Opinion Our best three players

Remove this Banner Ad

No it really isn’t , I believe he is important, talented but whilst his past fortnight has been exceptional he has not done that long enough to be considered a superstar.

I don’t think he has consistently played at a grade level either he has shown that is his ceiling but considering superstars are players like Oliver, Neale, Martin. I mean how many games has he truly taken apart ?
his 2021 was genuinely excellent mate and capped off with the Syd Barker medal. The only player his age or younger that was ahead in all the significant statistical markers for mids was Sam Walsh

As was his first 8 weeks or so of 2020 until he had that annoying injury that stopped his form (i cant remember exactly what it was). I actually remember looking at the time and the only other player who was also in the top handful in possessions, contested footy, uncontested footy, clearances, i50s across that period was Lachie Neale, who won the brownlow that year.

yes, inconsistent this year, I agree, but you're massively underselling his form prior to that.

and as far as games he's taken apart, i can think of like 5 off the top of my head without even that much work - the weekend, two weeks ago, hawthorn last year, saints in tassie, pies the week before in 2019, which was arguably his proper breakout game,

I'll leave this one open as some great discussion.

I might reflect on my top 3 also

his 2021 was genuinely excellent mate and capped off with the Syd Barker medal. The only player his age or younger that was ahead in all the significant statistical markers for mids was Sam Walsh

As was his first 8 weeks or so of 2020 until he had that annoying injury that stopped his form (i cant remember exactly what it was). I actually remember looking at the time and the only other player who was also in the top handful in possessions, contested footy, uncontested footy, clearances, i50s across that period was Lachie Neale, who won the brownlow that year.

yes, inconsistent this year, I agree, but you're massively underselling his form prior to that.

and as far as games he's taken apart, i can think of like 5 off the top of my head without even that much work - the weekend, two weeks ago, hawthorn last year, saints in tassie, pies the week before in 2019, which was arguably his proper breakout game,
Look I disagree, in terms of considering him a superstar, I don’t think it’s underrating him to say it. He’s an important player, and it’s important to us that he plays well but I’m not quite there at superstar that’s all.

I think generally we overrate our own and the proof is our results. We have heaps of high ceilings but none are quite consistently there yet, it’s not Impossible this time next yr Jy and others hit that Level but right now not quite

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems more incoming which is great so if haven't voted yet feel free to as i'll tally tomorrow or when it dries up as I know people log in at different times and days etc, and all good.

1. Cunnington
2. LDU
3. Mckay

Now tazaa the one rule I made which you have broken is very clear, the great man is unavailable as I believe he would be in 90% plus of supporters best player!

Can you please amend or i'll just count your other two mate. Doing the three without Cunners in there makes it harder for mine.

Now tazaa the one rule I made which you have broken is very clear, the great man is unavailable as I believe he would be in 90% plus of supporters best player!

Can you please amend or i'll just count your other two mate. Doing the three without Cunners in there makes it harder for mine.
1.LDU
2. McKay
3. Larkey

Some really different perspectives on here about our best 3 (outside Cunners), I thought that may be the case so I'm glad I asked the question I guess.

Thank you to everyone again for your input into this thread.

MLC

the problem i have with this type of thinking, and a lot of the criticism of jy, is that a shitload of recency bias comes into it. i can accept that he's been inconsistent this season, while still putting in some elite performances, but his 2021 was genuinely A grade from start to finish.

i cant cop having people having LDU ahead of him when Luke has only done it for 6-8 weeks and at the same age where Jy put in that consistent A-grade season. people forget that Jy's only a year older and was better at the same age. edit: and on this, if I'm not mistaken (and I might be but i think this is right) it's worth noting that despite everyone's adamance that LDU is so much better, Jy still has more coaches votes this from the people who know better than most (also completely disregard this if incorrect)

Like i said earlier though, i expect LDU to be not only our best player but one of the league's best mids this time next year.

if this year and particularly last year's version of Jy Simpkin is our 5th best player in 2-3 years time, then we are absolutely ******* laughing, but i doubt that because I genuinely believe he's not the finished product yet himself
The difference as I see it is that LDU is more explosive from the stoppages and has more hurt factor with his kicking. Jy accumulates well (and when he has his confidence up is great with the evasive side steps), but from a team perspective it seems better when he handballs.

The difference as I see it is that LDU is more explosive from the stoppages and has more hurt factor with his kicking. Jy accumulates well (and when he has his confidence up is great with the evasive side steps), but from a team perspective it seems better when he handballs.
Yeah i kind of see it the same way, but the two of them compliment each other. Since Noble left Jy has seemed alot freer in his approach and that makes a big difference to how he plays.

1. LDU
2. Jy
3. McKay

Hon. mention to Goldy, who'd probably poll better if he knew how to handball with his opposite hand (if you watch him, he always positions himself so he can handball with his left, which can cost us on the counter and shits me more than it should), and Cam Z

Sorry all and I will tally up asap as been out of action for a few days.

Thank you for the replies.

MLC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back