Preview Pies V Saints (team in OP, 4 changes, Goody and Howe debut)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great day to watch training today with my boys and my girls :D

My nephews & niece will also be there......should be fun.

Will keep a close eye on Howe, Witts, Broomy & Aish.

Will try and keep you posted.

I get the feeling that if Witts is ready to go he will come in for Gault.

Really want to see Howe come in this week.

Following week Varcoe and Sidebottom will come in.... Potentially Goldsack also.

This is getting us closer to our best 22 with the only players really missing are Swan, Elliott and Scharenberg.

We need 2 key forwards and a 3rd tall who can play forward and pinch hit in the ruck. Personally I would like to see White play that role this week but get the feeling Witts will get the nod.

Keep on swapping and changing my opinion on the changes but I think:

INS: Howe, one of White/Witts
OUTS: Gault, one of Frost/Langdon

B - Ramsay Brown Frost/Langdon
HB - Sinclair Reid Williams
C - Crisp Pendlebury Greenwood
HF - Howe Moore DeGoey
F - Fasolo Cloke White/Witts
R - Grundy Adams Treloar
INT - Aish Macaffer Blair Oxley

Following week

INS: Varcoe, Sidebottom, Goldsack
OUTS: Macaffer, Oxley, Frost/Langdon

B - Ramsay Brown Goldsack
HB - Sinclair Reid Williams
C - Sidebottom Pendlebury Greenwood
HF - Howe Moore Varcoe
F - Fasolo Cloke White/Witts
R - Grundy Adams Treloar
INT - Crisp Aish Blair DeGoey

I hope not because I'm prepared for it. Here's a taste:

5.5k, 3h, 3m, 1G, 2.5t, 0ho and 1I50

V.

3k, 2.5h, 1m, 0G, 3t, 3.5ho and 0I50

Both of those two players had less than 10 matches to their name entering the season. One is almost universally copping heat for their performance whilst it hasn't even been suggested that the other might need to give us Moore...

I take your point, even if I think there's a little more to it than that.

But I just don't want to come in one day and find you dismembered because you picked the wrong sacred cow to slaughter...

Difference being one is a second year player who's yet to really grow in to his body and the other is in his 5th year with a mature body.

The other one who needs to give us Moore, as you suggested, is likely not copping heat because when he doesn't get his hands on it, he's at least show an ability to get to, and impact a contest.

I know you like stats Scodog, but those numbers don't really tell the full story.

My point isn't so much about the stats alone given that as I said it was only a taste...

I can go further. Moore has only impacted the contest twice in 2016 and one of those was via a free kick. Aside from that he's been Mr. Invisible whereas Gault was more than adequate in the final 5 minutes whilst Grundy was taking a final rest.

This also isn't anything about dropping Moore nor is it pumping up Gault. It's a case of highlighting the different attitudes when both are in flat form and given JDG is another in his second year, but hasn't escaped the blowtorch and is in better form, IMO, it's only fair that Moore is scrutinised.

Now that it's Thursday and we have match selection this evening were I on the match committee I'd look at something like this.

Out: Gault and Frost
In: Howe and Goldsack

This adds to our scoring power and increases our pressure on the ball carrier to help with our useless zone. Moore is used as the second ruck to at least get something out of him.

My point isn't so much about the stats alone given that as I said it was only a taste

This adds to our scoring power and increases our pressure on the ball carrier to help with our useless zone. Moore is used as the second ruck to at least get something out of him.

Swap Frost with Langdon and I agree with those two changes.

Sitting behind the Tigers goal in the last quarter just highlighted to me how out of form Langdon is in.

Goldsack will at least stay on his man and can tackle and kick the ball 60 metres from the kick out. Langdon is not doing any of those things at the moment.

By the way IMO it was Bucks fault Langdon was on Riewolt in that quarter.

My point isn't so much about the stats alone given that as I said it was only a taste...

I can go further. Moore has only impacted the contest twice in 2016 and one of those was via a free kick. Aside from that he's been Mr. Invisible whereas Gault was more than adequate in the final 5 minutes whilst Grundy was taking a final rest.

This also isn't anything about dropping Moore nor is it pumping up Gault. It's a case of highlighting the different attitudes when both are in flat form and given JDG is another in his second year, but hasn't escaped the blowtorch and is in better form, IMO, it's only fair that Moore is scrutinised.

Now that it's Thursday and we have match selection this evening were I on the match committee I'd look at something like this.

Understand all that, but I think that young key forwards tend to get more leeway than others purely because people understand they take longer to develop than their midfield counterparts. It's an excuse Gault no longer has, despite his relatively equal senior experience to Moore.

It's only natural for people to be disappointed that JDG hasn't set the world on fire so far after he tore up NAB, and while Moore kicked a bag against the Dogs, the expectation of him to do that consistently is naturally a lot lower than for a mid to pick up 20 odd posessions.

