Our trend of players falling off a cliff once they hit 30...

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know why the club don't charter a plane, or buy a plane, hollow it out and fill it with beds, massage chairs and let the players stand, sit, lay down, whatever they want.

I don't know why the club don't charter a plane, or buy a plane, hollow it out and fill it with beds, massage chairs and let the players stand, sit, lay down, whatever they want.
AFL have a massive contract with virgin.

Our club is well off. However Its not pimped out private jet rich.

I think you underestimate how much something like that would cost

Our club is well off. However Its not pimped out private jet rich.

I think you underestimate how much something like that would cost
I think you would find leasing/chartering a plane wouldn't be that expensive. I'm not talking pumped out interior, im talking about comfort for the players which surely could be achieved on some form of budget. Even if cost an extra million a year, surely it would be worth it.

get virgin to run it or something. This is our single biggest disadvantage and we have done nothing to significantly improve our travel burden
The strange thing is Pavlich would have done the same amount of travelling, and he has gone okay. I guess there's a bit if luck involved. Always thought Ben was going to be our first 300 gamer, but not to be!!

The strange thing is Pavlich would have done the same amount of travelling, and he has gone okay. I guess there's a bit if luck involved. Always thought Ben was going to be our first 300 gamer, but not to be!!
but Pav is the only one and is a genuine superstar. That said he never had any competition to really challenge him

Look at the guys around the league who are running around playing top footy age 32+.

They are mostly champions.

There are a few exceptions but guys like Nick Reiwoldt are the exception rather than the rule.

They can't all be champions so plenty of them drop off once they hit 30, have peaked and aren't as good as they once were.

Look at the guys around the league who are running around playing top footy age 32+.

They are mostly champions.

There are a few exceptions but guys like Nick Reiwoldt are the exception rather than the rule.

They can't all be champions so plenty of them drop off once they hit 30, have peaked and aren't as good as they once were.
This. Playing past 32 is the exception, not the rule

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The WA teams need to push the AFL for the private flight AND for an additional allowance in the cap to account for the extra travel time the players are exposed to - travel time should be paid time and they are effectively working longer hours than the rest of the comp.

I don't think it's that bad. A lot more teams in Victoria so obviously more from there.

Heaps of over 30s in interstate teams and don't tell me being on a plane an extra hour and half is that straineous. Things have improved in that area since
Jako days.

Personally think it's in part because players can't be bothered travelling anymore due to having kids. So they naturally mentally drop off.

I get that the Petries, Riewoldts and the like are rare, but with our guys it's like they lost all footballing ability over the off season.

hes starting to really slow down. i dont think he will be at the club beyond the end of next year

You can tell?

Slow down as in get to as many contests then ok. I can see that.

Boy when he finishes, there will b some happy ppl

I think we have to take into consideration a clubs list and position in certain circumstances (Pav). If NN wasn't around and when Cox retired we were in a perceived premiership window then you'd be able to argue that the club would have nudged Cox into another year possibly even two. Pav for example has had little to no competition and no one to take his place.

Could say the same about Glass if Eric wasn't at the club and playing well.

Taking nothing away from Pav tho. Just about the only Docker I wish had played for west coast

I think we have to take into consideration a clubs list and position in certain circumstances (Pav). If NN wasn't around and when Cox retired we were in a perceived premiership window then you'd be able to argue that the club would have nudged Cox into another year possibly even two. Pav for example has had little to no competition and no one to take his place.

Could say the same about Glass if Eric wasn't at the club and playing well.

Taking nothing away from Pav tho. Just about the only Docker I wish had played for west coast
That's true. You look at Johnson and realistically he is finished. So many injuries but he is going around again next year. We could have pushed our guys longer but we didn't have to.

You can tell?

Slow down as in get to as many contests then ok. I can see that.

Boy when he finishes, there will b some happy ppl

so you think being on the wrong side of 30 hes gonna be fast and influential and his disposal is going to be sublime (not that it was excellent in the first place) and continue to play for a few years yet?

hate to break it to you he doesnt have long to go there will be a kid or 2 groomed to replace him soon. and its got nothing to do with people wanting him gone, its the fact that although he has been durable he like all our midfielders will retire in a year or so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back