Analysis Now, what is the pass mark for this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
At the beginning of the season I had making the 8 as a pass and finishing 6th would have been great, the highest I realistically thought we would achieve.

Now it is time to review and re-assess.

I guess we can mark down the season as a "pass". But a re-evaluation of goals based on the performance so far is warranted.

What is your new "pass" mark?

For me, finishing 8th would be a C- and disappointing. Finishing top 4 seems realistic.

From right now? Anything less than Top 4 isn't acceptable. If we're truly building an elite culture then we win every remaining game bar possibly Geelong (hard road trip, it just is). The rest of our games we will start hot favorites and the elite teams win them.

If we lose 2 or 3 and snag 6th or 7th it doesn't cut it at this stage.

Will we do it? Who knows. But the time is now.

Premiership. We are in a position to win it and when you get the opportunity you have to nail it.

Do Freo get pass marks for their top 4 finishes or is the lingering memory the fact they never won a flag? How about Saint Kilda?

Pass marks that don't have you winning are for losers.

Last edited:

Premiership. We are in a position to win it and when you get the opportunity you have to nail it.

Does Freo get pass marks for their top 4 finishes or is the lingering memory the fact they never won a flag? How about Saint Kilda?

Yep our time is now. Gws are only going to get better in the next few years, still raw and havent played finals yet. Hawthorn are still the benchmark but this year are more vulnerable and havent got the firepower up front like they had in previous years. Geelong is too reliant on one player and lose to s**t teams. Sydney are always around the mark, come finals will be up there but weve beaten them this year. Dogs have injuries like north and wc dont win away. This is the year.

I had us in that big bunch finishing 6-12th. 6th was the best I expected.

But now

Top 4 is the new target. I would hope the club is also putting pressure on the players to achieve. If we started out thinking this was a development year then this pressure is part of the development. Aim for top 4 , talk about Top 4.

Does Freo get pass marks for their top 4 finishes or is the lingering memory the fact they never won a flag? How about Saint Kilda?

Pfft.
Way to set up unrealistic expectations. Setting challenging but realistic and achievable goals gone out the window? "Premiership or failure" is a great way to become a bitter twisted old fan. It also underestimates the opposition.

Given where we started the season, a young list everyone would have called you crazy, out of your mind and blind if you said anything short of a Premiership is a fail.

I think we have the talent and game plan to win it. I just don't think we are match hardened enough yet against top sides to be consistent enough through finals. We must play 2 finals. Yes we can beat all teams on the day, but there are some hellishly good teams above us on the ladder.

With respect to Freo, their list was/is OLD. They were in premierships building mode for years. Exactly the same with St Kilda. They got to the big dance then fell off a cliff.

Contrast that with our current "best 22", we are relatively young. We have not been building into premiership contention over the years. However, given what we have shown this year, we need to sustain top 4 performances over the next 5 to 6 years and get to the GF more than once.

flag_template_colour.gif

Pfft.
Way to set up unrealistic expectations. Setting challenging but realistic and achievable goals gone out the window? "Premiership or failure" is a great way to become a bitter twisted old fan. It also underestimates the opposition.

Given where we started the season, a young list everyone would have called you crazy, out of your mind and blind if you said anything short of a Premiership is a fail.

I think we have the talent and game plan to win it. I just don't think we are match hardened enough yet against top sides to be consistent enough through finals. We must play 2 finals. Yes we can beat all teams on the day, but there are some hellishly good teams above us on the ladder.

With respect to Freo, their list was/is OLD. They were in premierships building mode for years. Exactly the same with St Kilda. They got to the big dance then fell off a cliff.

Contrast that with our current "best 22", we are relatively young. We have not been building into premiership contention over the years. However, given what we have shown this year, we need to sustain top 4 performances over the next 5 to 6 years and get to the GF more than once.
If we win this week we are in the top 4.

A top 4 side which accepts making the top 4 and not winning it is underachieving. Yes that's tough but you need to be tough to win.

Next year we might cop injuries and fall back and we've lost a chance.

We have the best forward line in the competition and have enough experience in the side that we can't use that as an excuse. Sydney have lots of inexperienced players playing this year. GWS are the ultimate inexperienced team. Western Bulldogs equally inexperienced as us.

Hawks and Geelong clearly are the most experienced. Geelong have mental issues so really the only team losing to wouldn't be a crime is the Hawks.

If we win this week we are in the top 4.

A top 4 side which accepts making the top 4 and not winning it is underachieving. Yes that's tough but you need to be tough to win.

Next year we might cop injuries and fall back and we've lost a chance.

We have the best forward line in the competition and have enough experience in the side that we can't use that as an excuse. Sydney have lots of inexperienced players playing this year. GWS are the ultimate inexperienced team. Western Bulldogs equally inexperienced as us.

Hawks and Geelong clearly are the most experienced. Geelong have mental issues so really the only team losing to wouldn't be a crime is the Hawks.

In general, I probably wouldn't agree with this. It's quite common that the team that finishes 4th, for example, is significantly weaker than the top two or even three teams, and even making a GF would be a big achievement.

This season, though, it looks like almost anyone in the top 8 could finish top 4 and there is no standout #1 team. Any top 4 side seems to be able to beat any other top 4 side on their day. In that environment there is no reason to think that we couldn't win the whole thing even from 4th spot.

Winning the whole thing takes some luck as well as being good enough, but I'd like to see us win a prelim for a change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't matter where you think you're at, any year you don't win the flag is a failure.

At the beginning of the season I had making the 8 as a pass and finishing 6th would have been great, the highest I realistically thought we would achieve.

Now it is time to review and re-assess.

I guess we can mark down the season as a "pass". But a re-evaluation of goals based on the performance so far is warranted.

What is your new "pass" mark?

For me, finishing 8th would be a C- and disappointing. Finishing top 4 seems realistic.

Prelim appearance a pass.
Gf appearance. Stunning.

My expectations , like a lot of people, have changed as the season has progressed. Before the start I would have been very satisfied with a top six finish. Now I think we have the opportunity to finish top four. If that happens I would say winning a final and making the prelim would be a pass. Anything more would be fantastic and much more than I would have expected before the start of the season.

What a .... Can't help but dislike this comment from this p... Ricky Henderson better now play out of his skin for the rest of the season and snag us a flag.

By the way, danger is now officially a flog.
He's obviously going to say he prefers them not to because he's playing for Geelong who themselves are a chance of a flag.

image.png

Doesn't really make sense Patrick. Proud for what reason? Guess he's still good mates with quite a few.

What a .... Can't help but dislike this comment from this p... Ricky Henderson better now play out of his skin for the rest of the season and snag us a flag.

By the way, danger is now officially a flog.
What has he said that has offended you? He obviously would prefer his new team to be the premiers but if that was not to be, he would be proud of his mates back in Adelaide if they won it. I have no issues with what he's said.

I'm happy for a prelim to be a pass mark this year as long as it's a stepping stone for the following 3 seasons

Think we are just a bit light on in midfield and experience in defence with lever/ harto but this is counterbalanced by this year being v open (although Hawks look to jumping to next level )

If we are not playing even better football by 2018 then something has gone wrong in meantime in development, retention and or recruiting

Remove this Banner Ad

Back