Toast PHIL WALSH tributes 2 years ago... in the words of the great man. GET THE JOB DONE!

Remove this Banner Ad

a lot of people are asking questions about why the board has been so critical lately, I suspect this is a factor.

Sometimes we need to be reminded Walshy's last game as coach was a 'thank God we won that one' win against Brisbane at the Gabba.

The masterpiece is still being developed.

One of the first things I did was email my friend who was due to pick me up from Heathrow as I was going to stay with her and her partner and warn her that I might be a bit of a blubbering mess when I arrived. It had made the news in the UK that she knew all about it even before I emailed her. I had messages from friends in the US and in Canada who had heard about it on the news over there too. While we know the impact it had here in Australia, it was something that is just so unprecented in the sporting world.
I remember thinking at the time that "This s**t doesn't happen!" and even now its still very hard to comprehend. I think not being in Australia in the days after was a very strange feeling. I would talk to people on our tour and locals in general and they were very much aware of what had happened.

Need to bear in mind this year and the years beyond are the ones he said we would start being a real contender. He was not interested in the quick fix but prolonged and sustained success.

Listening the Smithers it would seem the boys will do their best to uphold his grand vision.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think because the lasting 'ownership' origin of the medal would have been attached to AFC and not the other lot.
That is a shame as he is a Port Adeliade Life Member.

I find it somewhat poetic that his last footy game was the Port v Crows SANFL game at Alberton.

The club he was a Life Member at and the one he was current head coach of.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'll never forget the Crow (technically not a crow I believe) that sat on the Bradman Stand just above the coaches box during the minutes silence at what was meant to be the Geelong game, chirping away , the only thing breaking the silence. Someone took a photo of it, I remember seeing one when I got home but haven't been able to find it since

I'll never forget the Crow (technically not a crow I believe) that sat on the Bradman Stand just above the coaches box during the minutes silence at what was meant to be the Geelong game, chirping away , the only thing breaking the silence. Someone took a photo of it, I remember seeing one when I got home but haven't been able to find it since

Seem to remember the clock in that Showdown stalling at 1:19 as well. Freaky stuff.

He was never someone to bignote himself, and not naming the medal in his honour somewhat reflects that.

Our club worked with his family about what they felt was right, and it was agreed about renaming the Showdown medal in his honour. We then approached Port to say this is what the Walsh family is happy with and Port would not agree to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our club worked with his family about what they felt was right, and it was agreed about renaming the Showdown medal in his honour. We then approached Port to say this is what the Walsh family is happy with and Port would not agree to it.

really????? who on earth would go against the wishes of his family? gutter trash behaviour.

I was walking off a plane in Dubai and saw the news on the screen on the back of a chair on the plane. I just couldn't believe it and then spent the next hour sitting in the airport with tears and lurking around on BF to find out news and everything. I can still so clearly remember it all. Such a loss for his family, friends and the team.

There is a surreal feeling when you find out about tragic news in an airport. I remember being stuck in Hong Kong airport for a 16 hour stop-over when I saw the news bulletin about Steve Irwin dying.

What ended up being doubly surreal was hearing a familiar voice behind me, turning around and seeing Peter Brock with his missus scoping Sydney flights. This being not long before his fatal race accident.

What a time that was.

It was such an unfathomable thing to wake up to. Listening to Roo on Triple M that morning before he left for the club was heartbreaking. I've never before or since felt such acute grief towards someone I didn't know personally; was really flat for at least a week afterwards. He just represented so much hope for so many of us.
I know this will sound weird, but I broke down crying worse than when my dad died. It was such a shock.. and the circumstances... and the fact that we'd only had him at the post match function a week before. I was hopeless that day and for the next few. Luckily I was off to Tassie for the first singing retreat so I was able to soothe my soul (and keep myself busy).

Last edited:
I bet now that time has passed they wish they hadn't been so belligerent on that one.

Didn't we come out after and say that there will never be an alternative name for the Showdown medal after Port's rejection?

I mean seriously, it was so fitting and appropriate, and they rejected for purely selfish and self-serving reasons.

I thought it was interesting when Rory Sloane thanked the Walsh family after receiving the medal earlier this year. It felt maybe like at least this group of players have decided they will continue to use the occasion to honour Phil.

I bet now that time has passed they wish they hadn't been so belligerent on that one.

Didn't we come out after and say that there will never be an alternative name for the Showdown medal after Port's rejection?

I mean seriously, it was so fitting and appropriate, and they rejected for purely selfish and self-serving reasons.

Fagan added: "If the medal isn't named for Phil Walsh then I can't imagine anyone ever warranting the honour, so we believe it will always now remain the Showdown Medal."

After Keith Thomas said...

"I think you'd mount a good argument for naming the medal after Phil right now but I'm not so sure about five years time."

"We think once only was a really powerful statement," he said. "The Showdown Medal is a very significant award and I'm not sure that Phil – as tragic as the circumstances were of his death – warrants such a major decision as a forever decision.

"We think it could be overstating it."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/port-defends-showdown-medal-call-20160329-gntjlm.html

Last edited:
I thought it was interesting when Rory Sloane thanked the Walsh family after receiving the medal earlier this year. It felt maybe like at least this group of players have decided they will continue to use the occasion to honour Phil.

Fagan added: "If the medal isn't named for Phil Walsh then I can't imagine anyone ever warranting the honour, so we believe it will always now remain the Showdown Medal."

"I think you'd mount a good argument for naming the medal after Phil right now but I'm not so sure about five years time."

"We think once only was a really powerful statement," he said. "The Showdown Medal is a very significant award and I'm not sure that Phil – as tragic as the circumstances were of his death – warrants such a major decision as a forever decision.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/port-defends-showdown-medal-call-20160329-gntjlm.html

Instead what we did was rename out Team Man award in honour of Phil. It was the height of stupidity from Port and just so weird that they wouldn't agree to it long term.

I know this will sound weird, but I broke down crying worse than when my dad died. It was such a shock.. and the circumstances... and the fact that we'd only had him at the post match function a week before. I was hopeless that and for the next few. Luckily I was off to Tassie for the first singing retreat so I was able to smooth my soul (and keep myself busy).

I don't believe that's weird at all jenny, my reaction was similar.

it was such a shock - so many of us were not aware that we had invested so much in him in such a short space of time - genuine hope, joy, renewed enthusiasm for the game and the club we love - that we were simply and utterly floored when all of that was taken away so shockingly.
we were fascinated by his story, and he was so clearly a quality person; he both inspired and represented so much for us.

which is all of course nothing on the loss felt by Meredith and Quinn to this day :'(

ohmigod.

that makes me so, so angry.

My mum and dad were up in Cairns and I was packing the car to go camping with them. One of my sisters texted me about Phil Walsh and I found the news story and I then had to break it to my parents it felt like a family member, such a melancholy vibe. I didn't tell my kids as I thought it was too horrible.
When we got to the camping place I had left so much stuff behind and had to go to a nearby town and buy bedding, cooking utensils. I had my Crows beach towel with me and hung it up at our site like a flag while we were there. It was actually good to have my parents there to talk with about it.
I really hope we can get a flag soon, it will feel so good to complete this story in a meaningful way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back