News Pies Player-Toucher banned for rest of 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

COLLINGWOOD MEMBER SUSPENDED

The AFL has banned a Collingwood member for the rest of the year, after he leaned over the fence and grabbed West Coast Eagles player Harvey Johnston on Sunday afternoon at Marvel Stadium.

The incident occurred during the fourth quarter when the patron stood up in his seat, leant over the fence and proceeded to grab and then pat Johnston on the head and the took the football from him.

After reviewing the security report and taking into consideration the fan’s immediate contrition including actively providing Police and security his details on the day, the AFL has banned him from attending, at a minimum, all AFL / AFLW matches in 2024.

The total ban is 12 months, with six months suspended (with the suspended portion remaining in place for two years).

The patron is a Collingwood member, whose membership has now been suspended by the club for the rest of 2024. Pending his cooperation with the sanction he will be able to purchase a 2025 Collingwood membership and attend matches in 2025.

AFL General Counsel Stephen Meade said the incident on Sunday night was simply not acceptable.

“While we acknowledge the innocuous nature in which the incident played out on the day, these types of interactions should not happen. Grabbing a player from over the fence could have potentially escalated if it wasn’t for the professional manner in which Eagles player Harvey responded.” Mr Meade said.

“We also acknowledge the fan involved proactively made himself known to security and Police and apologised to both Collingwood, West Coast and the AFL, and recognise his immediate understanding of his actions not being acceptable.

“We have the best fans in sport, and more than 3.1 million people have attended the footy this year and we want everyone who comes to games to barrack for their club and enjoy the experience, but when you overstep the clear boundaries, which is what happened on the weekend, then you will lose the privilege of being able to attend the footy.

“Reinforcing what we communicated last year - we love the interactions between players and fans especially in the moments pre and post-game, and the occasion in-game when a player celebrates with his club’s fans - however what we saw on Sunday during the match is not acceptable.”

1715693048741.png

Last edited:

I didn't like that when I watched the game live. I would've given him a karate chop to the larynx.
Of course you would have, tough guy. Considering the spectator looked at least in his 50’s, about 5 foot 3, and 55 kilos dripping wet, you probably would have killed him. Jerk!

• Admin
I didn't like that when I watched the game live. I would've given him a karate chop to the larynx.
Austin Powers Movie GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looked like zero malice in it but fair enough that the AFL don't want to set a precedent that such contact is okay.
A 12 month suspended ban would have done that.

Lucky it wasn’t Jacob Weitering. He would have finger pointed him to death.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back