Patty K recruitment advice

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't get the 'winning' part in PKs perspective. Sure we weren't top 8, but we had 10 wins in 2012 and 2013. It's not like Brisbane had no future moving forward back then.

It is much more a factor now/last few years than it was during his time.

Well this is random I must admit as we haven't heard from Patty K since he left the pies.

I find it interesting that he says it's so s**t up here basically but he by memory he was more than happy to stay and sign that extra 3rd year originally which would've raised his original salary.

But who knew a simple fix to our retention issues was simply asking 'do you have a problem coming here?'.

Brisbane must change way to retain stars, says ex-Lion Patrick Karnezis
LIAM PHILLIPS, Herald Sun
23 minutes ago

A MEMBER of the Brisbane “Go Home Five” says Lions recruiters need to ask a basic pre-draft question: do you really want to come to Queensland?

Brisbane has consistently struggled to retain young stars, including Patrick Karnezis, who left for Collingwood after three years as a Lion at the end of 2013.

“If they had sat me down and asked me, ‘Do you see your future at Brisbane’, I probably would have told them no,” Karnezis said.

“Professionally as an 18-year-old I would feel like I need to say yes, but deep down I didn’t want to leave home or live in Queensland.

“I wouldn’t say Brisbane is a hard place to be, but through resources or finances, whatever it is, it’s a tough situation if the club isn’t playing good football.”

Karnezis left with Eagle Elliot Yeo, Blue Sam Docherty, Saint Billy Longer, and Power’s Jared Polec. Magpie James Aish and Eagle Jack Redden left in 2015, but not to their home state.

Now Brisbane is wrestling with the future of young forward Josh Schache, who is on a two-week personal break at home in Seymour.

Karnezis, who retired in 2015, said the Lions did not acknowledge the true effect homesickness can have on a teenager who has moved across the country.

“They were going off the theory of Simon Black and Luke Power being homesick, and look what they became,” he said.

Karnezis said if the Lions had been more flexible, things would have been better.

“If they gave me the chance to go home for one or two days a month it definitely would have helped me adjust, refresh, and still feel connected to home and feel good about myself,” he said.

“These days being homesick requires an arm around the shoulder, feeling down needs to be spoken about.

“It’s not like 10 years ago where you’re classified as ‘soft’ for feeling down and struggling with your performance … to play and perform in football you have to worry about other things that factor in your life.”

89efe76f4c20e2083a55795d727d352a

Karnezis said from afar it appeared that Brisbane was improving in its work to make the club feel like home to all new players.

Of course, one thing above all else is likely to inspire kids to stay — winning.

“If your team is playing well, and you can slot into that team and can play good football, the whole dynamic just changes,” he said.

“When you’re playing well, and you’re a bit successful, you start to feel better about yourself.”

Quote from the article.

Brisbane has consistently struggled to retain young stars, including Patrick Karnezis.

Great to see Karnezis is a star. Great article. Last time I checked, he retired based on the fact he couldnt get a game, but his a star.

This article is a load of retrospective crap and I enjoyed his brother's rant more.
Oddball article.
Retro is right. Aside from the references to Schache, it might well have been written 3 years ago. Aside from winning, as far as I can see, much of his concern has been addressed. A more professional approach to welfare and a raft of changes to management, coaching and culture. Unless he is still in touch with a current player, he'd have no idea of the changes made nor needed.
In regard to asking players if they want to come to Brisbane, aside from the contradiction that an 18 year old would feel obliged to say "yes", I'd be gobsmacked* if that question doesn't come up despite its unlikeliness to get an honest answer.

*Flabbergasted even.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree and while it is one player every couple of years the AFl can ignore it. If we dozens are doing it then the AFL can't.

It's not new. Des Headland turned up to his draft interview with us in a freo shirt.

On HTC 2PS6200 using BigFooty.com mobile app
And he had an over inflated sense of self worth too!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

He seems completely oblivious to what it takes to make it as a league footballer. Sits there years after and lists the club's short comings, offering no unique insights and brings up a number of issues that have since been addressed.
He's got one thing right though. He should be used as a cautionary tale. Given Brisbane's current list and ladder position, he'd have had ample opportunity to prove himself as a league player and could in all likelihood, still be an AFL footballer, had he stuck tough. Players looking to leave barely two years into a career should look how it's worked out for him.
Moral of the story. It takes more than talent to make it as an AFL footballer. If you're unwilling to leave your home state and mum's spaghetti, go talk to Coburg and enjoy the VFL because you're not going to have a long career as an AFL player.

Our recruitment pool would literally be QLD, Tasmania and NT. Thats it.

We would still get plenty of people saying it is fine to pick me ... every single one of them who is worried about whether they will get picked at all in fact.

Unfortunately it is the ones who *know* they will find a good AFL home even if they blow off two or four clubs - the elite type talent - those are the ones who will say 'no' and feel completely justified in doing so.

In a previous life I used to accredit managers in a recruiting process-pretty sure asking "do you want to" doesn't really tell you much, but thanks anyway Patty for that valuable gen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back