test.

Olympic speeds is what you want. Don't have that in the modern game and you're chasing tail metres behind.

Cousins was excellent at it. It's how he broke tough tags. I remember them highlighting it when Cross (bulldogs) lined up on him. Cross was a running machine but slow. Cousins a gut runner that was quicker. He'd take Cross to one end of the ground and take off on a sprint. Cross couldn't keep up.
I was thinking along the lines of 3 sets of 5x400m in about under a minute, with a recovery lap in between. As pre season training.

Its actually a 12 km workout.

So many people on here are so impatient. Having been there during the 1970’s I know how to celebrate our young guys striving for improvement.
My mindset is to expect a ten goal loss. Anything below that is a ‘win’.

Yesterday we never conceded more than 4 goals a quarter and that was without half of our first picked defenders playing. Impressed by McKay, Atu and Bonar. Young improved. Ziebell is becoming a more intelligent defender.
Concerned by LDU’s lack of input. Jy seems to be busting a gut to be involved to the point where I saw him become the third North player up for a spoil. Needs to stay on the ground. Anyone who knocks Goldstein is a goose. A better game by Tom Campbell but not a long term option.
Improved effort by Larkey in chasing. Zurhaar improved this week but I wish he had Tom Powell’s footy smarts. Cunners lack of pace is being found out in the middle but I like him lurking around the forward line.

You can’t build a house without a solid foundation.
Don’t expect huge leaps forward this year.

He's a big guy. Would have been a full forward I suspect.
He never played in any I did but he played KPs and rucked apparently. In the old days I saw the Beasts a few times at gigs where the stage and mosh pit would occupy the same area and he's tall enough.

This following a true story.

When I first started posting here in 2006 & up until 2013, this board was undoubtedly populated with the smartest footy analysts posting on any club board on this website. It was also an engine room for the Roosistence. Then I had a little hiatus and returned in 2017 to find this place had devolved in to a kindergarten toilet. Now it's well & truly amongst the worst boards on the entire website. You can actually get better football content on the Sydney Swans board now. I honestly believe there's a solid core of about a dozen bored opposition club posters who continually post spam on the board, just because they get kicks out of that sort of thing, and more importantly, because they can get away with it now. This board would not be capable of engineering the Roosistence in 2021. There's just too many blinkered idiots now.

I suspect that if this continues on it's current path, then football discussion around here will resemble something like this by 2030:

View attachment 1110988

Here here.
I used to be an avid contributor back pre-Roosistence days. Once the off-field stuff became settled I exited stage left.

I have recently popped my head in due to the unprecedented rebuild strategy the club has undertaken and to keep an eye on the young fellas.
Some of the stuff written on here targeting young kids stinks. Honestly it says so much about writers, wanting to predict the next ‘flop’ as some kind of inherent skill, it’s embarrassing.
Reckon I’m not long for this place again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here here.
I used to be an avid contributor back pre-Roosistence days. Once the off-field stuff became settled I exited stage left.

I have recently popped my head in due to the unprecedented rebuild strategy the club has undertaken and to keep an eye on the young fellas.
Some of the stuff written on here targeting young kids stinks. Honestly it says so much about writers, wanting to predict the next ‘flop’ as some kind of inherent skill, it’s embarrassing.
Reckon I’m not long for this place again

They will kill me off soon enough and I'll be joining you in the pasture mate.

So you don’t know who’s fault it is, but you want Noble sacked? Righto...
I said it wasn’t my fault so you figure it out . Both parties are to blame .

Hate talking about the umpires but holy ******* sh*t they were awful. There were at least 6-7 calls that were supposed to be paid to us but didn’t. Even the commentators were shocked

Wtf is going on, it’s almost like the umpires don’t like bottom 4 teams hahaha

Umpire with number 1 on his back always murders us.
Who banged his sister

We’d be hopeful of Band 2 or 3, which is end of first round or after our second pick.

Pick 19 or 21 essentially (if we finish 18th).

I’d prefer he stayed but that wouldn’t be horrendous in compo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Perspective and great hope from last night’s team:

Powell - 6 games
Bonar - 17
Taylor - 14

Menadue - 41
Thomas - 32
Bosenavulagi - 5
McKay - 21
Mahoney - 16
Davies-Uniacke - 35
Young - 14
Larkey - 35
Zurhaar - 49
Phillips - 4

The one's I've bolded have shown promising flashes in precious little game-time to the point I'd be legitimately surprised if they didn't turn into genuine AFL players.

