ODI Squad against Pakistan

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Due to be named at the conclusion of the current test.

Most of the players pick themselves but a few questions remain.

Chris Lynn's form with the bat in the BBL is impossible to ignore so he needs ago but we should also persist with Travis Head.

Bailey and Finch are the two batsmen in the side that would be in the biggest trouble. They'd also want to bring back Maxwell at some point.

And will Swepson and Stanlake get a run at some point?

My guess

Smith
Warner
Finch
Marsh
Bailey
Head
Marsh
Cartwright
Faulkner
Maxwell
Wade
Starc
Cummins
Hazlewood
Zampa

Wouldn't mind this for the first game or two...

David Warner
Usman Khawaja
Steve Smith (c)
Chris Lynn
Mitchell Marsh
Travis Head
Sam Whiteman (+)
James Faulkner
Pat Cummins
Mitchell Starc/Josh Hazlewood
Adam Zampa
-----------
Glenn Maxwell
AJ Tye/Chris Tremain/Billy Stanlake

Probably harsh on Bailey but I think it's time to try Lynn for a while. Rotate Starc and Hazey throughout the series. Have concerns about Head's form but he's done enough to keep his spot. The keepers spot is a concern - Dunk making runs in the BBL but he's got the same issue as Wade - he can't keep. Whiteman could do a job rotating the strike to the big hitters down the order and I like that he's experimenting with some scoop shots etc. Would be a nice way to test him in international waters.

Last edited:
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Lynn
M Marsh
Head
Wade (probably by default at this point)
Faulkner
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood

+ Finch, Maxwell, Zampa, Stanlake

That would probably be my first XI to start with the others as backup. I assume Starc, Hazlewood will be rested when we win/lose the series but after what happened against RSA I doubt they'll go in with a second XI bowling attack. Hopefully Stanlake, if picked can do better then the guys we sent over to SA not that long ago.

If Maxwell isnt going to play i hope they dont pick him, also Finch, Zampa and Wade should be dropped, Lynn should definately play and probably both Marsh brothers, Tye, dont pick Agar untill after the Stars have played them...

Faulkner too?

Can't ignore Lynn, with all the time he's spent on the shelf you have to give him a go whilst he's in the best form of his career. Who knows if he'll be able to maintain this form or be injury free

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maxwell probably had more of an impact on the New Zealand series as a substitute fielder than Finch did with bat, ball and I the field.

Finch has to go. No two ways about it.

I'm losing love for Faulkner every ODI he plays as well. Will be picked but a fringe player these days IMO.

Lynn, Handscomb and Head are the new generation in the middle order. Just how many we can fit in before the next World Cup is the question. Obviously got to fit M.Marsh in there as well.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Cameron White is a bit of a smoky after good form in matador, shield and big bash.
But at 33 and Lynn at 26 they have to go the latter.

Khawaja is quite clearly in the best side, it's a joke he can't get in the team.

Could always put either Khawaja or even Maxwell as opener if they're not picking Finch.

one of the articles on cricket.com.au listed this as a possible squad:
Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), Sean Abbott, George Bailey, Pat Cummins, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Travis Head, Josh Hazlewood, Chris Lynn, Mitchell Marsh, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, Adam Zampa

I'd rather them get some bowling at the back end. However I get your suggestion too.

Probably none of the Test squad will be playing in the Sri Lanka ODI series, given the Test starts 15 hours after the last ODI; and given also that they've announced that the Test squad will be warming up on an Indian-style pitch in the UAE.

David Warner
Usman Khawaja
Steve Smith (C)
Chris Lynn
Mitchell Marsh
Travis Head
Matthew Wade (+)
James Faulkner
Mitchell Starc
Pat Cummins
Josh Hazlewood
---------------------