Player Watch Pick #29 (2012) - Tom Clurey

Remove this Banner Ad

Bill Simmons does a worst contract podcast in the NBA and I reckon Tom Clurey would be up there for the AFL.

Hopefully he is on decent money and not biggish money.

The contract seems to be an albatross and it looks unlikely that he will break into the 23. He's backup and looking to change positions to get a chance but you wouldn't really go with him on the wing.

They are trying but really they are making up for past mistakes which is a hallmark of this organisation and Chris Davies who I assume did the contract.

It makes sense that Clurey was moved around but went back to defence now McKenzie is injured - so much so I'm surprised they actually did it.

McKenzie is clearly the backup and we didn't want 2 30+ KPDs in the SANFL. But now McKenzie is injured, we might as well use the backup for the backup.

Would Cluzza get a game at North, Richmond, Hawthorn, West Coast ?

I reckon he would at most of those clubs.

I'm sure the club tried to offload him to any club who would listen and probably offered to pay most or all of his contract just to get it off the books. No takers.

Bill Simmons does a worst contract podcast in the NBA and I reckon Tom Clurey would be up there for the AFL.

Hopefully he is on decent money and not biggish money.

The contract seems to be an albatross and it looks unlikely that he will break into the 23. He's backup and looking to change positions to get a chance but you wouldn't really go with him on the wing.

They are trying but really they are making up for past mistakes which is a hallmark of this organisation and Chris Davies who I assume did the contract.

Clurey signed the contract extension (which he’s now on) at a time he had been a depth player for a while.

There’s no way he’s on a big contract, he would be on peanuts unless they had to pad it out to make the cap minimum.

Clurey is a 3rd tall defender who is now in the break glass in an absolute emergency category at best at AFL level, whether it is of his own volition or it's just another of kern's brainwaves, trying to reinvent him as a wingman is absolute BS that is doomed for failure.

A smart club, particularly one with 3 immature tall defenders in their magoo's would make a bloke like him captain at that level, and tell him it's his job to help develop those blokes.

It's not rocket science, and typical of the Tom Jonas situation where no-one had the cajones to do anything about it.
Cluzza could still be useful at sanfl level in that type of role, while TJ unfortunately became a non entity regardless of which level he was playing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back