Other Ways To Watch AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

So ive got a free AFL subscription till May. So im simply going to use my phone and have bought some MHL cord thing which basically mirrors my phone onto the smart tv. Then i think im going to go Telstra mobile so i have the rest of the AFL season after that and do the same with MHL cord.

Just confirming that it indeed does work using a VPN and the good thing is it plays on your computer as opposed to the AFL live pass which only works on your mobile/tablet meaning I can mirror to the TV to watch tonights game :) GO PIES!

So if you get an AFL live pass there is no way of watching it on your laptop?

It's crap that in 2017 Foxtel and the AFL are making it so hard to do what should be a basic option.

It's obviously all about forcing you towards getting a Foxtel television subscription.

Foxtel play is available on your PC isn't it?

It's much more expensive and I take it from reading a few sites not all games are telecast on it which again is a deliberate action.

I've never used a VPN service and while I understand the basic principles of them I'm somewhat surprised that when it comes to signing up for an AFL global pass Foxtel or the AFL haven't banned anyone entering credit card details with an Australian address or figuring out a way to unmask the real ip address on validation of your card.

It's crap that in 2017 Foxtel and the AFL are making it so hard to do what should be a basic option.

It's obviously all about forcing you towards getting a Foxtel television subscription.

Foxtel play is available on your PC isn't it?

It's much more expensive and I take it from reading a few sites not all games are telecast on it which again is a deliberate action.

I've never used a VPN service and while I understand the basic principles of them I'm somewhat surprised that when it comes to signing up for an AFL global pass Foxtel or the AFL haven't banned anyone entering credit card details with an Australian address or figuring out a way to unmask the real ip address on validation of your card.

Foxtel now have rights as of this year with Telstra for streaming games.

So on your PC you can download the Foxtel Go app and use that to stream games to your TV. last year this wasn't possible as they were blacked out, however 2017 on wards it has changed.

If you know someone or a family member with a Foxtel account, Foxtel go comes free of charge for 5 additional devices.

Last night the game was streamed in Standard Def through the App, however i read a tweet from someone in Foxtel that they are aiming to stream HD telecasts to the Foxtel go app by round 1.

I trialled this last night, all worked fine.

There is a way.

Download a program called Kodi. It's an open source program commonly used for watching movies and tv shows.

There is an add on for it for AFL video. You can put your Telstra details into it. Once you do that you can watch the live matches through it.

You can then plug that into your TV if you are able to. Or, you could buy a cheap Android box with Kodi on it and do the same thing.

I watched it that way last night.

Foxtel now have rights as of this year with Telstra for streaming games.

So on your PC you can download the Foxtel Go app and use that to stream games to your TV. last year this wasn't possible as they were blacked out, however 2017 on wards it has changed.

If you know someone or a family member with a Foxtel account, Foxtel go comes free of charge for 5 additional devices.

Last night the game was streamed in Standard Def through the App, however i read a tweet from someone in Foxtel that they are aiming to stream HD telecasts to the Foxtel go app by round 1.

I trialled this last night, all worked fine.

Thanks for your reply.

I believe you need a Foxtel subscription to take advantage of that like you've alluded to.

Foxtel play is something different again I believe.

I don't want a Foxtel subscription but I'm interested in the best alternative to watch our games not on FTA.

The AFL live pass would be perfect as you can just buy if for the weeks you want but not being able to stream via your laptop is frustrating and one hopes this will finally be rectified come the next round of television rights.

I might have to get a cheap android tablet till then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a way.

Download a program called Kodi. It's an open source program commonly used for watching movies and tv shows.

There is an add on for it for AFL video. You can put your Telstra details into it. Once you do that you can watch the live matches through it.

You can then plug that into your TV if you are able to. Or, you could buy a cheap Android box with Kodi on it and do the same thing.

I watched it that way last night.
Do you have to be a Telstra customer to use Kodi?

Do you have to be a Telstra customer to use Kodi?

Not to use Kodi. Kodi itself does much more (you can find addons to stream movies and tv shows for instance). There are even ways to get dodgy footy streams through it using some of the sports add ons.

The live matches on the AFL video add on will require a Telstra login. But it also has the replays on it, which don't require the Live Pass login (at this point). I prefer this add on because the quality is a bit better than the dodgy streams in some of the sports add ons.

Thanks for your reply.

I believe you need a Foxtel subscription to take advantage of that like you've alluded to.

Foxtel play is something different again I believe.

I don't want a Foxtel subscription but I'm interested in the best alternative to watch our games not on FTA.

The AFL live pass would be perfect as you can just buy if for the weeks you want but not being able to stream via your laptop is frustrating and one hopes this will finally be rectified come the next round of television rights.

I might have to get a cheap android tablet till then.
You are correct. My parents have a Foxtel subscription at their house so i use theirs to provide the stream to mine.

Previously i have used the AFL live app to stream the product for free as my work phone is run through Telstra and the data is unmetered, hence they dont know the difference.

A cheap alternative is if you have a tablet or phone i believe you can get a $2 prepaid sim through Telstra and use that for your free yearly AFL live subscription. As the data is unmetered, it shouldn't cost you anymore.

You can then go down the path of having a jailbroken AFL app to stream to the TV through apple TV if you like, but thats another process in itself.

We used to climb over the wall at Waverley park... something to consider. Probably less exciting now as you'll only see the Hawks training...

Not to use Kodi. Kodi itself does much more (you can find addons to stream movies and tv shows for instance). There are even ways to get dodgy footy streams through it using some of the sports add ons.

The live matches on the AFL video add on will require a Telstra login. But it also has the replays on it, which don't require the Live Pass login (at this point). I prefer this add on because the quality is a bit better than the dodgy streams in some of the sports add ons.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not a Telstra customer but I see you don't have to be to get an AFL live pass now you just have to setup a Telstra ID (whatever that is).

I naturally assume one can just stream the matches via ones internet connection and not have to use mobile data?

Does Kodi only require this Telstra ID or do you need to be a Telstra customer?

Thanks for the info.

I'm not a Telstra customer but I see you don't have to be to get an AFL live pass now you just have to setup a Telstra ID (whatever that is).

I naturally assume one can just stream the matches via ones internet connection and not have to use mobile data?

Does Kodi only require this Telstra ID or do you need to be a Telstra customer?

Its the Telstra account associated with a live pass.

Let me make it clear, Kodi is much more than just this. It does many other things. It's software for media centres. But a specific afl video add on has been made which allows you to watch. It will just use your home internet data.

Its the Telstra account associated with a live pass.

Let me make it clear, Kodi is much more than just this. It does many other things. It's software for media centres. But a specific afl video add on has been made which allows you to watch. It will just use your home internet data.

Thanks!

I'll have to look into it.

Used the watchafl live stream on my PC from here in Dubai and worked a treat. Also watched the replay on the app on iPhone and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an old Samsung tablet with which I can connect via HDMI to my TV. I use the Telstra app on the tablet which feeds to the TV via the HDMI....can't do it with new ones but the old ones you can...can pick them up on ebay for under $100.

Looks like I won't be watching much AFL this season.

Last year I feasted on the AFL.com free match replays.

Having no interest in paying for Foxtel or a lackluster Live Pass service my games viewed count is going to plummet.

--
As an aside, is there a Collingwood v Essendon preseason 1 replay circulating? From what I recall one of the posters on here posted each game into a bigfooty thread. If someone such a link has been posted for the first preseason game, I'd love to see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back