Players of yesteryear, who would be stars today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Matera would absolutely kill teams.....He would slice through these zones and kick 5 goals every week.

One thing to note is that the 'talls' of yesteryear weren't actually that tall by modern standards, so you'd need to reposition them.

'Big Nick' John Nicholls, Carlton great and resting ruckman in the AFL team of the century was only 189cm tall ( and 108KG!!! )

Neil Balme, Richmond ruckman in the 70's was 194cm. - these days he might make it as a key forward, but he's at the short end for that.

Royce Hart, one of the greatest CHF to play the game was 187cm & 89Kg. About an average midfielders size these days.

Jack Dyer, a great player and dominant ruckman of the 30's and 40's was 185cm.

Spot on. As a lot of these guys played as Talls, they also didn't have the body shape, aerobic capacity or speed to play to their hight in modern day.

Dyer from what I've read may have made it as a nasty onballer rather than ruck, Hart may have made it as a HFF but big Nick wouldn't get a game.

Even allowing for modern training there's only so much you can do.

Aaron Edwards would have been a gun FF 20 years ago, now he struggles to find his proper position at AFL level.

Some guys I can think of who are built for the modern game in terms of run and carry would be Michael Tuck, Kevin Bartlett and Craig Bradley. Bartlett probably had more career tackles than handballs but would have been good.

Guys like Carmen and Greening would have been guns today as well but very few KPP from the old days would make it now unless they were nimble and quick enough to play small.

Aaron Edwards would have been a gun FF 20 years ago, now he struggles to find his proper position at AFL level.

Yep, very good observation.

Any players from back in the day that had pace would blitz in modern football.

Keith Greig and Wayne Schimmelbusch would be superstars of the modern game.

Bill Barrott Ahead of his time as a centerman, elusive ,fit, raking accurate kick.

Kevin Bartlett Super quick, ball magnet, played across different eras and was a star

Peter Hudson huge backside and incredibly strong, would burn it up at ff

Leigh Mathews No more needs to be said

Disco Roach the marking of richo, but could kick.

Dyer from what I've read may have made it as a nasty onballer rather than ruck

He used to say that he started off being very agile for his size with good evasive skills, but did his knee and lost the sideways mobility he had and needed to resort to running through people rather than around them.

So better medicine and he may well have been renowned for his skills rather than his toughness. ( although in that era, toughness was a requirement too ).

I think if Jeff White and Daniel Bandy were coming into the league today, there'd be a fair bit of hype about them, and they'd probably be better suited to playing as forwards/pinch hit ruckmen in todays game than in the mid-'90s. As it was, people were pretty excited about the then-Docker pair around 1995-96 (described in a Craig Willis voiceover as "a pair of two-metre greyhounds" in That Was the Season That Was 1996). White eveolved into a full-time ruckman and ended up having a good career, but Bandy never really reachd his full potential. They were both pretty much like Rhys Stanley (athletic skinny two metre ruckman/forwards), but better.

And for the OP, even as a kid I used to think Rod Keogh was a good player, and wondered why he never seemed to get much of a go - played 82 of a possible 231 games (including finals) (35.50% of club games) in 10 seasons with Melbourne and St Kilda (1989-1998). Probably constant injury arising from his combative style that did him in. Stylistically, comparisons could be made to Luke Ball.

He used to say that he started off being very agile for his size with good evasive skills, but did his knee and lost the sideways mobility he had and needed to resort to running through people rather than around them.

So better medicine and he may well have been renowned for his skills rather than his toughness. ( although in that era, toughness was a requirement too ).

Sounds similar to Aaron Hamill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only rule Lethal would struggle with would be the head high bumps. He would still be dominate player today

Another player - Jason Dunstall would love the new "Arm chops" and push in the back rules - how many times did full backs of the past give the opposite number a gentle push so that there run at the ball would be thwarted. Today that would be a free kick - both he and Lockett may have come close to kicking 1500 goals throughout there careers.

i remember his stint between 1980 & 1986 where he was the best & certainly most consistent player in the league - if watson played a good game, essendon won. no one in the league could run with him.

won a lot of bets on them in those days.

I still find it amazing that Watson is overlooked by so many in 'best of' lists. Was our barometer. If he was on we inevitably won. Not far short of Hird in pure influence. Can add 1989 to his great years. Was the favourite for the Brownlow until some bloke called Couch bobbed up to win.

And more relevant to the thread I'd say that if LRT can make it in today's game then so too would Kevin Walsh...

I dunno about Lockett. He was a full-forward and that was about it. Generally speaking those guys get double and triple-teamed on a regular basis to nullify their threat these days. Just look at what happened to Rocca against Geelong a few years back. Not only did he get the double treatment but his defender (usually Scarlett) ran off him every chance he got.

I dunno about Lockett. He was a full-forward and that was about it. Generally speaking those guys get double and triple-teamed on a regular basis to nullify their threat these days. Just look at what happened to Rocca against Geelong a few years back. Not only did he get the double treatment but his defender (usually Scarlett) ran off him every chance he got.

with the new rules lockett would haved kicked alot more than he did,the forwards these days have it easy compared to lockett and abblet ect and running of lockett would be fraught with danger if you didnt hit a target as most teams wouldnt have 1 backman bigger enough for him let alone another one to cover the running fullback

Skills peaked in the mid 90's when the clubs stated picking Athletes over footballers, how many kids wouldn't make the grade at AFL camp but could dominate footy these days is unimaginable.

I guess players like Pods and Barlow are showing exactly that being picked up after being overlooked initially. I hope clubs try and reverse this trend to pick runners with big tanks as its definitely shown at my own club that its a path to ruin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back