Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is anyone else feeling underwhelmed.

He is not delivering anything.
He re-signed Nicks - despite overwhelming evidence to suggest otherwise

It feels like he just hides behind Silvers, delivers him talking points for PR and disappears.

The board has some serious questions to answer and I'm not sure we have any quality to dig us out of it. Even Goodings is really a sycophantic lifetime supporter F grade celeb selection. Ellis proves politicians aren't a guarantee to add anything of value. I just feel we have fallen into the trap of getting names the members know onto the board rather than finding elite decision makers in their field, businessman who know how to get things done.

Fish rots at the head.

The tone gets set from the top.

This board is crying out for more football people.

Politicians make the worst board members. They have big egos overrate themselves and are so used to towing the company line, they may as well not be there.

And, they are generally dumb. They are conditioned to say what they think is expected of them in any situation. They have very little original thought and as a result you have a predetermined safe outcome.

Fish rots at the head.

The tone gets set from the top.

This board is crying out for more football people.

Politicians make the worst board members. They have big egos overrate themselves and are so used to towing the company line, they may as well not be there.

And, they are generally dumb. They are conditioned to say what they think is expected of them in any situation. They have very little original thought and as a result you have a predetermined safe outcome.

Couldn't agree more. This is why Nicks extension smacks of PR first thinking.

Given the board jumped the shark & unnecessarily re-signed Nicks for 2 years... when anyone with half a brain would have had a wait & see policy... means more than half need to go with Nicks... as they have demonstrated they are incapable when it comes to making the key positions.

We really need a stronger football influence on the board... ie. With people who understand the importance of winning flags... everything else is fluff!

Last edited:
The board voted to extend Nicks. That much we know.

Who motioned the vote at that time and why couldn't it wait for another two months? That's what I want to know.

The board voted to extend Nicks. That much we know.

Who motioned the vote at that time and why couldn't it wait for another two months? That's what I want to know.
The vote should be made available to members...

If it was unanimous it would have already been placed front and centre to demonstrate a united board. The fact it hasn't says all you need to know.
Do you have an inside goss?

I assume the Chairman & Roo were in favour, given the decision was rushed & they are the most influential.

Do you have an inside goss?

I assume the Chairman & Roo were in favour, given the decision was rushed & they are the most influential.

Nah, but silence tells a story.

The biggest critique of the board under Chapman was everything was shrouded in silence. We had an issue we didn't say anything.

This board and Silvers wanted to be as transparent with the media and fans as possible.

We get no hurry to sign Nicks for 4 months after the season ended, then without warning, oh we resigned him. the question gets asked why? Silvers responds with the board always wanted to re-sign him so we did to avoid the noise around his coaching future heading into the year.

Several conclusions can be made
  • The board was far from united on this decision. Otherwise he would have been signed by the end of last year.
  • there was an about face and Nicks was signed out of the blue over night, boards do not operate this quickly without a push. Someone pushed this agenda. We only ever got several mediocre pressers from Silvers. But its clear someone wanted to roll the dice on Nicks and enough votes on the board passed it.
  • Roo is unusually silent and the club has not once said Nicks has Roo's backing.

I've seen a lot of coach re appointment pressers, they are happy circumstances, people on the board who backed them are named to reinforce the idea to fans that this couldn't be better. Tell me, what did we get? Seemed like the board just slipped this into the back page of the paper? why was this?

To sum it all up

The board are sending Silvers out to silence the issue. Now the club ambassadors are involved by backing Nicks and placing the blame on his assistants.

So no one on the board has bothered to put a face to the decision. Why? they new it was a roll of the dice, they completely screwed up and now the silence tells us they are all in hiding, hoping Nicks gets a couple of wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, but silence tells a story.

The biggest critique of the board under Chapman was everything was shrouded in silence. We had an issue we didn't say anything.

This board and Silvers wanted to be as transparent with the media and fans as possible.

We get no hurry to sign Nicks for 4 months after the season ended, then without warning, oh we resigned him. the question gets asked why? Silvers responds with the board always wanted to re-sign him so we did to avoid the noise around his coaching future heading into the year.

Several conclusions can be made
  • The board was far from united on this decision. Otherwise he would have been signed by the end of last year.
  • there was an about face and Nicks was signed out of the blue over night, boards do not operate this quickly without a push. Someone pushed this agenda. We only ever got several mediocre pressers from Silvers. But its clear someone wanted to roll the dice on Nicks and enough votes on the board passed it.
  • Roo is unusually silent and the club has not once said Nicks has Roo's backing.

