List Mgmt. Pick 1,2,3 or 4?

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to trade in a key forward, not draft. Otherwise we are another 3 years down, we need to be playing finals now.
Yes exactly, losing a player like Pendles in best 22 is just too much backwards.

Trade 1 in, not draft, we need immediate results otherwise this rebuild will go on for 10 years +

Yes exactly, losing a player like Pendles in best 22 is just too much backwards.

Trade 1 in, not draft, we need immediate results otherwise this rebuild will go on for 10 years +

Pretty sure we have half arsed this "rebuild" you speak of already. over the last couple of years I think the board and coaching staff have thought we are closer to playing finals than we actually are. we bring in players like Greenwood, Wells, Mayne, Jesse White etc (now don't get me wrong I like some things about each player) But if you are in a rebuild you need to be all in. Carlton have finally learnt that they need to be playing and developing all their kid, and give them a couple years of playing together they will finally start to win more games.

you can bring in immediate help, but you also need to make sure on the player. no point bringing in late 20 year olds who wont see our next flag.

I really dont see us finishing bottom 4... unless we drop Bucks early and decide to tank the rest of the way through. (Which may not be a bad decision - but too early at this stage)

Guarantee we would f*ck up a top 4 draft pick at the moment.

5'10 inside midfielder who can run all day but can't kick. Guaran-damn-teed.

We need to trade in a key forward, not draft. Otherwise we are another 3 years down, we need to be playing finals now.
For me it would be great to acquire a true KPF no older than 26 to partner Moore, who himself is more of a hybrid type with great athleticism.

My question would be how we afford to pay a player like that, it won't be cheap and we have seemingly shot ourselves in the foot with some recent contracts, I heard one of the main reasons we went after Dunn was because we had almost zero money left in the cap after doing the Mayne/Wells combo.

If we are indeed in a "here there's no cash, cash no" situation, and we have Grundy likely to gain a substantial pay rise, maybe a couple of others, well it's far from ideal.
It would require us to let a significant piece go, or alternatively target the draft and put expectations on hold for awhile, which under a better coach may not be that long at all.

I reckon no matter where we finish Sam Wiedman From Melbourne would be a good fit and he has got collingwood bloodlines. Top 4 pick would be great but we probly need to play some good footy to attract a quality young bloke like Weideman or anyone else depends what way they want to go.

For me it would be great to acquire a true KPF no older than 26 to partner Moore, who himself is more of a hybrid type with great athleticism.

My question would be how we afford to pay a player like that, it won't be cheap and we have seemingly shot ourselves in the foot with some recent contracts, I heard one of the main reasons we went after Dunn was because we had almost zero money left in the cap after doing the Mayne/Wells combo.

If we are indeed in a "here there's no cash, cash no" situation, and we have Grundy likely to gain a substantial pay rise, maybe a couple of others, well it's far from ideal.
It would require us to let a significant piece go, or alternatively target the draft and put expectations on hold for awhile, which under a better coach may not be that long at all.

Deserves two likes for the Neville Bartos reference

We went after dunn cos we needed defender options and there wasn't heaps around. Collingwood aren't as dumb as people think. I think you might find that they hadn't filled enough of the cap due to the players that went out so they had to spend overs to meet the minimum cap spend. I bet wells and mayne are both on hugely front ended deals. They know they paid overs but they had to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We went after dunn cos we needed defender options and there wasn't heaps around.

We went after Dunn specifically because he was cheap as chips, of course we needed "defender options" that's a given Captain Obvious.

Collingwood aren't as dumb as people think

Hmm also maybe not as smart as some people think, just ponder what we've done in recent years for more than 1 minute.

I think you might find that they hadn't filled enough of the cap due to the players that went out so they had to spend overs to meet the minimum cap spend.

Why the long term deals? Particularly for a washed up Blair type who stinks it up in the VFL, seems a very intelligent move don't you say?

I bet wells and mayne are both on hugely front ended deals.

You bet? Well that's all I needed to hear, thanks for your words of wisdom, you did a great job of not answering the question I posed, instead going off on a tangent.

I've now had my share of the famed Fonzeno1 intellect, enjoy living in la la land, I've heard it's great this time of year.

I think we'll finish 12-15 and get pick 4-7 before compensation picks. I think we should do a Melbourne 2015 and trade our 2018 first for a 2017 first, let's say Sydney's first (pick 6-9). It speeds up the rebuild and we have a couple of top tier youngsters developing together for a long time.

Find a way to get a second round pick by trading an Aish, Crisp, Phillips or the like. We have two 3rd rounders so let's say hypothetically, we give pick 41 + Josh Smith for Pick 28 (Fremantle's second rounder at Gold Coast, sending Smith back to QLD)

Theoretically:
Pick 5: Classy midfielder with elite kicking - Cameron Rayner 187cm Inside mid
Pick 9 (Sydney) - best available key forward - Sam Hayes 200cm KPF/Ruck
Pick 28: (Fremantle) - Line breaking midfielder with good kicking, like a Rory Atkins type
3rd Round pick: Best available key defender - I'd love a Steven May type defender, it'd be great to find a lock-down type like him without the 5-week suspensions.
4th Round pick: Excuse the racial stereotype, but an Aboriginal small forward, like a Leon Davis. They're dangerous and attractive to watch.

