Toast Otten and CEY sign one year contract extensions

Remove this Banner Ad

If Ellis-Slowman or Otten play more than a handful of games in 2019 then we are in trouble. Neither would get a game anywhere else. This was a poor decision in my opinion.

If Ellis-Slowman or Otten play more than a handful of games in 2019 then we are in trouble. Neither would get a game anywhere else. This was a poor decision in my opinion.
There's a big part of a list, and that's off-field in the locker room .....both these blokes are great clubmen and well liked .....yes a large part of the decision to re-contract them was football and list structure ....but an element was also the chemistry within the group

If either play next year then its the clubs fault for not giving Burton the boot already. But if we do get Burtoned then I am very happy to have these guys to call up. You don't lose much calling up Otten. CEY is a really good inside mid to have on the list. He is slow, but Greenwood and Matt Crouch aren't quick. Only thing is, what is the point of Poholke. He must be bloody glad we didn't sack Burton at this point.

Dont mind either signing TBH.

Both are depth only, particularly Otten but as has been mentioned the club needs depth and in CEY we have a guy who has shown hes capable of playing decent AFL footy when hes been required, and Otten is a good bloke for our kids to learn off.

I guess a lot of people would agree with you but I think his role as a swingman makes him more valuable. Simply he fills gaps and with the departure of our other Swingman to Carlton it made sense to offer him 12 months.

As long as he's only covering for JJ or Tex. When we tried him as cover for the mobile McGovern we're way too slow and it results in us getting burned out of our 50 and then through the arcs. Happy for him to get a role at either end of the ground as long as it's covering for a KPP.

I like them both - underrated depth players. These guys are just as important as the regular 22 in terms of contribution, but with less fanfare. Particularly so if injuries were to occur.

We can’t have 30 AFL stars in our team. Otherwise, we would undoubtedly breech the salary cap!

So these guys are as important as Sloane, Talia, Crouch, Smith? I wonder if their contracts represent that equality of importance.

I think I'd have preferred Cheney to be re-signed ahead of either of these two. Both are handy fill-ins at times, but I think Cheney should be in the 22 ahead of Kelly on 2018 form.

Agree, except we'll probably get a few years of Kelly at a level not too far behind Cheney. I'd prefer Cheney down back because he can play undersized KPD as well as on mediums and smalls. But I don't think they've got him as an option for backup KPF or pinch hit ruck, so he wins on that basis. He may yet get another year if Kelly ends up moving on.

So these guys are as important as Sloane, Talia, Crouch, Smith? I wonder if their contracts represent that equality of importance.
Of course not as important in terms of overall on-field contribution. But in the view of a team winning a flag, the fillers on the fringe are very just as important. Everyone needs to be performing and doing their part.

Otten in particular, has done a very admirable job at either end of the ground. A very underrated versatile player despite a relative lack of pace.

There are some players you just go out of the way to do the right thing, and Otten is one of them,
He a team Player and Leader, And a very handy back up on the field who can still play the game.
He is handy depth who will provide good leadership to youngsters in our sanfl team.

Im happy with the CEY signing but Otten??...really?
Cheney, whilst shorter, is a heaps better option.

Otten is a KP, Cheney isn't.

Better player or not, Otten is depth for more positions then Cheney is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course not as important in terms of overall on-field contribution. But in the view of a team winning a flag, the fillers on the fringe are very just as important. Everyone needs to be performing and doing their part.

Otten in particular, has done a very admirable job at either end of the ground. A very underrated versatile player despite a relative lack of pace.

You posted that they were, "just as important".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back