Oppo Camp Other Club News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

And the club advice will change from:

If you do the wrong thing and use a match day banned drug during the week, tell the club doctor and find out if you've still got it in your system.

to

If you do the wrong thing and use a match day banned drug during the week, tell an external GP and find out if you've still got it in your system. Here's a list of places that you can get a test done quickly.

What's the difference? The club doctor is their GP. It just means they'll be encouraged to go to a different place to get tested - with no connection to the club.

It's just like encouraging a kid to have an STI check if they have unprotected sex - it isn't encouraging or enabling - it's minimising harm when they make choices that you don't want them to make.

Can’t imagine too many regular GPs with a non sporting background willing to make a forecast of whether the drugs will still be in the system in two days time.

Can’t imagine too many regular GPs with a non sporting background willing to make a forecast of whether the drugs will still be in the system in two days time.
Neither would the club doctor or the clinic that the club sends them to for testing. They'd just be telling them whether there is any trace of drugs in the sample they tested. And if a later test could show up positive they'd be warning them of the possibility and likelihood that that could occur. (no idea how common that'd be) - personally I'd just pull a sickie regardless of the drug test result - the risk is too great.

Last edited:
THC is the one that sticks around. Most other 'chemicals' dissipate sufficiently with 24-36 hours to avoid a positive test result.
At least that's what I read in some technical literature from testing aparatus used in our workplace...

THC is the one that sticks around. Most other 'chemicals' dissipate sufficiently with 24-36 hours to avoid a positive test result.
At least that's what I read in some technical literature from testing aparatus used in our workplace...
For that reason - marijuana has to be over a threshold quantity to be banned on matchday.

But it can be 3 days in your urine for cocaine (less than that in your blood) - no idea for most of the other drugs.

Neither would the club doctor or the clinic that the club sends them to for testing. They'd just be telling them whether there is any trace of drugs in the sample they tested. And if a later test could show up positive they'd be warning them of the possibility and likelihood that that could occur. (no idea how common that'd be) - personally I'd just pull a sickie regardless of the drug test result - the risk is too great.

Surely somebody is currently advising them to invent hamstring awareness. And surely that somebody is the club doctor. Can’t imagine some of these players are smart enough to to be sitting out of their own volition. Clarry especially.

For that reason - marijuana has to be over a threshold quantity to be banned on matchday.

But it can be 3 days in your urine for cocaine (less than that in your blood) - no idea for most of the other drugs.
This is a good policy, particularly given that marijuana is becoming a more common form of medical treatment. What is intersting is that many workplaces don't have the equipment to detect various 'levels' within a positive test. Until the testing equipment becomes cheap and reliable for other than positive/negative testing there will issues around the testing process.

Surely somebody is currently advising them to invent hamstring awareness. And surely that somebody is the club doctor. Can’t imagine some of these players are smart enough to to be sitting out of their own volition. Clarry especially.

I think most of us are smart enough to come up with a bogus reason for a sickie. Covid - sick as a dog - can't come in.

I think most of us are smart enough to come up with a bogus reason for a sickie. Covid - sick as a dog - can't come in.

We aren’t talking about “us” though. We are talking about footballers. They don’t want to miss a single game. You are paying them too much credit. Somebody is telling them to fake an injury, I’d back that in.

I think this is one of those things where the best solution isn’t necessarily a liberal approach or a hardline approach …

… it’s the rate at which the pendulum swings between the two.

I can’t imagine that the pendulum doesn’t have too far further to swing in the liberal direction (mandated drug rooms in all clubs with free test kits provided?) so maybe it’s time for the pendulum to start swinging back.

Maybe it’s time that we just need to let a bunch of players get busted and cop four year bans.

As liberal as it might seem, I think that there's a natural balance in the system which has evolved.

Clubs are working to protect their players, and in the same spirit they also want to get the best out of their assets, to have them on the field with optimal performance.

I doubt that there's a culture at any club which is (to borrow a term from a repugnant man) 'relaxed and comfortable' with players having drugs in their system. It doesn't suggest a serious commitment to the collective, it's unprofessional, and it would possibly impact on selection and a future contract, so I think that both players and clubs would be very keen to avoid making a habit of this convenient workaround.

How about the players stop using drugs?

You know the ones which are illegal, are sold by street level criminals, who source them from organised crime gangs or bikies prepared to endanger public safety by ordering a house be shot up or someone executed on a city street?

These mid level dealers ultimately get product like cocaine from the Cartels who will happily murder by burning people alive or dismemberment.

I find it interesting the disparity in public acceptance of celebrities or people in general who continually support criminal activity by drug use in comparison to a footballer or celebrity being instantly cancelled if they're merely accused of a crime with a sexual element.

I'd strongly argue that drug use and the drug trade harms more women and children directly or indirectly across the globe in regards to poverty, violence and sexual assault than all the offenders wishing to fulfill some deviant sexual desire.

