Strategy Operation Sign Alastair Clarkson 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Pyke would be a good choice. He made a bad mistake or at least was party to one... but the way the club handled it reflected more on how the Crows administration was a train wreck rather than just himself. Hes a Grand Final coach with a positive game plan and that cant be underestimated.

(make that two mistakes....the power stance was also pretty embarrasing)

If we look at Pyke he has to agree to leave his idiotic new world approaches behind.

In the age of soft cap, it would make it very unlikely for a senior coach to move from one club to another. Any extra money they could command (and it wouldn’t be much) would be effectively taken out of their expenses budget.

Coaches used to move from club to club all the time back in the day ... but it rarely happens anymore. I can only think of Ross Lyon St Kilda -> Freo and even that was in the days before the soft cap.
Fair points in terms of limited coaching movements. I did hear they are pushing hard to remove the coach's salary from the soft cap so potentially he might be trying to up his value if that occurs and he wants to move. Or we just pay the tax if we go over it.

Having said that he may genuinely be off the table. I can't help but think though with Wright having been at Hawthorn, we are not someway down the path in terms of discussions with either one of those 2 in terms of their interest in the position.

And with Clarko he's already shown he's one to make tough calls in moving favorite sons (for theirs and hawthorns benefits) so I am not entirely convinced he's off the market yet...

He could be that guy, as far as I know it is rumored that he 'demands' of his players but also drives confidence in the individual as well as the collective to meet that 'demand'. I'm really guessing here and I don't know if / how that is any different to Nathan.

What Dwayne said is something more removed from the narrative on here that our list is all of a sudden sh*t coz, Adz, Stepho and Phillips.

For mine it's not a Ferrari (it was recently) but it's not a Yaris either, it's somewhere in between and just needs the right coach that can take it forward and build with it and make the most of the V8 Holden it might be now.

Williams bit more inspirational in terms of coaching vs the inspire ya self ya plebs bucks brought and Harvey is similar (very monotone) from reports.

I reckon Alastair Clarkson is false hope considering his comments reaffirming his commitment to Hawks.

I was supportive of the idea of Clarkson, but I'm comfortable if it isn't. It leaves Mitchell out there as a pretty enticing up-and-comer.

If we can get the right assistants around a coach of his qualities and intelligence I think that could be a winning combination.

Mark Williams is the one I'd love to see come back and coach the Pies.

Port imo were very unlucky that they met their bunny in us in 02 and 03 we matched them well.

Some of their games vs Brisbane in that period is some of the best footy you could hope to watch as a neutral. Tough fast skilled footy. Port often coming out on top.

He then rebuilds them somewhat prematurely in 07 and then dumped not too long after.

Gets a bum wrap because of his angst when coaching port re some comments around the pies/port jumper s**t.

Fair points in terms of limited coaching movements. I did hear they are pushing hard to remove the coach's salary from the soft cap so potentially he might be trying to up his value if that occurs and he wants to move. Or we just pay the tax if we go over it.

Having said that he may genuinely be off the table. I can't help but think though with Wright having been at Hawthorn, we are not someway down the path in terms of discussions with either one of those 2 in terms of their interest in the position.

And with Clarko he's already shown he's one to make tough calls in moving favorite sons (for theirs and hawthorns benefits) so I am not entirely convinced he's off the market yet...
If Clarko were to depart Hawthorn, I think that discussion would be instigated by the club rather than him.
If they really want to lock in Mitchell.
They may ask the question…he may close it down fast or keep the dialogue open?

If Clarko were to depart Hawthorn, I think that discussion would be instigated by the club rather than him.

If we had a choice between Clarkson or Mitchell, I would go with Mitchell every day and twice on Sundays.

Key to that is we already have an experienced footy boss in Wright. Mitchell would bring energy to the role.

Also key to that is that we’re already hitting bottom - it’s not going to be anything like the pressure cooker that Nathan “We would have won another three Premierships if we hadn’t sacked Malthouse” Buckley found himself in.

If we had a choice between Clarkson or Mitchell, I would go with Mitchell every day and twice on Sundays.

Key to that is we already have an experienced footy boss in Wright. Mitchell would bring energy to the role.

Also key to that is that we’re already hitting bottom - it’s not going to be anything like the pressure cooker that Nathan “We would have won another three Premierships if we hadn’t sacked Malthouse” Buckley found himself in.

Taking over a team 1 year into a rebuild is often a poisoned chalice most coaches don't survive the rebuild unless they have absolute backing of said club for 6 to 9 years and that is rare.

Watching the Hawks defeat Sydney, you can see what a great coach Clarkson is, and it makes it harder for us to have any hope of prising him out of Hawthorn.
He would be excited by the young group at the Hawks, and would want to take them to a finals series. But you never know, a very good offer may make him think, but l doubt it...

Last edited:
He may instigate the discussion if he wants an extension post 2022. It'd be hard to imagine he'd go into 2022 without a contract beyond that, so that discussion would have to happen at some point this year you'd think.