Rookie draft:
1st round: Outside midfielder with pace and above average kicking - similar to a Curtly Hampton type
2nd round: State league key defender - like Marcus Adams at WB
3rd Round: Mature-aged midfielder - similar to Josh Smith but with more hurt factor. I'd look to reintroduce Jye Bolton to the Pies, who won the Sandover last year.
4th Round: Half-back flanker - the best available. Needs to be quick.

That's a real christmas list but I'd love it.
Is Sam Hayes a #1 ruckman or can he play as a forward? I wouldn't want to get Hayes if he's just a ruckman. Same with Coleman-Jones

Is Sam Hayes a #1 ruckman or can he play as a forward? I wouldn't want to get Hayes if he's just a ruckman. Same with Coleman-Jones
I think CCJ is predominantly a forward but Hayes is a bit of a 50/50 both ways like Tippett. I'm keen to see how the rest of his year goes because I'm not sure Brander will be available after Carlton's first pick, presuming we finish above them.

We went after Dunn specifically because he was cheap as chips, of course we needed "defender options" that's a given Captain Obvious.

Hmm also maybe not as smart as some people think, just ponder what we've done in recent years for more than 1 minute.

Why the long term deals? Particularly for a washed up Blair type who stinks it up in the VFL, seems a very intelligent move don't you say?

You bet? Well that's all I needed to hear, thanks for your words of wisdom, you did a great job of not answering the question I posed, instead going off on a tangent.

I've now had my share of the famed Fonzeno1 intellect, enjoy living in la la land, I've heard it's great this time of year.
No need to get personal mate was just sharing my point of view. I'll try to answer the question a bit better. The pies had alot of money come off their list swan, cloke, williams, toovey, mcaffer. They have to pay a salary cap minimum. They offered a huge deal to hurley couldn't get him. They probly offered other defenders too. They bought in mayne, wells, hoskin elliott, dunn and draftees. They still have to pay salary cap minimum so they front end wells and mayne first year to meet it then pay less for the rest of their contracts. I would also think that they have trigger clauses on both contracts. Also the $$ amount of the contracts reported is usually inflated as it is usually generated by the club they left. They report it a bit higher so their supporters are more understanding. The actual figures are never released. So money is freed up after their first year as they are paid less. Also there will be extra money when the cap is increased.

Last edited:
No need to get personal mate was just sharing my point of view. I'll try to answer the question a bit better. The pies had alot of money come off their list swan, cloke, williams, toovey, mcaffer. They have to pay a salary cap minimum. They offered a huge deal to hurley couldn't get him. They probly offered other defenders too. They bought in mayne, wells, hoskin elliott, dunn and draftees. They still have to pay salary cap minimum so they front end wells and mayne first year to meet it then pay less for the rest of their contracts. I would also think that they have trigger clauses on both contracts. Also the $$ amount of the contracts reported is usually inflated as it is usually generated by the club they left. They report it a bit higher so their supporters are more understanding. The actual figures are never released. So money is freed up after their first year as they are paid less. Also there will be extra money when the cap is increased.
Well put Fonzeno, think Collingwood are smart enough to know what they are doing and I agree they had lots of cap that they needed to be paid. Pity some people resort to being personal to a well thought out post

I think we'll finish 12-15 and get pick 4-7 before compensation picks. I think we should do a Melbourne 2015 and trade our 2018 first for a 2017 first, let's say Sydney's first (pick 6-9). It speeds up the rebuild and we have a couple of top tier youngsters developing together for a long time.

Find a way to get a second round pick by trading an Aish, Crisp, Phillips or the like. We have two 3rd rounders so let's say hypothetically, we give pick 41 + Josh Smith for Pick 28 (Fremantle's second rounder at Gold Coast, sending Smith back to QLD)

Theoretically:
Pick 5: Classy midfielder with elite kicking - Cameron Rayner 187cm Inside mid
Pick 9 (Sydney) - best available key forward - Sam Hayes 200cm KPF/Ruck
Pick 28: (Fremantle) - Line breaking midfielder with good kicking, like a Rory Atkins type
3rd Round pick: Best available key defender - I'd love a Steven May type defender, it'd be great to find a lock-down type like him without the 5-week suspensions.
4th Round pick: Excuse the racial stereotype, but an Aboriginal small forward, like a Leon Davis. They're dangerous and attractive to watch.

Rookie draft:
1st round: Outside midfielder with pace and above average kicking - similar to a Curtly Hampton type
2nd round: State league key defender - like Marcus Adams at WB
3rd Round: Mature-aged midfielder - similar to Josh Smith but with more hurt factor. I'd look to reintroduce Jye Bolton to the Pies, who won the Sandover last year.
4th Round: Half-back flanker - the best available. Needs to be quick.

That's a real christmas list but I'd love it.

They are saying 2018 draft looks better then this years so not sure we should be trading out of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back