Autopsy North v Hawthorn post match thread. - Rd 3, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

The 6-6-6 thing is beyond mind-boggling.

Brad changes rule.
Rule doesn't work for Brad.
Brad calls out rule changes for being bad.
Bad Brad.

To his defence, he said the rule would be better for the game, not necessarily for us. You could ask if he puts the club, who pays him, ahead of his caretaker of the game role, which is an unpaid one. Perhaps he should fight harder for advantages for the club while he is an employee of the club? Not sure if coaches have signed some greater overriding oath or not. Other clubs seem ready to exploit everything to the fullest of their ability.

Maybe we just don't have that killer instinct as a club any longer, who knows.

shinboner spiggs

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Jazz, West Indies
To his defence, he said the rule would be better for the game, not necessarily for us. You could ask if he puts the club, who pays him, ahead of his caretaker of the game role, which is an unpaid one. Perhaps he should fight harder for advantages for the club while he is an employee of the club? Not sure if coaches have signed some greater overriding oath or not. Other clubs seem ready to exploit everything to the fullest of their ability.

Maybe we just don't have that killer instinct as a club any longer, who knows.
Scott has said over a million times “coaches are the custodians of the game.” He does seem to have some sort of agenda about the greater good of footy, he is more vocal than most about irrelevant situations to us.

I think the only under performers in our team right now are Tarrant(underdone), Simpkin and Goldstein(only ruck at the club). The rest are performing to the best of their ability in the role they've been given. There are maybe 2/3 feasible changes that make us better personnel wise right now.

The form is ok, the players are trying. It's a sad state of affairs at arden street.

Perhaps i should include a very low ceiling there as part of form. Someone who is playing to the best of their ability is not that great if their best is shithouse.

Scott has said over a million times “coaches are the custodians of the game.” He does seem to have some sort of agenda about the greater good of footy, he is more vocal than most about irrelevant situations to us.

Perhaps that agenda could be a paid job at the AFL once the club/football world realise he isn't a very good senior coach.

dimo

Senior List
Jun 28, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Throw away the cheque book, go to the draft rebuild right this cant go on. I thought it was going to be the backline thats kills us but its the forward line. no Options up front. when given the chance in a crucial moment Jack Z misses twice. I dont know but we are in serious trouble, coming in I didnt give us hope but after that 1st quarter and another winnable game goes south. im Officially on Board #SCOTTOUT
It’s taken you awhile. Glad to have you on board!

dus

Premiership Player
May 14, 2002
Poker Table
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I didn’t even clap after we got 4 goals up.

I knew what was eventually coming.

Tom Campbell is the biggest s**t truck in the game. Fancy not giving Preuss a go for 2 years.

Put a fork in Taz, Jmac, Tyson, Turner, JZ and Goldy. They’re all cooked.

Once we’re 0-10 Brad should do the honourable thing and step down.

Cunners is probably the best player we’ve had in the last 10-15 years IMO.

Sorry guys. We were rather concerned at quarter time

Read through the first 7 pages of the thread to see what you think and nearly every post is about Scott, Clarkson or both

Our Coaching group:
Alastair Clarkson
Sam Mitchell
Darren Glass
Scott Burns
Chris Newman
Adam Yze
Damien Monkhurst

I had to go to the North website to see who your assistants were:
Brad Scott
Gavin Brown
Darren Crocker
Rhyce Shaw
Jarred Moore
Leigh Tudor

If the problem is coaching is it really Brad Scott? Or is it the support staff / systems etc

Some clubs have tried the keep the coach / clean out the assistants option

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Read through the first 7 pages of the thread to see what you think and nearly every post is about Scott, Clarkson or both

Our Coaching group:
Alastair Clarkson
Sam Mitchell
Darren Glass
Scott Burns
Chris Newman
Adam Yze
Damien Monkhurst

Brad Scott
Gavin Brown
Darren Crocker
Rhyce Shaw
Jarred Moore
Leigh Tudor

If the problem is coaching is it really Brad Scott? Or is it the support staff / systems etc

Could you do us a favour, pull that info for the last 10 years for both clubs please.

Could you do us a favour, pull that info for the last 10 years for both clubs please.

Sorry no idea on your previous assistant coaches

But ours have been good - pretty much half the AFL are currently being run by Clarksons minions (including the last 3 premiership sides)

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sorry no idea on your previous assistant coaches

But ours have been good - pretty much half the AFL are currently being run by Clarksons minions (including the last 3 premiership sides)

Yeah i was referring to the fact that we have turned over a few assistants in that time...

Well that makes sense right, hence why i'd be keen on getting someone like Mitchell from your team. Currently 3 senior coaches played for us, all have coached a premiership, Clarko being one of them. coming from a winning culture must mean something right?
Although im not sure what our coach is doing considering he played for arguably the best team ever assembled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

xHVB03R.png

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I‘m not a Brad basher but geez he’s so far behind with this 6-6-6 rule.

