Paul Roos to Melbourne Football Club ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Budda Bing

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2010
Spearmint Rhino
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bench Press, Brad Miller, Beer
Paul Roos could be coaching the Melbourne Football Club by season’s end, if not sooner.
The former Sydney Swans premiership coach has been approached to take over the fledgling club by AFL heavyweights, who are concerned about the club’s future.
League bosses are currently working on a financial plan for Roos to become senior coach, with the Fox Footy commentator believed to have sounded out Assistant coaches to join him.
Current estimates have Roos earning in the vicinity of $1.25 million a season if the League can pull off the proposed deal.
The bold move will see current coach Mark Neeld ousted as coach of the red and blue, with President Don McLardy’s future also in doubt.
Influential backers of the move said the League is worried for the future of the Melbourne Football Club with the current scenario almost diabolical and wanted to intervene before the situation became irreparable.

Mike's son. Very interesting. Apparently Roos is already looking for assistant coaches.

PAUL ROOS; A DEMON??? http://wp.me/p2JmwG-10 via @wordpressdotcom
Retweeted by Wayne Ludbey.m/2013/05/08/paul-roos-a-demon/

Mike's son. Very interesting. Apparently Roos is already looking for assistant coaches.

PAUL ROOS; A DEMON??? http://wp.me/p2JmwG-10 via @wordpressdotcom
Retweeted by Wayne Ludbey.m/2013/05/08/paul-roos-a-demon/
Roos will always be a legend to us, but if it stops him commentating the Sydney games it'll be a godsend. It even makes this Swans fan cringe.

But seriously, i think it'd be a good move. If he can get those guys playing decent, tough, accountable footy, it's a step in the right direction.

Could do with a few tips from daddy.

Also, the third story on that blog (?) is titled 'TURN COAT TIPPET COSTS FEVOLA A COMEBACK!!!' which is the worst piece of AFL writing I have read, and I regularly scour Bay 13.

I like the idea of Roos coaching us, and potentially getting us out of the shithole we're in. I hate the idea of the AFL being involved with the deal though, that's just not fair.

Strong source
Yeah not fully convinced.

Is the article suggesting that the AFL going out and asking people to take over Melbourne without actually consulting Melbourne?

While Port never asked for it, AD was asked by a radio station last year if they would help fund Port getting a big name coach and the answer was no, so can't see why they would for Melbourne.

Secondly to that, it would be a bit odd that on one hand they AFL fine Melbourne for tanking, and then pump money back in and pay ofr a new coach while there is still an encumbant.

Yeah i'll wait for a better source than someone's wordpress blog.

No doubt it has been discussed probably best coach currently not coaching, but hard to see the AFL picking up the bill at least not directly.

Roos is a great coach but it will be a tough gig for any coach going in to this side. I mean Neeld has tried the tough approach and his players are still as soft as butter. Getting a certain coach doesn't always equal success. Often times clubs rise because of the leadership of certain players and the leadership group, rather than a coach telling them to harden the F up.

It's teams that have strong player leaders that develop winning cultures, and a good coach just knows how to plug into that and use it to his advantage. If Roos can develop leaders amongst the players who are willing to bust their guts on the field for him and then demand that other players do the same, then it may work. But given what I have seen at Melb already it's going to be a tough gig.

I do agree that the best thing about him getting a coaching job would be we no longer have to put up with his arrogant, AFL apologetic, and Sydney biased commentary on the TV. It's cringeworthy.

But it will be interesting to see what happens as I'm sure the denials will ring loud for the foreseeable future that Roos will coach anywhere, let alone Melb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While Port never asked for it, AD was asked by a radio station last year if they would help fund Port getting a big name coach and the answer was no, so can't see why they would for Melbourne.

Secondly to that, it would be a bit odd that on one hand they AFL fine Melbourne for tanking, and then pump money back in and pay ofr a new coach while there is still an encumbant.

Does anything the AFL do make much sense?

Does anything the AFL do make much sense?

To be honest, that's a come-back that I have absolutely no answer for, you've got me.

Based on that, I figure not only will Roos be coach, but the AFL will also pay Buddy 2 million marketing dollars outside the salary cap to play for Melbourne, and Kurt Tippett will also be added to the playing list, under the little known "We'll do whatever the * we want" clause.

To be honest, that's a come-back that I have absolutely no answer for, you've got me.

Based on that, I figure not only will Roos be coach, but the AFL will also pay Buddy 2 million marketing dollars outside the salary cap to play for Melbourne, and Kurt Tippett will also be added to the playing list, under the little known "We'll do whatever the **** we want" clause.
Melbourne, an entire team of Visy ambassadors.

Based on that, I figure not only will Roos be coach, but the AFL will also pay Buddy 2 million marketing dollars outside the salary cap to play for Melbourne, and Kurt Tippett will also be added to the playing list, under the little known "We'll do whatever the **** we want" clause.

Also Adelaide will be fined and lose draft picks as apparently if Melbourne * up it gets put on them.

Also Adelaide will be fined and lose draft picks as apparently if Melbourne **** up it gets put on them.

I'm starting to like the sound of this rule more and more ....

I get the impression from the blog that Tony is still living in daddy's basement and occasionally gets to use his computer.

Mike's gonna be pissed when he gets home and finds out what he's done this time.

I really hope they do get a premiership coach in. I wouldn't be surprised if Clarko left if we don't get up this year (not that I want him to - love Clarko)

Roos would be great for Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back