Mega Thread Opinion: If you have one about the clubs current predicament - post them here

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Ironies of Melbourne being so crap

Spot on ox...

I am so keen for Melbourne to cut the Cr@p out of this list... I would take 0 wins next year if it meant cleaning out all the poison in this club!!

I love this sporting club and will never turn my back on it, but we really need to take the hardline stance and demand our players repay the sh!t that we go through week-in and week-out..

After the shocking turn-out by our fans to the Neitz tribute game I rang up Triple M and went off my **** and got a $100 liquor voucher. It was ace.

Use the drill to menace the players IRA style if they get pumped this week.

Could someone give a quick summary of the Ox's rant to a poor soul with capped interwebz?

It's not the coach, it's the players.
Said that you should be 100% every time you go out there
Privilege not a right.
Suggested MFC players simply doing it on their terms.
Said those that aren't giving it their all should bugger off.
Compared Sydney to 186.
There's a time and place to disagree with the coach - on the training track, not game day.
Suggested 15 or so could go to Casey.
Don't care about losing as long as the players give it a crack - when they don't it is a huge problem.
Said that Melbourne players don't deserve the salary cap.
Only 3 players worth their salt - Clark, Magner, Jones.
The admin, the FD and especially the supporters don't deserve this.

Re: Try a 'love-fest'.

Could be a good exercise to brighten the mood of the players and improve the feeling amongst the coaches/players; though if the players really don't like Neeld and the new coaches, they could wind up with a lot of bruises at the end of the day.:p

Yeah true. Though at least they'd have an outlet to blow off any steam in a healthy way.

Privilege not a right.
Compared Sydney to 186.
There's a time and place to disagree with the coach - on the training track, not game day.
Don't care about losing as long as the players give it a crack - when they don't it is a huge problem.

Would only pay the players 75% of the cap if he could, because thats all they deserve,

certain players being paid 3-500K per year should be on 2 dollars a year

Players should consider paying back there wages due to performance

When you call radio stations ranting your head off you'll win prizes.

(just won the drill off SEN)

What did you end up saying, mate?

What did you end up saying, mate?

If Beamer wants to shop himself around and not put in 100% he doesn't deserve to wear the jumper.

If Beamer wants to shop himself around and not put in 100% he doesn't deserve to wear the jumper.

You would think that if he is shopping himself around he would be putting in far more effort to up his chances of another club taking him in FA. I just don't think the bloke is up to it anymore, period. Far too slow and one dimensional for the modern game. Almost a 2012 Brock McLean.

You would think that if he is shopping himself around he would be putting in far more effort to up his chances of another club taking him in FA. I just don't think the bloke is up to it anymore, period. Far too slow and one dimensional for the modern game. Almost a 2012 Brock McLean.

He's out of contract. I don't get why he isn't putting in 100%, but if he isn't going to, well, good luck to him getting a deal he's "happy" with.

He's out of contract. I don't get why he isn't putting in 100%, but if he isn't going to, well, good luck to him getting a deal he's "happy" with.

Me either, but his 100% is not much chop anyway these days. The sooner we replace him the better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Try a 'love-fest'.

Malthouse has said that because, quite obviously, there have been issues among the playing group and coaching team.

Why else would he say it?

I dont know how the playing group and coaching team are getting along - but its only natural that when youre this far down, moral will be low.

Its straight out of coaching 101 - dont kick your team when theyre down, a good coach needs to get his messages across, and also keep moral up.

It’s blunt, it’s frustrating and it’s the plain, candid truth.

It’s blunt, it’s frustrating and it’s the plain, candid truth. This is my explanation as to why the Melbourne Football Club has become the worst performing football club in the AFL as well as my opinion as to what exactly lies ahead for this club.

Many think it started on the horrid day down at Kardinia Park where in round 19 2011 The MFC succumbed to what can only be described as a beating of the most prolific variety. It was the day which triggered the unfortunate sacking of a good coach in Dean Bailey, a man who was ultimately destined to fail. However it wasn’t the day which caused the downfall of the Melbourne Demons. It was only one of many residuals which resulted due to the bullying tactics of people who were unprofessional, ignorant and irresponsible.

What people don’t know is that a coach can only do so much; they can only say so much and at one stage or another need to think about themselves and their own career before they react for what they think is in the best interest of the club. He had the correct game plan, one which was clearly similar to that of Mark Thompsons which he implemented on the cats. However, what he didn’t have was faith nor respect of his peers. He wasn’t backed in by all the board and he wasn’t allowed to make his own decisions because of hidden contracts. This in conjunction with constant other off field mishaps such as the 5 million dollar debt and the poor antics of board members provided Bailey with a one-way ticket to failure. Now I’m not saying he was a great coach as he did make some bad decisions (though I’m sure these were heavily pushed by others close to the club) but under the circumstances a fair bit of kudos should be given to the man, he had come out of a great stint as an assistant coach at a successful club, and at this current time is involved in the resurgence of the Adelaide Crows, a team who look to be a future powerhouse of the Competition. So I feel that Bailey was unfairly dealt with and it was a great shame to see him go the way he did.

