Prediction Our side round 1, 2020...?

Remove this Banner Ad

My intel is that CEY was specifically recruited to look after our smaller mids who are copping a battering in most games. If Dan is going to be one of our ongoing key forwars, he simply needs to impact the game more.
Like others I see Dan as a 30 goal forward if he kicks straight so he really needs to be impacting the game in the areas where he can use his powerful body and athleticism to create opportunities for other, consistently.

The word is that Lachie got battered from pillar to post last year and it was only his heart that got him out there for some games so we're really looking for CEY to do some of the hard bullocking work that fell on Lachie because he couldn't help himself . A fully fit Berry should complement that situation. Perhaps even Rayner.

Just on Eric Hipwood - A couple of years ago he kicked 30 goals 16 behinds
This year he kicked 35 goals 29.
If he could get his accuracy back from 2017 he could easily kick 45 this year.
His inaccuracy in the first quarter of the Dogs game in Ballarat really hurt us. Off the top of my head missed like 3 or 4 shots in the first quarter when we were hot.

But then he’s won the first Port game and the Demons game for us off his own boot.

Love the big fella and hope he’s able to tidy up a little bit.

Wooller played some monster games in the NEAFL this year. Runs hard and racks up plenty of the footy. I see him playing as a link up forward in the mould of Tom Lynch (Crows)
Full Forward Round 1 please.

Won’t happen but wooler would probably offer a lot more then mcstay . You could use hipwood out of the goal sauté where his elite pace over 20 metres would cause separation between he and his opponent . Otherwise big o could bang and crash packs and then use Wooler up as a link . As I said won’t Happen but if Mcstay doesn’t provide enough in first month they need to look for more alternatives . Who knows adding a wooler or ballendean May make us even more potent .

Mcstays goal kicking is a dead set liability . Hopefully will improve but never seen a bloke who misses as many shots 30 metres out then him. If he kicked to the afl average he shiukd
He a 30-40 goal player .

People who are picking over Eric and McStay's goal tallies arent seeing the forest for the trees. We were the highest scoring team in the comp last year.
stays

Won’t happen but wooler would probably offer a lot more then mcstay . You could use hipwood out of the goal sauté where his elite pace over 20 metres would cause separation between he and his opponent . Otherwise big o could bang and crash packs and then use Wooler up as a link . As I said won’t Happen but if Mcstay doesn’t provide enough in first month they need to look for more alternatives . Who knows adding a wooler or ballendean May make us even more potent .
I totally agree with you that McStay is the forward under the most pressure. He simply needs to kick more goals.Other than that he does everything right. When he marks the ball he hand balls immediately to any player running past. I don’t know how many goals they have achieved from this tactic but I am sure the hierarchy and the players would prefer for a key forward to mark and kick a goal rather than palming it off. We are fortunate that we have a few alternatives to try as key forwards this year these being Ballenden, Wooler, Skinner and Fullarton. To me Ballenden is more a ruck/forward and Wooler and Skinner being a more traditional up the ground forwards. I also really like Fullarton if he doesn’t mark the ball he always contests at ground level his hand balling is elite probably due to his basketball background. If Fullarton plays in the side he is more a deep forward which allows Hipwood to play up the ground. I also thinks Adams can play as a forward due his elite marking and running ability. For the moment Adams will play as a key back but eventually I would like to see Payne play full back due to his size, height, speed and kicking ability. Adams is a bit short to play on the monster forwards

I totally agree with you that McStay is the forward under the most pressure. He simply needs to kick more goals.Other than that he does everything right. When he marks the ball he hand balls immediately to any player running past. I don’t know how many goals they have achieved from this tactic but I am sure the hierarchy and the players would prefer for a key forward to mark and kick a goal rather than palming it off. We are fortunate that we have a few alternatives to try as key forwards this year these being Ballenden, Wooler, Skinner and Fullarton. To me Ballenden is more a ruck/forward and Wooler and Skinner being a more traditional up the ground forwards. I also really like Fullarton if he doesn’t mark the ball he always contests at ground level his hand balling is elite probably due to his basketball background. If Fullarton plays in the side he is more a deep forward which allows Hipwood to play up the ground. I also thinks Adams can play as a forward due his elite marking and running ability. For the moment Adams will play as a key back but eventually I would like to see Payne play full back due to his size, height, speed and kicking ability. Adams is a bit short to play on the monster forwards
Dan just needs to maximise his opportunities in front of goal.

If team was being picked tomorrow I’d be going with this . Based on skinners impressuve form in 2nd simulation have him and Mcstay providing relief in Ruck for Martin . Big o mobility bit of hiderence at times . Also think this allows us to be more attacking aswell .

Gardiner Andrews ah chee
Rich. Adams. Birch
Clugga Berry. Robbo
Charlie. Hippy Rayner
Zorko Mcstay Skinner

Martin , Neale , Lyons

Bench - McCarthy , CEY , answorth , Bailey

Other options - big o , starcevich , Payne , witherdon. .