Any yet one is almost celebrated like it doesn't have consequences for people outside the individual getting high, that unlike rape it's always victimless.

This weekend I wonder how many middle class Australians paying a premium for their bag of cocaine, stops to think how that purchase directly and negatively impacts families living half way around the world, who can't escape the fear of having to live alongside cartels or the corrupt police or politicians who invariably follow.

God knows they cause societal problems themselves but drink a legal drug in alcohol or hell smoke an illegal joint with more benefits than a legal cigarette if you must.

Stop putting money in the hands of criminals however and stop pretending you aren't hurting anyone but yourself.

We aren’t talking about “us” though. We are talking about footballers. They don’t want to miss a single game. You are paying them too much credit. Somebody is telling them to fake an injury, I’d back that in.

THey'll be told not to play if they test positive.

Is there an Australian employee who doesn't know how to take a day off? If they test positive, the players would then choose whether they bullshit the coaches with a sickie excuse or are up front with why they won't be playing. The reason for the day off may be different, but it's the same choice that we all make when we "need" a day off for a non-medical reason.

You know the ones which are illegal, are sold by street level criminals, who source them from organised crime gangs or bikies prepared to endanger public safety by ordering a house be shot up or someone executed on a city street?

These mid level dealers ultimately get product like cocaine from the Cartels who will happily murder by burning people alive or dismemberment.

I find it interesting the disparity in public acceptance of celebrities or people in general who continually support criminal activity by drug use in comparison to a footballer or celebrity being instantly cancelled if they're merely accused of a crime with a sexual element.

I'd strongly argue that drug use and the drug trade harms more women and children directly or indirectly across the globe in regards to poverty, violence and sexual assault than all the offenders wishing to fulfill some deviant sexual desire.

Any yet one is almost celebrated like it doesn't have consequences for people outside the individual getting high, that unlike rape it's always victimless.

This weekend I wonder how many middle class Australians paying a premium for their bag of cocaine, stops to think how that purchase directly and negatively impacts families living half way around the world, who can't escape the fear of having to live alongside cartels or the corrupt police or politicians who invariably follow.

God knows they cause societal problems themselves but drink a legal drug in alcohol or hell smoke an illegal joint with more benefits than a legal cigarette if you must.

Stop putting money in the hands of criminals however and stop pretending you aren't hurting anyone but yourself.

Not arguing with any of that. That's all part of trying to educate people to not take drugs.

But we've moved away from using punishment to try to stop use, because it doesn't work, anywhere in the world. So we educate, counsel to try to reduce use and then also try to minimise the harm done when people do choose to take drugs.

Not just Bevo, Chris Grant has a lot of influence there and not good.

I reckon Bevo has to answer for them not contending with that list they have built. Constantly plays players out of position, doesn't let them settle either (Darcy has been swung around more than a rusty clothesline) Wants loyal yes men as coaches and not the best coach available, tries to run everything himself.

Seems like egan has been hired there to keep him in line. If jack becomes available we should 100% give it a crack

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Bevo has to answer for them not contending with that list they have built. Constantly plays players out of position, doesn't let them settle either (Darcy has been swung around more than a rusty clothesline) Wants loyal yes men as coaches and not the best coach available, tries to run everything himself.

Seems like egan has been hired there to keep him in line. If jack becomes available we should 100% give it a crack
Not so sure you are right.

Egan is one of the boys and not Bevo's.

I don't mind if people have a think about the broader implications of their choices, but to make a moral comparison between someone who hoovers some cocaine and people who commit sexual assault is ludicrous.

The carnage caused by our society's day-to-day consumer choices wreaks considerably more havoc and misery across the world that all of those nasty cartels.

The clothes we wear enslaves people throughout the world, often feeding into the profits of the drug cartels. The operations of western corporations can pillage societies and lay waste to the environment, all for our daily gratification, but I suppose that's okay because we don't know the details and these enjoyments aren't purchased from some shady bloke up the street.

We congregate wealth, provoke conflict in poorer parts of the world, ruin the planet and directly benefit from the misery of the most vulnerable people in the world, but the law is mostly okay with that so we're absolved.

Except for the coke sniffers.

It's fair enough to point out the illegality of the cokeheads, but the moral conclusion you draw from that is more problematic.

Not so sure you are right.

Egan is one of the boys and not Bevo's.
I don't know mate, they've built a top 4 caliber list and can't make finals... thats on bevo. I was under the impression after the review they thought Bevo had his hands in too many cookie jars so to speak and needed to concentrate on coaching the team, If they dont make finals again I reckon he gets his marching orders + based on reports he is difficult to work with

I don't know mate, they've built a top 4 caliber list and can't make finals... thats on bevo. I was under the impression after the review they thought Bevo had his hands in too many cookie jars so to speak and needed to concentrate on coaching the team, If they dont make finals again I reckon he gets his marching orders + based on reports he is difficult to work with
Grant did the review - he is the problem as are a couple of others on staff.

