Analysis Now, what is the pass mark for this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

At this stage of the season and how it has opened up for us we should make top two.

That means two home finals, one of which should be a home prelim.

So unfortunately a grand final appearance is now the minimum that is acceptable.

If we don't make the gf from the position we are in right now it will because we have stuffed it up, this is a remarkable season with the top tesms so even, home ground advantage is massive.

Pass mark is top 4. Seriously was not expecting a top 8 berth this year.

A Distinction is making a prelim. Don't care what anyone says, they are bloody hard to get into.

A high distinction is a grand final.

After the last 12 months, I am already saying all things considered we all should be bloody proud of the boys!!!
Way I see it, to finish top 4, you have to make a Prelim. If you finish top 4 in the regular season and lose 2 straight finals (at least 1 at home), you haven't achieved a pass mark.

Pass mark: a close loss in an away prelim

I think another poster mentioned that pass marks that don't involve winning flags are for s**t clubs though. I agree. I just think with the benefit of hindsight, we would look back on 2016 pretty fondly if we made a prelim. Before the season started, especially considering the draw, I thought we'd be flat out making the 8.

It's about time our club exceeded a pass mark and wound up with a high distinction.

Way I see it, to finish top 4, you have to make a Prelim. If you finish top 4 in the regular season and lose 2 straight finals (at least 1 at home), you haven't achieved a pass mark.
It would be good....and maybe you should. Seriously how hard and even is this top 8? If we finish in the top 4 and go out in straight sets....I would be bitterly disappointed but still think it is a pass. There are 18 teams so you need to finish above 14 others. I don't imagine there would be many who expected our current success. We have beat expectations.....and people are still not happy....

It would be good....and maybe you should. Seriously how hard and even is this top 8? If we finish in the top 4 and go out in straight sets....I would be bitterly disappointed but still think it is a pass. There are 18 teams so you need to finish above 14 others. I don't imagine there would be many who expected our current success. We have beat expectations.....and people are still not happy....
Problem is, you technically don't actually finish top 4, if you don't make the Prelim. You finish 5th or 6th.

After minor round:

1st or 2nd - A+

3rd or 4th - Great result

5th or 6th - A bit frustrating

7th or 8th - Disaster

Miss finals - Close down club

If we get 5th, we need to play 2 finals. We are guaranteed 2 with top 4. And in either scenario we must win a final. The frustration of finishing 5th would be mitigated by finals wins.

At the beginning of the season I had making the 8 as a pass and finishing 6th would have been great, the highest I realistically thought we would achieve.

Now it is time to review and re-assess.

I guess we can mark down the season as a "pass". But a re-evaluation of goals based on the performance so far is warranted.

What is your new "pass" mark?

For me, finishing 8th would be a C- and disappointing. Finishing top 4 seems realistic.

A prelim loss is a pass mark from this point of the season, where we sit on ladder and remaining games of which we should win most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this moment it would be winning 7 out of our last 8 games and making the top 4.

If we can manage that then it would be making a prelim (at a minimum)
That was pretty much my thinking too. Anything but top 4 and then a prelim would be a disappointment from here.

Im sick of reading people would be content or think its a pass mark with a prelim final loss. * that. I personally have had enough of those in the last 15 years. Sick of this mediocre bullshit. Its time to get to the big dance and destroy whoever is in our way. Our time is now.

Im sick of reading people would be content or think its a pass mark with a prelim final loss. **** that. I personally have had enough of those in the last 15 years. Sick of this mediocre bullshit. Its time to get to the big dance and destroy whoever is in our way. Our time is now.
Exactly - pass mark for me is a GF appearance.

Had a gutful of losing prelims

Exactly - pass mark for me is a GF appearance.

Had a gutful of losing prelims

Trust me we are all sick of losing prelims, but our squad is not quite yet at a level to win a flag.

Yeah it is possible to pull a 2008 Hawthorn and win a flag in a massive boilover, but to set that as a pass mark is unrealistic.

Hypomathematically if we were to make the GF could you imagine the boilover from those who miss out on tickets.

I think there will be a lot of unhappy fans!

Hypomathematically if we were to make the GF could you imagine the boilover from those who miss out on tickets.

I think there will be a lot of unhappy fans!
Id be happy to face that problem if it meant us winning a flag. I already have free accommodation in melb if we were to make it.. that's the easy part. im not a gold member.. I am only a silver member. id probably miss out.

After minor round:

1st or 2nd - A+

3rd or 4th - Great result

5th or 6th - A bit frustrating

7th or 8th - Disaster

Miss finals - Close down club

After the finals: 3rd or 4th would be frustrating. 2nd would be heartbreaking.. all that hard work to get there for nothing only to have 10,000 memes made about us by port scum.

Id be happy to face that problem if it meant us winning a flag. I already have free accommodation in melb if we were to make it.. that's the easy part. im not a gold member.. I am only a silver member. id probably miss out.

Us VIC GA's are no chance! I'm not missing the GF if we make it even if the wallet/wife says what the hell are you doing!!

For me, a pass mark is that place between disappointed and pleased. For some of you, it seems to lie between devastated and all-your-dreams-come-true. :) Naturally, if we lose a prelim, 'disappointed' won't even come close to describing the post-match feeling but, in the context of the whole year, I would be pleased to make a prelim.

If we were following on this year with Walsh coaching (and he had taken us to where we finished last year) then my pass mark would be to go one better, ie make the prelim. Given the circumstances, with a new coach and the departure of our best player, at the start of the year I would have said making it to the second week of the finals was a pass. At this point, my hopes have certainly gone up a couple of notches where I reckon we can legitimately dream of snagging a premiership. But as a benchmark for the entire year, making the prelim would represent an improvement on last year and real hope for 2017.

If some of you want to label that 'celebrating mediocrity', remember a pass is a 'C'. On my marking, winning the prelim is a 'B', winning the flag is an 'A'.

Trust me we are all sick of losing prelims, but our squad is not quite yet at a level to win a flag.

Yeah it is possible to pull a 2008 Hawthorn and win a flag in a massive boilover, but to set that as a pass mark is unrealistic.
I said a GF appearance, not a flag.

Another losing prelim final is a deadset failure, no ifs no buts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back