If we had this list last year I think we’d be in the 8 right now but our inability to adapt or benefit from it like other clubs has simply killed us.

Couple that with some underperforming players... it’s going to be long year

I’ll admit I had a few beers watching the game but one thing stood out (unless I was seeing double), Hawthorn run harder and in numbers. When they cleared the ball all I could see North players all on the outside and the hawks running the ball away. Not once but multiple. Stinks of fitness and gameplay.
Ben brown has lost the ability to take a contested mark, something not right there,
Centre clearances after quarter time the same as other weeks, opposition run it out as the north players are all on the forward side.
Players out marked,out positioned, skills - don’t get me started on missed kicks and handballs.
Kicking under pressure directly back into the middle of the ground instead of kicking wide.
Then we find out Clarkson worked out what we were doing and made the necessary adjustments, what did Scott do to counter this?
Why didn’t we utilise our height in the forward line,

Is it as simple as the players haven’t clicked ? I’m not buying it

sbdan

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2005
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rooboys
First Quarter:
Short kicks in the back half until we found an opening.
And when the opening was found, we went fast and direct.
VERY good football.

Rest of the game:
Clarkson made sure to put the pressure on the backs and not let us chip it around as freely. Because of this we either.
A. Went longer down the line.
B. Tried to break the zone with handball.
C. Tried riskier kicks through the middle.

I dislike BS as a coach and I don't think he is the one who can lead us to the promised land.
But to say he doesnt have a plan B is just plain wrong.
The team tried different things. They didnt come off, but there were definitely changes in the way we moved the ball.
True, but the roos do not have the skills or the nerve to pull off the handballing in defence. It hasn't worked all year.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Our Coaching group:
Alastair Clarkson
Sam Mitchell
Darren Glass
Scott Burns
Chris Newman
Adam Yze
Damien Monkhurst

Brad Scott
Gavin Brown
Darren Crocker
Rhyce Shaw
Jarred Moore
Leigh Tudor

Rhyce Shaw won the AFLCA assistant of the year at Sydney last year and Tudor has obviously been lauded for quite a number of years.

I don't think the quality in difference is that much.

It's the direction from the top.

The chip/chip over possess game plan is absolute ******* garbage, with a team traditionally high with turnovers.

Last edited:

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
JMAC intercepted alright yesterday, but his turnovers are ******* killing us.

Another 6 yesterday, clear #1 in turnovers this year competition wide.

Our forward line is so laughably s**t, as has been said, we had Pruess sitting there for 2 years and Brad flat out refused to play a second ruckman, even as a forward. Now he trades him he decides to go all in on this strategy?

I don't mind Campbell, he's an honest trier, probably in the Daniel Currie mould, but for god sake, we pick up a ruckman from the scrap heap from a side with barely any ruck stocks and decide he's going to replace Waite when we had a 20 year old who led the VFL goal kicking last year? I mean?!?

If we are going to develop, give Larkey 10+ games to learn what it takes to beat an AFL opponent.

Get Campbell back to the reserves (Where we have no ruckman!) which will asisst in the development of the younger midfielders playing with correct structure.

I am astonished at our lack of fitness. It was clear as each of our three matches has been played out the opposition teams have run all over us. Forget coaching strategies, who is responsible for fitness at our club? Is it time to go back to Utah? Or better still send them all to Puckapunyal for the pre season!!!

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If they are willing to have Garns (no dig at him) on the list for 6 years, then taking Scully for nothing is a no brainer to me.
The cost of Garner vs. the cost of Scully is very different. Garner also had a season where he looked to be over his injuries. We need his type. We don't need Scully. Maybe before Polec, Hall, and Scott but it'd be pure luxury. We have far more pressing matters.

The fact is, it's a similar situation to Hannebery. St Kilda took the risk and it has back fired. No one else wanted to take it. Hawthorn took the risk with Scully and after two games it looks alright (he filled a need there). It's easy to pot the club thanks to how it played out but it was the smart thing to do. If it didn't pay off 99% of posters in here would be throwing club officials under the bus and saying "don't we have enough injury prone players!"

This is exactly like your comments around a CHB and ruck for the VFL team. Short-sighted and not weighing up all the variables.

Royal Flush

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I am astonished at our lack of fitness. It was clear as each of our three matches has been played out the opposition teams have run all over us. Forget coaching strategies, who is responsible for fitness at our club? Is it time to go back to Utah? Or better still send them all to Puckapunyal for the pre season!!!
When your chasing the ball for the greater part of three quarters, your always going to run out of puff.
The Hawks in particular do well what we did in Q1.
That's how games are decided.
Teams who's game plan is decided on contested footy alone, generally less drilled teams are always exposed against teams that don't cough it up

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Tiberius

Generational Talent
Sep 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah...nah. What's the point? Sh%tful.
Hawthorn were decimated by injury and didn't play very well. And we didn't look competitive after quarter time. When the game is up for grabs we get worse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back