Oppo Camp Other Club News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So being diverted away from game day Wada test because of coke use (that may contain clenbuterol) is ok… even if the player has clenbuterol etc in their system - which you stipulate is worse

So the Melbourne player who was out for several weeks with ‘a hammy’ that never healed… may have very well had clenbuterol picked up by the club provided drug test… but was led in a different direction to avoid wada sanction…

Nothing to see here 🤷‍♀️
In addition to the other comments above, it wouldn't matter if the "Melbourne player with the hammy" sat out footy, he could still be SIA/WADA tested at any point in time. You need to let this go.

The WADA code isn’t to prevent players having recreational drugs in their system on match day, it’s to stop them having performance enhancing drugs in their system on match day, or for drugs such as clenbuterol which helps with muscle building, endurance and recovery, having it in your system at all. WADA couldn’t give a * about recreational drugs providing they aren’t considered performance enhancing on match day.

As for subverting the WADA code, it’s not stopping players from having drugs in their system on match day, it’s stopping players with drugs in their system having a match day. It’s not going to deter drug use at all. You’ve got it backwards.

I'm struggling to see why you think I've got it backwards.

It's not trying to deter drug use outside of match day. Like you said - they're not interested in that. It's trying to stop athletes competing whilst on match day banned recreational drugs. Full stop. It's what both WADA match day testing and this testing is doing - trying to stop athletes competing whilst they've got match day banned drugs in their system. It fits really well with WADA's policy.

Last edited:

it would be party drugs that are banned only in competition. You can’t self report on a ped, we’ll you can but it would be pretty stupid as you’ll get done.
Urine tests conducted by doctors to determine if a player has used illicit substances are part of the AFL's Illicit Drug Policy medical model and have been for some time.

Doctors may use those urine tests to obtain an immediate result to determine whether any illicit substance remains in a player's system. This is normally conducted at the club or in the doctors consulting rooms.

If the test shows a substance is still in the players system, a doctor will take steps to prevent a player from taking part in either training and/or an AFL match both for their own health and welfare and because having illicit substances in your system on match day may be deemed performance enhancing and a breach of the Australian Football Anti-Doping Code (depending on the substance involved).

The WADA code isn’t to prevent players having recreational drugs in their system on match day, it’s to stop them having performance enhancing drugs in their system on match day, or for drugs such as clenbuterol which helps with muscle building, endurance and recovery, having it in your system at all. WADA couldn’t give a * about recreational drugs providing they aren’t considered performance enhancing on match day.

As for subverting the WADA code, it’s not stopping players from having drugs in their system on match day, it’s stopping players with drugs in their system having a match day. It’s not going to deter drug use at all. You’ve got it backwards.

I dont know much about drugs. Actually, I only know what I read. However, it seems that some recreational drugs are banned on match day testing.

Regarding cocaine, this is the period where detection results in a ban

WHAT IS THE ‘IN-COMPETITION’ PERIOD?​

The In-Competition period commences at 11.59pm the night before a competition in which an athlete is scheduled to compete, through to the end of that competition and any sample collection process undertaken.

My understanding is that there are two drug programs - one for recreational drugs and one for performance.

However some recreational drugs are considered performance enhancing drugs when tested on match day, but not during the week.

I must admit, I cant understand how a person is going to clear their system of cocaine taken on friday night before midnight when they are playing saturday night. Drink a lot of water?

I must admit, I cant understand how a person is going to clear their system of cocaine taken on friday night before midnight when they are playing saturday night. Drink a lot of water?
They're not. That person shouldn't play. They'll get done if tested. But the point of the testing is that cocaine might still show up in your urine 3 or 4 days after taking it. So a midweek line of coke can cost you a 4 year ban. Or it can be gone and you're free to play under the WADA code.

My understanding is that there are two drug programs - one for recreational drugs and one for performance.

However some recreational drugs are considered performance enhancing drugs when tested on match day, but not during the week.

For somebody who doesn’t know a lot you sort of nailed it. Not sure if drinking water helps but getting tested privately then taking the doctors recommendation to fake an injury seems to…

Assume if they are taking it on a Friday night though they have already faked an injury in advance! Nobody would be that stupid. Except maybe Clayton Oliver

For somebody who doesn’t know a lot you sort of nailed it. Not sure if drinking water helps but getting tested privately then taking the doctors recommendation to fake an injury seems to…

Assume if they are taking it on a Friday night though they have already faked an injury in advance! Nobody would be that stupid. Except maybe Clayton Oliver

IMG_0933.jpeg

Yeh I can see that strategy as being a good one. Well i've never taken drugs and I wouldnt know about how long they stay in the system. It seems a bit sad to me that footballers have to take drugs anyway to have fun. I can understand people with issues taking drugs to escape them but geez, the issues will be there in the morning. Doesnt anyone realise that? Anyway, that's people's personal thing.