If team was being picked tomorrow I’d be going with this . Based on skinners impressuve form in 2nd simulation have him and Mcstay providing relief in Ruck for Martin . Big o mobility bit of hiderence at times . Also think this allows us to be more attacking aswell .

Gardiner Andrews ah chee
Rich. Adams. Birch
Clugga Berry. Robbo
Charlie. Hippy Rayner
Zorko Mcstay Skinner

Martin , Neale , Lyons

Bench - McCarthy , CEY , answorth , Bailey

Other options - big o , starcevich , Payne , witherdon. .

Looks like a good strong team - just can’t see Witherden missing out on a round 1 birth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if the change to the ruck setup in opposes sessions is just a bit of off-season experimentation (like playing Andrews forward last year) or if it is a likely new strategy. As much as it worked last year, I’ve never really liked how tall we set up playing both Oscar and Stef. I don’t see either as a genuine forward and I think you lose a lot of flexibility in other roles when you play both.

If someone can pop up as a genuine forward who can ruck a bit, I think we become much more dangerous. I think it frees Hippy up if the opposition knows there are two other tall forwards to worry about.

If we decide to play only one ruck, it becomes a fascinating conversation. The two rucks have different skill sets. Martin’s “extra mid” advantage becomes less important with a more dominant midfield set up but he still does a power of work around the ground. Meanwhile, Oscar is probably a better tap ruckman and has that capacity to take a pack mark when he floats forward.

I still think we’ll start with both Oscar and Stef in the 22 and that we’re just trying the one ruck strategy on for size right now (and perhaps as contingency planning for an injury):

Can’t see witherdon getting picked ahead of either ah chee or birch if they are both fit come round 1 . Birch has experience a lethal left and is has still probably got more leg speed then witho while ah chee is the leg speed we desperately need out of defence . With rich it gives us 2 beautiful Left kicks out of defence and pace and carry. Of course I wouldn’t no slightest what fagan is thinking but I think ah chees pace and long kicking gives us an extra point of differcne also gives more flexibility on quicker players . Answorth also very quick and was excellent last season so another year from him he improves again.

Can’t see witherdon getting picked ahead of either ah chee or birch if they are both fit come round 1 . Birch has experience a lethal left and is has still probably got more leg speed then witho while ah chee is the leg speed we desperately need out of defence . With rich it gives us 2 beautiful Left kicks out of defence and pace and carry. Of course I wouldn’t no slightest what fagan is thinking but I think ah chees pace and long kicking gives us an extra point of differcne also gives more flexibility on quicker players . Answorth also very quick and was excellent last season so another year from him he improves again.

Interesting, I just can’t see Witherdon missing the round 1 team. Achee I thanks plays, but can’t see Birchall first up.
Answorth and Witherdon both deserve first shot. They’ve earned it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The latest video from the lions shows the backs as Andrews, Eagles, Ah Chee, Gardiner, Birchall, Witherden and Rich.

The media has reported match sims as probables v possibles. Given the selection mix for both teams across match sims thus far, I just don’t see it as probables and possibles just two teams with a mix of both.

Interesting, I just can’t see Witherdon missing the round 1 team. Achee I thanks plays, but can’t see Birchall first up.
Answorth and Witherdon both deserve first shot. They’ve earned it.

If Birch is fit he'll play round 1. I can see Answorth starting in the 2s. Missed the match Sim due to injury and is up against some very good defenders. If he has a year wish slightly less game time it won't effect his development much, especially with a mentor like Grant.

Witherden took less marks last year even though that's one area he was looking to develop during the preseason. I wonder if ah chee and witho duke it out for a spot as ah Chee is strong in that area as well as the other aspects at hb. I know Witho running has been a focus but ah Chee might just get in front.

Witherden took less marks last year even though that's one area he was looking to develop during the preseason. I wonder if ah chee and witho duke it out for a spot as ah Chee is strong in that area as well as the other aspects at hb. I know Witho running has been a focus but ah Chee might just get in front.

Ah Chee is best 22. If he gets pushed off HB, he could easily play wing or HF. Loads of talent and is very fit.

If Birch is fit he'll play round 1. I can see Answorth starting in the 2s. Missed the match Sim due to injury and is up against some very good defenders. If he has a year wish slightly less game time it won't effect his development much, especially with a mentor like Grant.
I agree, as unlucky as it sounds, I think it’s more than likely Answerth that misses out if both AhChee and Birch are fit.
Unless if the coaching staff think he can also move further up the ground and push someone like Bailey out of the team.

I agree, as unlucky as it sounds, I think it’s more than likely Answerth that misses out if both AhChee and Birch are fit.
Unless if the coaching staff think he can also move further up the ground and push someone like Bailey out of the team.

Answorh did rotate onto the wing in the final v GWS.

Come to think of it, we've got heaps of versatile players on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back