AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

i cant find a picture but does anyone remember tim williams from late 90s? He was from East Perth. he never played a game but he had a great jaw. I was at training once and Andrew Ukovic was calling him Roger Ramjet. Mcgrath has him covered.

******* lol

55ee9a9b6bfd49635b40a812b9dab30e.jpg
So sick of Essendon picking spuds purely for their looks.

Don't really get the big deal about him getting number 1, acting like its a lot of pressure to put in him. The last person to wear number 1 was Hibberd, there were many great players before that also, but just because it's the lowest number it doesn't necessarily mean that it must mean it's the best. Giving him number 4 if Jobe had of retired this year would have been a lot more pressure IMO, for example

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't really get the big deal about him getting number 1, acting like its a lot of pressure to put in him. The last person to wear number 1 was Hibberd, there were many great players before that also, but just because it's the lowest number it doesn't necessarily mean that it must mean it's the best. Giving him number 4 if Jobe had of retired this year would have been a lot more pressure IMO, for example
Those people are referring to adding to the pressure of being the number one pick by giving him #1. Not concerned personally.

I love it that EFC has the balls to give the. number 1 draft pick the lofty number 1 jumper with all its expectations. Of course it puts even more pressure on McGrath and puts him even more in the spotlight, but he'll wear it with great distinction I reckon. He's no Richard Tambling.

People can argue one way or another from the sidelines, who knows how he actually feels about it though?

If we are going by facial expressions in photos, this is what I see:

He looks generally unimpressed in just about every photo I've seen him in. Even when he's trying to crack a smile.

Do you know why?

He already knows he's better than most things around him. He is setting a standard/ceiling for what it is to be a human and an athlete. He's not concerned with second rate crap (which by our standards, being mere mortals, we think is great).

It's just who he is.

Was he pleased with no.1? Probably not.

He wanted a number that doesn't even exist yet. That's what level this guy is on.

He looks generally unimpressed in just about every photo I've seen him in. Even when he's trying to crack a smile.

Do you know why?

He already knows he's better than most things around him. He is setting a standard/ceiling for what it is to be a human and an athlete. He's not concerned with second rate crap (which by our standards, being mere mortals, we think is great).

It's just who he is.

He wanted a number that doesn't even exist yet. That's what level this guy is on.
The first player to wear i (imaginary number - square root of -1 for those playing at home)

100% Agree, giving him #5 after James Hird one of the Essendon greats would've been pressure.

Do you know why?

It's just who he is.

I heard he asked for the number Infinity but the AFL turned it down

I heard he asked for the number Infinity but the AFL turned it down
Actually, I'm pretty sure the AFL asked him to take it, but instead he opted for a number us mere mortals can comprehend, as to ease the transition to McGrath-induced transience.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the AFL asked him to take it, but instead he opted for a number us mere mortals can comprehend, as to ease the transition to McGrath-induced transience.
fair call, you could be right. He probably wanted the square root of a negative number but took 1 as a compromise

I don't think it's pressure, I just think it's Corny as *.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back