He's statement that he wants to remain may be a 'ball's in your court' to the board.

Why I sense Wright must know more than others in his role and maybe why he's brought this announcement now.

Until something comes out one way or another, there'll be a lot of commentary and guesses (from the media and us too)...

Personally l would like to see a Yze, Kingsley or a Mitchell, with a strong support crew around them. We should be doing everything to get Williams back to the club as mentor, and look for assistants such as Sumich, Voss, Kingsley, Pyke, Caracella, Lappin, Corey, or a Johnson to jump on board, and work with the new coach to create their own brand. If we go with a young coach, he will need assistants with alot of experience and those who have had success at their respective clubs...

Taking over a team 1 year into a rebuild is often a poisoned chalice most coaches don't survive the rebuild unless they have absolute backing of said club for 6 to 9 years and that is rare.

Being a senior coach under any circumstances seems to be a poisoned chalice. Clubs seem to favour new coaches these days. You probably wouldn’t need your toes to count the number of senior coaches alive who have been at more than one club … Barassi, Blight, Parkin, Matthews, Malthouse, Sheedy, Lyon, Worsfold, Roos, Ratten, um, er, I’m out?

Only two of those got a second gig without having won a Premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s the the fine line between new blood/experience which is hard to find
Exciting game plan
Lures players back with a big head coach name
But it’s gonna be a hard decision and who wants it

the way football is being played with bulk speed the last thing we want is Lyon I think it
Would be worse than buckley
Yes overtime he may of change but is he really that good of a coach???
who knows
It’s gonna be a long dragged out process and it’s gonna be in the news constantly and unfortunately for pies fans it’s gonna eat at us constantly til they sign someone

just a few thoughts

From where I sit it would be entirely logical to have Clarko serve out his final year in 2022 with Mitchell as his senior assistant, then push Clarko up to a more hands-off "director of coaching" role with Mitchell taking over as senior coach in 2023.

It's the arrangement that we had with MM and Buckley that fell over for a number of reasons, but I reckon an arrangement like that has much more chance of sticking at the Hawks, especially given that Clarko himself might be amenable to stepping back from the daily grind of being a senior AFL coach and progressing his career further more into the management side of things (perhaps even overseeing and advising on coaching for all four Hawks football teams - AFL, VFL, AFLW, VFLW) after 17 years straight at the helm.

The timing is right, I reckon the motivations of all parties concerned may be right, and the right people are already in place so it all kinda just fits.
Yep, that also makes sense.

Why does what Eddie think or try have any relevance what so ever? Yesterday’s hero
Are you joining the club of people whining about Ed actually doing his job? He produces Footy Classified and is its Wednesday compare. That's his bread and butter and it was very entertaining because it's exactly the kind of 'sell' our selection panel will be making.

Being a senior coach under any circumstances seems to be a poisoned chalice. Clubs seem to favour new coaches these days. You probably wouldn’t need your toes to count the number of senior coaches alive who have been at more than one club … Barassi, Blight, Parkin, Matthews, Malthouse, Sheedy, Lyon, Worsfold, Roos, Ratten, um, er, I’m out?

Hafey

Personally l would like to see a Yze, Kingsley or a Mitchell, with a strong support crew around them. We should be doing everything to get Williams back to the club as mentor, and look for assistants such as Sumich, Voss, Kingsley, Pyke, Caracella, Lappin, Corey, or a Johnson to jump on board, and work with the new coach to create their own brand. If we go with a young coach, he will need assistants with alot of experience and those who have had success at their respective clubs...
Yes this is the way we should go imo add Cox and Solomon to that list of assistants

Last edited:

Alan Joyce is the only one I can think of. But your point is valid, new coaches seem to be the flavour, interesting to see if thr experiences of Bolton, Teague, Shaw mean more second timers get another chance if they're not in a role currently (ie Ratten) or clubs entice senior coaches to move.

What Hawthorn does would have some impact on what we do in this situation, no? Just throwing it out there that the grass isn't necessarily going to be greener on the other side for either Clarkson or Mitchell.

I dont want either of them personally but if the club is after either of them, then they need to want to come to Collingwood and not just use us as Plan B.

What Hawthorn elects to do is their own decision.

I dont want either of them personally but if the club is after either of them, then they need to want to come to Collingwood and not just use us as Plan B.

What Hawthorn elects to do is their own decision.

You're barking up the wrong tree here - I'm speculating that we may not be Path A, Path B, or even Path Z, if you will, for either Clarkson or Mitchell in this situation (in response to a Hawks poster who is putting forward that Clarko would be more likely to come to us on a 5 year deal than stay at the Hawks).

Personally I'm not overly keen either despite their obvious pedigree, but having said that other well-credentialed names linked to us already such as Lyon, Pyke, etc don't exactly thrill me to the back teeth either.

I guess what it comes down to is a clear understanding of what we want out of this next coach (including the length of their tenure) and then which direction we want to go in once we're through this "rebuilding / development" phase.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back