Player Watch Pick #5 (2006) - Travis Boak

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny how this season when we’ve been battling a bit that Boak is one of the first to put his body on the line.
Pretty selfish of him….
No argument that his goal kicking is flawed but in general his experience and leadership for the younger guys is invaluable.
Definitely past his best but has a role to play and no one is beating down walls to replace him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Funny how this season when we’ve been battling a bit that Boak is one of the first to put his body on the line.
Pretty selfish of him….
No argument that his goal kicking is flawed but in general his experience and leadership for the younger guys is invaluable.
Definitely past his best but has a role to play and no one is beating down walls to replace him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He also had his innards rearranged in the pre season (no suspension of course) which I think has hampered in him.

One of the zombie 'I hate Boak' crowd. Cut and paste the same hate sentiment but ask them to back it up...
This is objective fact. His disposal efficiency is ******* s**t. He ran at like 50% or so on the weekend lol.

It's hard to tell if it's age or whether he hasn't had the chance to properly recover from the injuries this year. If it's the latter then he could probably get more midfield minutes next year, if the former, then it is time to hang up the boots. If you were ranking players across the AFL on how good a person they are, he'd be in the top handful. If I had a daughter, I'd want her to marry a guy like Boak, but it's hard to argue he has a killer instinct.

Copping the Dank 1.0 Geelong in 2007, IMO, left scars that never fully healed. It's not failure he's afraid of, it's success and failing again on the big stage. Not consciously, but if you were ranking players on our list to take a shot after the siren (just within their usual kicking distance) to win into the Grand Final, he'd be a long way down the list.

Boak, Lycett and Dixon in particular have been poorly managed towards the end of their careers. All carrying injuries, some better than others. Cats last season were lauded for resting their seniors and getting them cherry ripe for finals.
We are running ours into early retirement pre finals

He's gonna play forevery because he's prettery 'n goes away 'n trains overseasery 'n he's a great blokery 'n he'll breakery the games recordery 'n spray kickerys from arsehole to breakfastery etc. ery

This is objective fact. His disposal efficiency is ******* s**t. He ran at like 50% or so on the weekend lol.

Because disposal efficiency is the gold standard for measuring a players kicking, and validates the other knocks on him. Particularly as applied to one game.

He did not have a good game generally. But I'm hesitant to judge him while he is forced to play on a HFF. A position which has proven to be a graveyard for he and many other players. It's like playing Bonner at full back.

Last edited:
Because disposal efficiency is the gold standard for measuring a players kicking, and validates the other knocks on him. Particularly as applied to one game.

He did not have a good game generally. But I'm hesitant to judge him while he is forced to play on a HFF. A position which has proven to be a graveyard for he and many other players. It's like playing Bonner at full back.
That's the position you have to judge him on though. He's never breaking into our midfield again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the position you have to judge him on though. He's never breaking into our midfield again.

Its not the only position he need play all game every game and there are opportunities for him in the midfield IMO.

JHF is running out of steam, Ollie is clearly struggling, Butters is carrying something, is on the bench in the last quarter whilst being more than twice the HFF Boak is and there is no room for Boak in our midfield.

Duursma makes four critical errors for us on the wing but plays the whole game there.

Our midfield gets kicked in the last quarter and two of our best inside/clearance mids are playing as forwards while the commentators yammer that our senior players aren't standing up. That's last game. Look at every game the same way and I guarantee there is a time and place for Boak in a better spot that uses his strengths to advantage.

Thought he's had an OK year, especially after taking a few knocks, but his game on the weekend was very frustrating. Just seemed to bomb it to space and the kicks weren't pretty. You can back him to win the ball but have little faith in what he does with it.
If he really does need a rest then hopefully it happens soon and does wonders for him.

Geelong were trying to raid us at our absolute lowest point.
Hardly compares to Grundy and Melbourne anyway who both seem to want him out.
Yes, there is no comparison. Boak was a young superstar headed for captaincy of the club, while Grundy has been shunted aside & is superfluous to their needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back