I had a laugh when that MP said that AFL drug use might be affecting AFL punters' gambling.....lol.

Yeh I can see that strategy as being a good one. Well i've never taken drugs and I wouldnt know about how long they stay in the system. It seems a bit sad to me that footballers have to take drugs anyway to have fun. I can understand people with issues taking drugs to escape them but geez, the issues will be there in the morning. Doesnt anyone realise that? Anyway, that's people's personal thing.

I had a laugh when that MP said that AFL drug use might be affecting AFL punters' gambling.....lol.
The real disgrace of footballers talking drugs is that their demand pushes up the price of cocaine for those who need it to escape the drudgery of 9-5.

The real disgrace of footballers talking drugs is that their demand pushes up the price of cocaine for those who need it to escape the drudgery of 9-5.

well that sounds logical....although the whole idea of taking drugs to escape or enhance seems a little short-sighted to me ...

it seems to me that a lot of people do a lot of stupid things because other people are doing those stupid things.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well that sounds logical....although the whole idea of taking drugs to escape or enhance seems a little short-sighted to me ...

it seems to me that a lot of people do a lot of stupid things because other people are doing those stupid things.
And some say the same about drinking alcohol or eating meat and others say it about not consuming those pleasures.

And some say the same about drinking alcohol or eating meat and others say it about not consuming those pleasures.

well that is true....and i used to drink a lot more alcohol when i was younger to fit in. But actually a red wine is good for your health. I dont know if a little drugs is good for a healthy body.

As for meat eating, we've done it for millenia although on a less regular basis, so there is some point to that argument.

However, if drugs is a pleasure for you SR then go ahead but dont ask me for sympathy or funding at some time in the future.

well that is true....and i used to drink a lot more alcohol when i was younger to fit in. But actually a red wine is good for your health. I dont know if a little drugs is good for a healthy body.

As for meat eating, we've done it for millenia although on a less regular basis, so there is some point to that argument.

However, if drugs is a pleasure for you SR then go ahead but dont ask me for sympathy or funding at some time in the future.
I'll ask for it now then. Got a fifty?

Don't partake anymore. But can't really imagine never having given it a go - even if just out of curiosity.

I'll ask for it now then. Got a fifty?

Don't partake anymore. But can't really imagine never having given it a go - even if just out of curiosity.

I havent experience egypt. I do regret it. I've never had a regret about not taking drugs. Someone gave me a puff many years ago. Does that count?

Christians abstain from sex for a certain length of time, although they never seems to end up being successful at it because they're thinking about it all the time. If you think about drugs a lot, I suppose you need to take them.

I liked where dad said that the AFL was responsible for his son's drug use...absolve yourself shaun.. and if he knew about it, he'd get the kid play baseball....lol....obviously shaun landed on his head too many times.

If he didn’t blame the AFL he’d have to blame his sons parents.

I havent experience egypt. I do regret it. I've never had a regret about not taking drugs. Someone gave me a puff many years ago. Does that count?

Christians abstain from sex for a certain length of time, although they never seems to end up being successful at it because they're thinking about it all the time. If you think about drugs a lot, I suppose you need to take them.
Clinton set the bar a few years ago - did you inhale? or was that swallow? I'm getting his scandals confused.

I inhaled second hand hooch at a UB40 gig

I'm struggling to see why you think I've got it backwards.

It's not trying to deter drug use outside of match day. Like you said - they're not interested in that. It's trying to stop athletes competing whilst on match day banned recreational drugs. Full stop. It's what both WADA match day testing and this testing is doing - trying to stop athletes competing whilst they've got match day banned drugs in their system. It fits really well with WADA's policy.
You’ve got it backwards because earlier you posted this;

Catching people isn't the purpose - the WADA code and the testing is to try to stop athletes using prohibited drugs.
I can tell you that catching people and punishing them is very much part of WADA’s modus operandi, otherwise they wouldn’t be turning up on doorsteps unannounced, they would only test immediately prior to competition, and they wouldn’t be testing for things like clenbuterol out of season. They do this because they lack the resources to test everyone; so random testing with heavy penalties to act as a deterrent.

At odds with that is the AFL’s position; they don’t want to catch anybody, they don’t want anyone to test positive. So when they hold a player with cocaine in his system out of competition it’s good for the player, it keeps the league from being exposed to negative press, but it subverts WADA’s process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back