Now, here we are in 2012 where perhaps the club has finally realised their destruction and have moved forward for the better of the club. A fresh new look, starting with the new coaching staff and game plan may well have Melbourne on its way to an honest yet one-day rewarding rebuild of the club. A fair bit of Credit needs to be given to the head coach Mark Neeld. He has come to the club partly knowing that this club plain and simply is in a fair bit of strife. However, he must never have known to this extent. Of course this further worsened through the death of Jim Stynes, a fighter and hero who brushed of illness at risk of his life to nobly help resurrect this club. Perhaps it was Stynes who has inspired this resurgence, one can only hope. Neeld has been bold in his short time at this club, something which this club has lacked in recent years. He has drafted utility Mitch Clark and has made the tough decisions on some of the senior players. We have come to terms with the new game plan which highlights the need for teamwork, commitment, aggression and willingness it’s a long, long way off being anywhere near perfected and probably highlights the players previous lack of these traits. However, you can bet your bottom dollar that Neeld is going to consistently drill this plan into the club, until it one day becomes instinctive.

It’s frustrating having to rebuild after our previous flawed rebuild, but it cannot be changed and the best thing is that the coach understands this and is not reverting to old traits. The club and supporters must have faith in Neeld because there is nothing else we can do. It’s disappointing to see the players still performing so poorly, but it will make it all the sweeter when it finally turns around. It’s taken a long time, but the players are finally starting to realise that performance doesn’t just come naturally it requires hard work, and Mark Neeld is the right man as he appears to be as hard as they come and wont steer clear of his designated path, one we hope leads to success.

Before we become too critical on the players, whose efforts are being labelled as ‘effortless’ and ‘pathetic’ we must understand their perspective of things. The game plan in the past 12 months has changed dramatically, in fact it’s almost the opposite, focusing on contested football and hardness and defence as opposed to run and spread and carry. It’s blunt, but you’re kidding yourself if you think they are just going to change overnight. These blokes have been practicing the previous attacking game styles for years and as we all know it’s hard to break through old habits, but that’s exactly what they have to do if they want to become a successful team. I, personally have faith that they can adapt to this game plan and so does the rest of the football club. However, there is certainly some blame which needs to be put towards the players. To put it simply I think it’s a problem of acceptance and with this attitude. It astounds me how such a passionate club can have players on their list whom simply don’t look interested and as some media have said are just happy to be an AFL player. It’s not acceptable and though it isn’t the majority of the list they do stand out from the rest and it does not sit well with anyone in football let alone the club. It’s an unprofessional look and it highlights how poorly developed this team is. Though, this isn’t because of the senior coaches in Bailey and Neeld, it’s the lesser likes, the ones who simply let things slide and didn’t play their role in developing the players.

It appears as if the players do not accept responsibility for their actions on the field and this attitude will no doubt change in the near future as under Neeld’s guidance the axe most certainly will be swung. These players now have decisions to make and this will be the true test of their character, as these decisions will ultimately determine their fate, allowing this club to move on to the future. The club is always going to have ‘haters’ and ‘believers’. It’s an easy decision as to which I’ll be and I’m sure that’s the same for the rest of the MFC faithful. We’ve been on a long road, and there is still a while yet, but when we hit our destination it’s going to be one hell of a ride.

Stay true to the red and blue :)

Re: It’s blunt, it’s frustrating and it’s the plain, candid truth.

Kardinia.

I automatically saw that straight away too! :eek:

While I admire the effort put in here it seems that all and sundry are starting new topics all the time that outline where they think we are going wrong and how we can improve it and so forth, which is great, but they all amount to the same things. I don't think we need to start new topics every time a thought pops in to our heads. There have been enough threads for us to contribute in with our thoughts over the last few days.

Just my opinion on the matter and I didn't feel that other threads really expressed all these points, but each to their own

I automatically saw that straight away too! :eek:

While I admire the effort put in here it seems that all and sundry are starting new topics all the time that outline where they think we are going wrong and how we can improve it and so forth, which is great, but they all amount to the same things. I don't think we need to start new topics every time a thought pops in to our heads. There have been enough threads for us to contribute in with our thoughts over the last few days.

Personally I'd love too see more threads like 'The Cut'. It's good that we can keep our sense of humour in dire times.

Not sure anyone thinks the problems started with 186, fairly obvious that there must have been problems building for some time beforehand in order to produce the second worst performance in afl/vfl history.

His manager is not Brent. You will find most players will be like Cloke and Goddard etc. This isn't new either a lot of people just don't understand the role of a manager.
Brent has put a lot in over the years for the football club, organising boxing camps, helping with the new recruits initiating. (dinners and history about the MFC)
I know he was shattered when he was overlooked for not only the Captaincy but also the leadership group. From what I could gain from it he worked his ass of preseason and probably over did it and has had a re-occurance of OP. Struggled round 1 and then missed a couple of weeks. Still isn't 100%.

Privilege not a right.
Compared Sydney to 186.

Cheers Striker. :thumbsu:

Good rant from the big fella, let's hope the players can respond to this completely contempt shown from all sections of the footy public.

I actually had a mate tell me he felt sorry for me, he couldn't even be bothered ripping into the club.

None of my mates give me s**t about Melbourne and (other than the fact I'm a top bloke :D) it's because they can't bring themselves to.

We're pitied.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back