Not sticking up for Bevo as he also has faults but the review is/was a farce.

Are you serious?

I don't mind if people have a think about the broader implications of their choices, but to make a moral comparison between someone who hoovers some cocaine and people who commit sexual assault is ludicrous.

The carnage caused by our society's day-to-day consumer choices wreaks considerably more havoc and misery across the world that all of those nasty cartels.

The clothes we wear enslaves people throughout the world, often feeding into the profits of the drug cartels. The operations of western corporations can pillage societies and lay waste to the environment, all for our daily gratification, but I suppose that's okay because we don't know the details and these enjoyments aren't purchased from some shady bloke up the street.

We congregate wealth, provoke conflict in poorer parts of the world, ruin the planet and directly benefit from the misery of the most vulnerable people in the world, but the law is mostly okay with that so we're absolved.

Except for the coke sniffers.

It's fair enough to point out the illegality of the cokeheads, but the moral conclusion you draw from that is more problematic.

Using drugs isn't a basic human need.

Having shelter and protection from the weather using timber to make houses or cotton to make clothes is.

Hell human reproduction is a need if we want the human species to continue so it's no surprise that the sexual desires that form an important part can sometimes become abnormal and lead to crimes.

Right now we're seeing a whole generation of young professionals with disposal income who think that ringing up their local drug dealer to engage in some casual drug use over the weekend is as normal as buying a slab, it has no consequences beyond themself and is only a problem if a person can't afford their addiction.

The people who can't afford their addiction however we then label junkies and their isn't much sympathy to be found for those who have to resort to crimes to feed a habit.

In reality however both are breaking the law, both are buying off criminal drug dealers and by doing so are supporting a wider network of people committing serious crimes.

Partaking in recreational drugs from time-to-time is hardly the moral dilema of the age. Addictive and destructive opiod-based drugs are another subject altogether.

Using drugs isn't a basic human need.

Having shelter and protection from the weather using timber to make houses or cotton to make clothes is.

Hell human reproduction is a need if we want the human species to continue so it's no surprise that the sexual desires that form an important part can sometimes become abnormal and lead to crimes.

Right now we're seeing a whole generation of young professionals with disposal income who think that ringing up their local drug dealer to engage in some casual drug use over the weekend is as normal as buying a slab, it has no consequences beyond themself and is only a problem if a person can't afford their addiction.

The people who can't afford their addiction however we then label junkies and their isn't much sympathy to be found for those who have to resort to crimes to feed a habit.

In reality however both are breaking the law, both are buying off criminal drug dealers and by doing so are supporting a wider network of people committing serious crimes.
Are only "basic human needs" permissible? Is legality the sole determinant of rightness?

Are you serious?

So you think there are more sex offenders across the globe than drug users?

You don't think drugs and alcohol are just as big a societal issue or bigger?

How many children are going hungry everyday because their parent/s spent the money on drugs?

How many wives are being beaten because their husband is on a bender?

How many people are being robbed on the street in order to fund a habit or houses broken into?

Hell how many sexual crimes are being committed because someone is under the influence?

This isn't about minimisation of sexual based offences it's about the minimisation of drug use or more particulary a developing culture of celebration of it's use like we see with alcohol in this country.

It's a normalisation or at least a normalisation for those who can fly under the radar because they can afford it like footballers and/or it's a casual use.

Those drugs are still coming from the same big bad place however as someone derided by society as a junkie and their purchase still has wider ramifications for those outside of the individuals taking them.

It's that denial that I have most issue with.

Anyway I'm bored now.

On with the footy!

Go Pies!

How many children are going hungry everyday because their parent/s spent the money on drugs?

How many people are being robbed on the street in order to fund a habit or houses broken into?

Hell how many sexual crimes are being committed because someone is under the influence?

This isn't about minimisation of sexual based offences it's about the minimisation of drug use or more particulary a developing culture of celebration of it's use like we see with alcohol in this country.

It's a normalisation or at least a normalisation for those who can fly under the radar because they can afford it like footballers and/or it's a casual use.

Those drugs are still coming from the same big bad place however as someone derided by society as a junkie and their purchase still has wider ramifications for those outside of the individuals taking them.

Anyway I'm bored now.

On with the footy!

Go Pies!
There is no equivalence between a sex offender and a drug user. What the * kind of thing to say is that?

You're shaking your fist a lot at the wrong causes

Anyway I'm bored now.

On with the footy!

Go Pies!
Jesus this is a lot of garbage. People do bad things under the influence or not. You being a sour puss isn't gonna change anything

Anyway I'm bored now.

On with the footy!

Go Pies!
Great post.

There’s more truth in this than people realise.
Take it from someone who’s family has been touched by this more than once.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back