The unbolded could still go either way.

I didn't know where else to put my reflections on our start to this year so I thought I'd put them in here.

I think the reason for our performances come down to 3 main things
- Inexperienced teams fielded due to the rebuild.
- Average senior players
- Learning a new system/game plan
- Injuries to key experienced players

Inexperienced youngsters (<21yo or 22yo who haven't played due to injury): Guys like Bonar, Atu, LDU, Phillips, Powell, Young, Stephenson, Thomas, Mahony, Taylor, Lazzaro, Scott all fall into this category. The difficulty of adjusting to AFL level is only magnified when you're surrounded by players who are below par or nursing injuries. They would have it a lot easier if the guys in the 'Injuries to key experienced players' were fit and playing alongside them to guide them.

Average senior players: I hate criticising our players but in my view Atley, Turner, Tyson and Campbell are not AFL standard and should not get a game at AFL level barring a significant amount of injuries forcing our hand to play them (which is where we find ourselves).

Learning a new system/game plan: Pretty straight forward. Changing the way we play takes a lot of work and you won't see the fruit of this until probably the back end of this year.

Injuries to key experienced players: Polec, Anderson, Cunnington, LDU, McDonald, Dumont, Tarrant, Corr and Garner have all missed games or have been impacted by injuries which has led to their fitness being below where it needs to be. Look at those names - they're bloody good players. Cunnington is one of the best inside midfielders in the competition. Tarrant is an AA level key position defender. McDonald was our Syd Barker medallist last year. Corr was exceptional in the games he played and brings much needed solidity to our defense. Anderson leads from the front with his aggression at the man in the midfield and sets the tone from that point of view. Dumont has had numerous top 5 finishes in the Syd Barker medal and I rate him highly for what he brings to our side.

I think the above paints the picture of a club that has decided to begin a rebuild during a period of time where the club's list has been grossly mismanaged in the past and cruelled by injuries in recent times.

I think we're going to be fine moving forward.

Last edited:
He overseas it all though... That's why these positions pay so much, they're in charge of everything.

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app
They’re in the position that they’re in because the oversee everything. not in charge of.

Unless they’re micro managing, which would be a nightmare, for such a large organisation.. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if we saw someone like Blakey taking responsibility in that area. I’m sure he’ll have a wealth of knowledge, and by no means should his job be in question.
That’s why you’ll have Nobel sitting in front of the media taking the hit for him so he can get his work done..

I didn't know where else to put my reflections on our start to this year so I thought I'd put them in here.

I think the reason for our performances come down to 3 main things
- Inexperienced teams fielded due to the rebuild.
- Average senior players
- Learning a new system/game plan
- Injuries to key experienced players

Inexperienced youngsters (<21yo or 22yo who haven't played due to injury): Guys like Bonar, Atu, LDU, Phillips, Powell, Young, Stephenson, Thomas, Mahony, Taylor, Lazzaro, Scott all fall into this category. The difficulty of adjusting to AFL level is only magnified when you're surrounded by players who are below par or nursing injuries. They would have it a lot easier if the guys in the 'Injuries to key experienced players' were fit and playing alongside them to guide them.

Average senior players: I hate criticising our players but in my view Atley, Turner, Tyson and Campbell are not AFL standard and should not get a game at AFL level barring a significant amount of injuries forcing our hand to play them (which is where we find ourselves).

Learning a new system/game plan: Pretty straight forward. Changing the way we play takes a lot of work and you won't see the fruit of this until probably the back end of this year.

Injuries to key experienced players: Polec, Anderson, Cunnington, LDU, McDonald, Dumont, Tarrant, Corr and Garner have all missed games or have been impacted by injuries which has led to their fitness being below where it needs to be. Look at those names - they're bloody good players. Cunnington is one of the best inside midfielders in the competition. Tarrant is an AA level key position defender. McDonald was our Syd Barker medallist last year. Corr was exceptional in the games he played and brings much needed solidity to our defense. Anderson leads from the front with his aggression at the man in the midfield and sets the tone from that point of view. Dumont has had numerous top 5 finishes in the Syd Barker medal and I rate him highly for what he brings to our side.

I think the above paints the picture of a club that has decided to begin a rebuild during a period of time where the club's list has been grossly mismanaged in the past and cruelled by injuries in recent times.

I think we're going to be fine moving forward.

Going forward and nailing our next lot of draft picks mid-season and end of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back