The key though, is that despite Moore's lack of presence over the past 2 weeks, is that he's still hit the scoreboard, which is his job. Gault had two opportunities to try and convert from 50 last week, which should be in his range, and shat the bed. Did not want to take the shot. That's not what you want from a 200cm key forward. You want a confident player who will go back and try to slot the goal from 50. Gault is not that confident player, and I'm not sure he ever will be.

Swap Frost with Langdon and I agree with those two changes.

Sitting behind the Tigers goal in the last quarter just highlighted to me how out of form Langdon is in.

Goldsack will at least stay on his man and can tackle and kick the ball 60 metres from the kick out. Langdon is not doing any of those things at the moment.

By the way IMO it was Bucks fault Langdon was on Riewolt in that quarter.

Frost v Langdon is Pepsi v Coke this week much of a muchness really. I went with Frost out only because I think the zone will work better with more pressure up-field and Frost's game isn't suited to it. Were I confident we were going back to a more man on man setup it's Langdon.

Frost v Langdon is Pepsi v Coke this week much of a muchness really. I went with Frost out only because I think the zone will work better with more pressure up-field and Frost's game isn't suited to it. Were I confident we were going back to a more man on man setup it's Langdon.
How ridiculous. Coke is far superior to Pepsi.

Understand all that, but I think that young key forwards tend to get more leeway than others purely because people understand they take longer to develop than their midfield counterparts. It's an excuse Gault no longer has, despite his relatively equal senior experience to Moore.

It's only natural for people to be disappointed that JDG hasn't set the world on fire so far after he tore up NAB, and while Moore kicked a bag against the Dogs, the expectation of him to do that consistently is naturally a lot lower than for a mid to pick up 20 odd posessions.

The key though, is that despite Moore's lack of presence over the past 2 weeks, is that he's still hit the scoreboard, which is his job. Gault had two opportunities to try and convert from 50 last week, which should be in his range, and shat the bed. Did not want to take the shot. That's not what you want from a 200cm key forward. You want a confident player who will go back and try to slot the goal from 50. Gault is not that confident player, and I'm not sure he ever will be.

I think Gault is a very reliable kick on goal but may lack some distance, courtesy of his up and under kicking style. I'm inclined to think he was at the edge of his range rather than he shat himself.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I like it:cool::cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Christ are you serious? 2 weeks?

So you haven't been watching Collingwood the last 2 years? You know, when we were dead last for centre clearance differential? Seriously man, I know "you're positive" and all that s**t, but open your eyes at least a TAD.

On topic, Pendlebury should be rested for a couple of weeks to get over his rib injury.

So you don't think we should expect improvement upon last season with the addition of new players and another preseason under the belts of the kids? Or you just think that 2 rounds is sufficient to assess that that won't happen this year?

So you don't think we should expect improvement upon last season with the addition of new players and another preseason under the belts of the kids? Or you just think that 2 rounds is sufficient to assess that that won't happen this year?

Well... I mean it's been 2 rounds and there's literally been no change.

Even in NAB we only won centre clearances in bursts. There was no consistency. So something tells me that the problem may not lie in the midfield players. Could be the ruckmen?

I think David King made a good point on afl 360 tonight - teams can get caught up and let a win cover the cracks.

I really hope we dont do that because whilst it was good to win there was a lot not to like that needs to be worked on as well, hopefully we dont get caught up in it and address all those issues.

As they said St.Kilda apply good pressure and can actually play good fast football, we will need to be better than last week if we are to win this, i hope we are!

I wanna see as close to a complete performance as we can have with the players that field the G!

Not sure Bucks saying we're going at about 1/2 rat power fits that scenario.

I hope not because I'm prepared for it. Here's a taste:

5.5k, 3h, 3m, 1G, 2.5t, 0ho and 1I50

V.

3k, 2.5h, 1m, 0G, 3t, 3.5ho and 0I50

Both of those two players had less than 10 matches to their name entering the season. One is almost universally copping heat for their performance whilst it hasn't even been suggested that the other might need to give us Moore...

To be fair, Moore does create opportunities, just not taking them yet. The number of times he was the only player to get his hands on the footy in a contested F50 marking contest yet failed to clunk the mark and it was cleared was very frustrating. But I do agree there is an enormous disparity among supporters in what is acceptable performances for a favourite v an also ran. People trot out the age difference as an excuse but then choose elsewhere to compare the weekends game of a player like Langdon with that of Gibson. No wonder the side has trouble scoring with the goal posts moving all the time.

Langdon turns it over in the goal square and Toovey scores goal :eek:

I think Gault is a very reliable kick on goal but may lack some distance, courtesy of his up and under kicking style. I'm inclined to think he was at the edge of his range rather than he shat himself.

VFL performances would suggest the 50 meter arc is about it, surprised he didn't do better from 45. Suggest it's a confidence thing.

Pendles taking kickouts for black team (seniors)

Match simulation more about getting out of defense and picking right option

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back