Draft Expert PMBangers' 2021 Draft Board - Come for the R1 phantom (post #1591), stay for the Simpsons references

Remove this Banner Ad

Would you rather have one player from tier 2, or two players from tier 3?
Depends what the situation is but probably two tier 3 players, especially if I'm a club that's currently in finals like the lions

Agreed on Wilmot. I can’t see him not being a very good AFL footballer. Has all the right attributes. Hoping the dogs trade back up and nab him.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That wasn't my recollection of Mitch Grigg's junior footy even though it's a while ago now....endurance was his long suit and pace or lack thereof was his biggest issue.

I ddid a bit of checking back to convince myself my recollections were correct.

In fact he tested in the endurance events at the Combine in the top percentile back then 14.13 beep test and 10.29 3km time trial.

Yeah sorry I didn't make myself clear I wasn't referring to his athletic gifts but what he had actually done with him. I can only go on what numerous recruiters told me from a series of clubs and that was that he couldn't run sufficiently well to play in the AFL. Not his speed but his ability to cover the ground and that was why he wouldn't get a second crack. I mean clearly he has as much speed or more than Kennedy or Mitchell so it's hard to see that as his main issue. He suffered in the system more with the Charlie Constable issues.

I always thought Grigg was a bit stiff, sub a lot when they had that rule then stuffed his ankle. I remember he played a cracking game against West Coast, I think a bit more continuity with his football at AFL and he'd have played a lot more. Certainly has the skills and spatial awareness.

Bangers, JVR seems universally rated basically pick 20 onwards with exception being Davo who has him 15. What do you think would be the highest you can realistically seem him going?
I still think there's a chance he could go in that 10-15 bracket depending on how the earlier picks go and what clubs are looking for, he's probably more of a natural player than the other talls in first round contention (bar maybe Bazzo) and has the best aggression of the lot, arguably the highest workrate in the forward half as well, so he's got that going for him above others

I still think there's a chance he could go in that 10-15 bracket depending on how the earlier picks go and what clubs are looking for, he's probably more of a natural player than the other talls in first round contention (bar maybe Bazzo) and has the best aggression of the lot, arguably the highest workrate in the forward half as well, so he's got that going for him above others
Whats holding him back from being higher rated

I don't know about everyone else, but it's his lack of impact over a full game for me. He was rubbish for 2.5 quarters on the weekend, good for 0.5, and then utterly dominant for 1. I haven't seen a kid take over a game like JvR did in the fourth quarter against Swans for quite some time.

Athleticism is the main one for me, it's not bad but it's not a top KPP level, so I worry about how he translates at the next level if his natural smarts aren't as far ahead. I think he'll make it at the next level for what it's worth, but more of a 2nd or 3rd KPD

Do you prefer him or Bazzo as a KPD?
Bazzo but only slightly, when theres KPP prospects pretty close overall I tend to favour the one that looks more athletic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

G'day PMBangers, hope you are well mate. I was wondering if you could give some insight into Matthew Johnson. How is he as a contested mid and athletically moving through and out of traffic? Also, in your opinion, would he be a good fit for WCE at their first?

Thanks in advance

G'day PMBangers, hope you are well mate. I was wondering if you could give some insight into Matthew Johnson. How is he as a contested mid and athletically moving through and out of traffic? Also, in your opinion, would he be a good fit for WCE at their first?

Thanks in advance
Oh my hello Knifey Spoony, I am well and I extend the same wishes to you!

MJ is a good midfielder obviously as one of the higher ranked guys and an AFL Academy member, and given his height I think the expectation has been he'll be a Fyfe/ Cripps like mid. Whilst he is certainly capable of winning contested ball it's definitely not a speciality to the same degree as those two, he does tend to wait and receive around stoppages if possible. I think his real strength is around the ground impact rather than the contested game, in general play he can mark well and knows where to run to to win the ball, and follows up with clean use by foot or hand. His movement through traffic seems to be more game sense backed rather than athleticism, he's certainly not fast but knows his limits enough that he rarely gets caught.

It depends on who's available at the Eagles pick, but he'll be in that 'band' of talent that would fit in that region, and could even be one that rotates with SPS as he's effective forward as well

MJ is a good midfielder obviously as one of the higher ranked guys and an AFL Academy member, and given his height I think the expectation has been he'll be a Fyfe/ Cripps like mid. Whilst he is certainly capable of winning contested ball it's definitely not a speciality to the same degree as those two, he does tend to wait and receive around stoppages if possible. I think his real strength is around the ground impact rather than the contested game, in general play he can mark well and knows where to run to to win the ball, and follows up with clean use by foot or hand. His movement through traffic seems to be more game sense backed rather than athleticism, he's certainly not fast but knows his limits enough that he rarely gets caught.

