Pies land big fish, missing flag puzzle piece fits

Remove this Banner Ad

So very true.

2018 will be the year of the media ruining our chances of getting Lynch... Coupled with a few extra million dollars the AFL will give Lynch.
I don't know about that. With the AFL's "11 herbs and spices" FA formula, GC will likely land a top 3 pick and a top 20 priority pick if Lynch leaves as a FA. As compared to the speculated going rate for trade which at this stage would be a pick in the 7-10 range this year and a 10-15 pick next year.

GC don't necessarily want to go to the draft and I could see them preferring to dangle a top 3 pick and big bucks to a player who would actually want to be there, like they did with Weller this year. From an AFL perspective, I think they would rather an ambassador whose heart is in promoting the club and AFLQ instead of shopping himself around.

I'm going to add that Wayne was against the Lockett signing but it had nothing to do with Mark being at the club. Rocca at that time was the great shining light and I think had just come off a 90 odd goal season and best and fairest win.

Lockett was seen as a selfish and volatile personality who could destroy the team. Collingwood would not have been a good fit.

Anyway, Al's version is just trying to make him look like a hero which is pretty typical of that numbskull.

Edit: Rocca kicked 49 goals the year before and 70 odd the year before that ( he kicked 93 in 1995 season which would have been the year Lockett played had we recruited him).

Last edited:
I don't know about that. With the AFL's "11 herbs and spices" FA formula, GC will likely land a top 3 pick and a top 20 priority pick if Lynch leaves as a FA. As compared to the speculated going rate for trade which at this stage would be a pick in the 7-10 range this year and a 10-15 pick next year.

GC don't necessarily want to go to the draft and I could see them preferring to dangle a top 3 pick and big bucks to a player who would actually want to be there, like they did with Weller this year. From an AFL perspective, I think they would rather an ambassador whose heart is in promoting the club and AFLQ instead of shopping himself around.

You might be right. Works for us. Unlikely GC will turn into a monster club any time soon even with those types of priorities.

I'm going to add that Wayne was against the Lockett signing but it had nothing to do with Mark being at the club. Rocca at that time was the great shining light and I think had just come off a 90 odd goal season and best and fairest win.

Lockett was seen as a selfish and volatile personality who could destroy the team. Collingwood would not have been a good fit.

Anyway, Al's version is just trying to make him look like a hero which is pretty typical of that numbskull.

Edit: Rocca kicked 49 goals the year before and 70 odd the year before that ( he kicked 93 in 1995 season which would have been the year Lockett played had we recruited him).
McAllister, not a nice fellow.
That's my recollection.

You might be right. Works for us. Unlikely GC will turn into a monster club any time soon even with those types of priorities.
The thing is that everyone keeps saying that Lynch leaving will be a PR disaster for GC and the AFL but in reality, the situation is much worse right now.They already had a captain wanting to bail last season, how bad does it look having the next one shopping his services around for an entire season? GC are better off showing a strong stance, getting on the front foot and effectively clearing the decks of anyone whose not invested in the club instead of trying to win over the ones halfway out the door.

The thing is that everyone keeps saying that Lynch leaving will be a PR disaster for GC and the AFL but in reality, the situation is much worse right now.They already had a captain wanting to bail last season, how bad does it look having the next one shopping his services around for an entire season? GC are better off showing a strong stance, getting on the front foot and effectively clearing the decks of anyone whose not invested in the club instead of trying to win over the ones halfway out the door.
I wonder why it would be a PR disaster?

Seriously who follows the Suns?
Who even knows (Besides the rusted on footy fans) up there who Tom Lynch is?
Doubt anyone but the AFL itself remotely cares.

He can become a magpie for 2019 and we can go back to back then :)

AFL can't stop Lynch from leaving, they can put things in place to make it very attractive for him to stay.
They could even arrange a guma

I don't recall us going for Bernie Quinlan.
I do recall us going to get Sam Kekovich, Laurie Sandilands (who was a very good player at the dogs) Butch Edwards (the next gun CHF at the time) Warwick Irwin Geoff Raines and Graham Teasdale and a few others. All were busts after being superstars at their previous club.
Doesnt always work out
I played with Warwick Irwin at Glen Waverley when he stood out. I thought he went OK! :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that's not Wayne's version so I'll leave it at that!

Al was a massive self promoter.
You may well be right. Although Al says he was against it, at no stage does he state whether or not Wayne abstained from the vote.

The Quinlan miss was probably the worst - not sure how many GFs Lockett would have featured in for us but with Quinlan there in 79 and 81 I back us to win both those flags. The guy was a superstar.
To have beaten that evil empire in two GFs would have made my younger life (and adult mindset) so, So, SO, SOOOOO much happier.
Whoever was on the board at that time - You F ... Up :(
We would have won the 1980 flag too - if we had Superboot and he'd kicked 14+ goals in the GF... :)

Did Irwin get a kick in the 1981 GF?
12 kicks and 3 hand balls. One mark as well.

The number 7 played one season with us and then back to Fitzroy.
Can't recall why.

12 kicks and 3 hand balls. One mark as well.
The number 7 played one season with us and then back to Fitzroy.Can't recall why.
Well there you go - I was there and seemed to recall he didn't have a great impact - didn't we recruit him DURING the 1981 season? Another GF where we led at 3/4 time and couldn't nail it :(

Well there you go - I was there and seemed to recall he didn't have a great impact - didn't we recruit him DURING the 1981 season? Another GF where we led at 3/4 time and couldn't nail it :(
Ineffectual perhaps by Irwin?

We kicked two lousy points in the last quater.
Never gets easy remembering that.

Please can we get another Stephen Milne type bounce in our favour and then beat Carlscum in a GF? It would be therapeutic after decades of pain
Or just clobber some team by 100 points in the GF,
That works too

I was more up the Punt Rd end for Rocca's 'goal', couldn't really tell from where I was sitting but I am def going with that it was a goal

Yeh Plugger would of been handy around that time, think he finished in about 02 as well, would of been a great end to Pluggers career, a flag

Quinlan would of been great in those years, 79, 81, may have saved me, and a lot of us, a lot of childhood angst as well
Plugger was less effectual than Ascott Cummings - hadn’t played for three years and came back for like 3 games and 2 goals.

Don’t get me wrong, Lockett was actually one of my all time favourite players but the only thing having him on the list would’ve done is probably prevented us picking up Cummings - or maybe even trading for Molloy.

wait for the melts whatever happens.

• Melt : we didn't get him
  • Melt : we did get him but gave up two first rounders
  • Melt : we did get him but he was on the stage tripped over and out doctor stuffed up....
  • Melt: we did get him, we gave up Oxley, Thomas, Greenwood and that pesky third rounder from Sydney in the Murray trade.
  • Melt : we passed on him for Lukusious but Hawthorn snagged him for their next two first rounders (big sook how Hawthorn do everything well)
I’d be pissed off if we gave up Thomas to be honest. Would rather lose Aish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back