I've seen a lot of coach re appointment pressers, they are happy circumstances, people on the board who backed them are named to reinforce the idea to fans that this couldn't be better. Tell me, what did we get? Seemed like the board just slipped this into the back page of the paper? why was this?

To sum it all up

The board are sending Silvers out to silence the issue. Now the club ambassadors are involved by backing Nicks and placing the blame on his assistants.

So no one on the board has bothered to put a face to the decision. Why? they new it was a roll of the dice, they completely screwed up and now the silence tells us they are all in hiding, hoping Nicks gets a couple of wins.
Well I hope more comes out about the re-signing process... but somehow I doubt it.

We need a board spill.

Is anyone inside brave enough?

Well I hope more comes out about the re-signing process... but somehow I doubt it.

We need a board spill.

Is anyone inside brave enough?

The club ambassadors within every media outlet have gone to ground and are backing Nicks. Many of those have direct ties to those in the board. So even if one wanted to, no one is interested in the story.

The club ambassadors within every media outlet have gone to ground and are backing Nicks. Many of those have direct ties to those in the board. So even if one wanted to, no one is interested in the story.
It's obvious both the board & AFC executive have been cowardly bunkering down... whilst members & supporters are furious.

Yes, they are getting their ambassadors to do the heavy lifting & using the likes of Rachele to talk about toning down his celebrations as a distraction.

By not getting real on the front foot, they are not only delaying the inevitable, they are reminding us they are useless when the club is under the pump. Ie. They are the opposite of what Anzac Day stands for.... going missing in adversity.

It's obvious both the board & AFC executive have been cowardly bunkering down... whilst members & supporters are furious.

Yes, they are getting their ambassadors to do the heavy lifting & using the likes of Rachele to talk about toning down his celebrations as a distraction.

By not getting real on the front foot, they are not only delaying the inevitable, they are reminding us they are useless when the club is under the pump. Ie. They are the opposite of what Anzac Day stands for.... going missing in adversity.

I can't help but feel, the culture they worked so hard to build is slowly starting to be chipped away. Consistently blaming players, poor selection integrity, players left in the Sanfl with no feedback. Remember, Crouch was basically abandoned by Nicks and its no secret he had nothing to go on as a way to get back into the AFL. If we won against Essendon that week and we chipped our way into the finals without Crouch, he would have been delisted or traded for a 3rd rounder at best at the end of the year. Keep this in mind.

Last year he argued we dont have players in the Sanfl knocking the door down at selection. This year we do but they are working on things.

The dude can't keep a story straight. I've never seen this from a coach. I'm sure even Neeld was better at this than Nicks.

I for one am shocked nothing has been achieved under the former political spin-master/public equities salesman John Olsen.

He’s an elderly life-long businessman/politician who’s only connection to football for most of his life was attending corporate hospitality at Norwood games prior to late in life part-time chairing a semi-amateur league/box ticking administration board.

Absolutely truely shocked he has not delivered when it comes to leading a professional football club.

Last edited:
I for one am shocked nothing has been achieved under the former political spin-master/public equities salesman John Olsen.

He’s an elderly life-long businessman/politician who’s only connection to football for most of his life was attending corporate hospitality at Norwood games prior to late in life chairing a part-time semi-amateur league/box ticking administration board who has not delivered when it comes to leading a professional football club, truely shocked.

This made me laugh. Described it perfectly.

Given the board jumped the shark & unnecessarily re-signed Nicks for 2 years... when anyone with half a brain would have had a wait & see policy... means more than half need to go with Nicks... as they have demonstrated they are incapable when it comes to making the key positions.

We really need a stronger football influence on the board... ie. With people who understand the importance of winning flags... everything else is fluff!

Let's not forget too that they did something equally as dumb when they re-signed him before a ball was even bounced in 2022, when he still had 12 months left on his contract.

Any half decent club would have sacked him at the end of 2022, yet we've stupidly given this guy two undeserved contract extensions without him ever achieving anything.

Likely the biggest problem is Roo. Hard to imagine they resigned Nicks without Roo pushing, or at least backing it. His history with the Birdman regime is notorious. We need someone with better judgement making football reccs to the board.

If the admin were to wake up and sack Nicks after having recently extended him, the footy media would go deep into a narrative about the Crows in disarray. So the same insecurity that had the club admin thinking they needed to extend him early, caring what the media thinks, "stopping the noise" etc. is now what will keep them from sacking him.

Likely the biggest problem is Roo. Hard to imagine they resigned Nicks without Roo pushing, or at least backing it. His history with the Birdman regime is notorious. We need someone with better judgement making football reccs to the board.

Reckon Nix is Roo's last chance to have delivered something resembling a successful footy program. Having media attention derailing an otherwise successful year wouldn't have sat well with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back