It depends on who's available at the Eagles pick, but he'll be in that 'band' of talent that would fit in that region, and could even be one that rotates with SPS as he's effective forward as well
Why thank you PMBangers, you are a Gentleman and a Scholar

It's been a while and there's a bit too much positivity towards Bangers at the moment, so since I recall you needing this to keep your ego deflated.

You're a dodgy post-editing nuffy PMBangers

Last edited:
It's been a while and there's a bit too much positivity towards Bangers at the moment, so since I recall you needing this to keep your ego deflated.

You're a legend PMBangers
Don't know how that would deflate my ego, but cheers mate, always got time for the fans 🥰

I would listen to an episode of an ADC podcast if it was solely the whole workplace throwing each under the bus and ribbing each other like the Friday, Saturday and Sunday Rubs on Triple M.

Yeah, there might a bit of headwobbling going on but there's always gonna be the one person keeping all honest.

Sounds a little like Pendles.

Got notes coming up on the QLD v TAS U17's, U19's and WA v SA match as well so keep an eye out for those, for the SA U17s trial game below is the link and some of my favourites.

#9 Jack Delean (South Adelaide)
15/04/05 | 179cm | 65kg

One of the more well known 2023 draft talents, it’s no surprise that Delean led the game for goals, slotting three majors as arguably the most influential forward afield. Whilst Delean does a lot of good work inside 50, he pushed up the ground well to take marks on the wing or in the centre of the ground and generally looked to move the ball quickly inside 50. One play saw him quickly u-turn after a mark up the ground, run a few steps and kick long to a teammate that had stayed free inside 50 despite Yellow rebounding it earlier, showing strong game sense. Delean’s ability to get separation on the lead and his leading patterns are big parts of his game, as well as converting well from all areas of the 50 with his solid set shot routine and kick. A more underrated part of Delean’s game is his stoppage craft when he’s given the opportunity to be around them inside 50, having a few moments where he got first possession from the ruck tap.

#51 Harry Barnett (West Adelaide)
22/01/04 | 201cm | 92kg

Arguably the best player for the Team Blue, Barnett took some time to work into the game with some good bits of play in the first half, before really coming into his own in the second half as he started to get on top in the ruck contests. Barnett has a rare level of mobility and skill for such a tall player, with his kicking particularly damaging, it became difficult for Team Yellow to deal with as he gradually won more and more of the ball. At his height it’s no surprise that Barnett is a good mark, and he showed that with a couple of impressive contested grabs in the defensive goalsquare, as he worked back hard to be there and stop certain goals before quickly moving the ball on. By the end of the game, Barnett was spending more time up forward, where he took a good mark by pushing an opponent off him and taking the ball full stretch, slotting the goal from directly in front.

#18 Kobe Ryan (West Adelaide)
17/02/2004 | 183cm | 70kg

Far and away the best player afield on Friday night, Ryan has quickly established himself as a Top 10 prospect for next year’s draft. He had the ball on a string throughout the contest, showcasing a ridiculously high work-rate to rack up possessions all around the ground and at the contest. The West Adelaide midfielder proved tough as they come with some of his efforts at stoppages and under high balls, copping some big hits but getting back up and continually finding the ball. His balance through midfield is outstanding and his well-rounded game was compounded by the impact of two goals. He could have finished with even more and looked to have kicked the game-winner with a 50m bomb as the clock wound down, making good on his time as a permanent forward in term four. He would be a good shout to crack SA’s Under 19 side and can play just about anywhere.

pre trade period phantom.PNG
Pre-trade period first two round phantom, nothings any clearer really but the more I rewatch the games available to me I feel like I'm liking the draft class less and less weirdly enough. I think there's a lot of quality but some of the guys I have battling for my top 25/30 seem like they're not spoken about a lot, maybe that's me being a nuffy more than anything else though. Note this was done before trade radio rumours started

View attachment 1248067
Pre-trade period first two round phantom, nothings any clearer really but the more I rewatch the games available to me I feel like I'm liking the draft class less and less weirdly enough. I think there's a lot of quality but some of the guys I have battling for my top 25/30 seem like they're not spoken about a lot, maybe that's me being a nuffy more than anything else though. Note this was done before trade radio rumours started
Hough 🥰

View attachment 1248067
JHF and Bazzo.
That would be nice.
Thanks for the post mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back