Paul Roos to Melbourne Football Club ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He deserted Fitzroy before they folded. Why would he care?

That's what I'm trying to find out.

Everyone keeps saying Brisbane makes sense. I don't get it. He never played for Brisbane.

They don't appear to be any closer to being good than Melbourne, with some big retirements coming as well (Black and Moloney will be big losses from the midfield, Brown from the forwardline).

There's no playing/coaching link I can think of either.

That's what I'm trying to find out.

Everyone keeps saying Brisbane makes sense. I don't get it. He never played for Brisbane.

I dont get the connection either never thought there was one especially. Assume its just another club hes linked with and people are assuming as its a "non Melbourne" club like the Swans it might be more appealling to him because thats what hes used to. Voss like Neeld started the season with his head on the chopping block and perhaps thats another reason for the link. Hes hardly going to be linked to teams where the coach's job is safe.

I dont get the connection either never thought there was one especially. Assume its just another club hes linked with and people are assuming as its a "non Melbourne" club like the Swans it might be more appealling to him because thats what hes used to. Voss like Neeld started the season with his head on the chopping block and perhaps thats another reason for the link. Hes hardly going to be linked to teams where the coach's job is safe.

Nah I reckon some people just think he played for Brisbane. Or they think Fitzroy people actually consider Brisbane the same club.

Paul Roos is a life member of the Brisbane Lions.
He is also a member of the Brisbane Lions Hall of Fame.

Paul Roos also stated in an Inside Sport interview in 2010 the following.

"You know if I ever live in Brisbane or Melbourne again, I'd take my boys to a Brisbane game and say 'Look this is my old club. I'll always say that. I've got two clubs - one's Sydney, the other's the Brisbane Lions.' "

http://www.insidesport.com.au/drinks-with-paul-roos/7/

melbourne should stick with craig for a while...he still has a one yr contract right? see how it unfolds next year if they get a few results at the end of this year.
roos would be good choice at carlton after mick in 1.5 years when roos is chomping at the bit to get back into coaching again and carlton has missed the finals 2 years in a row, and mick is going a bit manic in his 'old age'. no offense mick.
a better younger coach might appear at the end of 2014 instead of pursuing roos atm with a lot of cash.... craig is a good fatherly figure atm for melbourne. then they can bring in a better younger tactician later who has played the game not like neild who had no respect and no man management skills.

"You know if I ever live in Brisbane or Melbourne again, I'd take my boys to a Brisbane game and say 'Look this is my old club. I'll always say that. I've got two clubs - one's Sydney, the other's the Brisbane Lions.' "

Pretty good answer as to motivation right there.

Pretty good answer as to motivation right there.

Nah, Timmy From Thomastown said he has no attachment at all. Just drop it fellas! Case closed!

I reckon Eade would be a better prospect.

Eade took a Sydney side that was 8-14 to a grand final in his first year and got them in to the finals in 5 out of 7 years. He then took a Bulldogs side that finished 5-17 to the finals in his 2nd year and to 3 straight preliminary finals in his 4th, 5th and 6th seasons.

He did this without the concessions that Roos enjoyed.

Rodney Eade did an incredible job and I tipped the preseason as premiers in 1996 purely on the basis that they did have tony Lockett coming off 110 goals in 1995 and starting to look really unstoppable

melbourne should stick with craig for a while...he still has a one yr contract right? see how it unfolds next year if they get a few results at the end of this year.
roos would be good choice at carlton after mick in 1.5 years when roos is chomping at the bit to get back into coaching again and carlton has missed the finals 2 years in a row, and mick is going a bit manic in his 'old age'. no offense mick.
a better younger coach might appear at the end of 2014 instead of pursuing roos atm with a lot of cash.... craig is a good fatherly figure atm for melbourne. then they can bring in a better younger tactician later who has played the game not like neild who had no respect and no man management skills.

The Dees don't have another 12 months of poor results in them.

Roosy didnt desert Fitzroy!! he wanted to stay.. and he wont coach melbourne.. a rabble club with bad admin that is begging him to coach them is no good for roosy. he'll coach a club that is the right fit for him and when the timing is right because hes a LEGEND!

Has told Brisbane, he won't coach them for 'family reasons'. Won't relocate.

I still think he'll end up at Melbourne :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do people assume Roos wants to coach anyone currently? He's never stated interest in it every time he has been asked. He's achieved the ultimate as a coach, got a pretty cruise-y job ruining people's weekends commentating and works with the swans academy. Sydney is a nice place to live too.

Why do people assume Roos wants to coach anyone currently? He's never stated interest in it every time he has been asked. He's achieved the ultimate as a coach, got a pretty cruise-y job ruining people's weekends commentating and works with the swans academy. Sydney is a nice place to live too.

He just read Melbourne was the most Liveable city in the world so changed his mind ;)

What is the fascination with Roos? the guy has 1 premiership in 9 years of coaching and a winning % of 57% which matches up with some of best coaches but he's not far and away the be all and end all of what's available. Some would argue he was actually falling away towards the end of his coaching career with his final 4 season being his least productive and successful with the Swans! Facts are Roos done his best work at the start of his coaching life, I know he is switched on and I know he's highly respected but Melbourne should be using the Port Adelaide model and go for an innovative and dynamic assistant who will bring new views and a current day mentality.

Roos has had his time, he clearly doesn't consider coaching as a passion for him at this current stage so why would either Melbourne or Brisbane go after him? Smells of desperation and a lack of faith in the powers to be to actually go and get someone off their own accord who they believe in.

But it's so expensive.

I wonder if Foxtel pay him COLA above and beyond the likes of Huddo, Healy and Dwayne?

:p

Rodney Eade just ruled himself out of coaching Melbourne or Brisbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back