Draft Expert PMBangers' 2021 Draft Board - Come for the R1 phantom (post #1591), stay for the Simpsons references

Remove this Banner Ad

Could you foresee any scenarios that has BFONE dropping to Essendon's first pick?
I'd be shocked if he got past West Coast but nothings completely out of the question

View attachment 1248067
Pre-trade period first two round phantom, nothings any clearer really but the more I rewatch the games available to me I feel like I'm liking the draft class less and less weirdly enough. I think there's a lot of quality but some of the guys I have battling for my top 25/30 seem like they're not spoken about a lot, maybe that's me being a nuffy more than anything else though. Note this was done before trade radio rumours started

Hi Bangers - this is my first post :) I think you should follow your own thoughts when it comes to your top 25/30. I've found most punters on BF follow like a flock of sheep - who knows within a few days everyone will start speaking about them lol. Cheers

View attachment 1248067
Pre-trade period first two round phantom, nothings any clearer really but the more I rewatch the games available to me I feel like I'm liking the draft class less and less weirdly enough. I think there's a lot of quality but some of the guys I have battling for my top 25/30 seem like they're not spoken about a lot, maybe that's me being a nuffy more than anything else though. Note this was done before trade radio rumours started
Where do you view Sinn's best position on GWS, at half back or maybe in the mids to offer more speed?

Where do you view Sinn's best position on GWS, at half back or maybe in the mids to offer more speed?
I'd want to see him move into the midfield eventually given his line breaking ability and kicking skill. He'd fit in well in our backline to start with, could play a similar role to Ash if we want to keep going with him as a midfielder

I'd want to see him move into the midfield eventually given his line breaking ability and kicking skill. He'd fit in well in our backline to start with, could play a similar role to Ash if we want to keep going with him as a midfielder
Yeah Ash is the player that comes to mind. Where do you view him compared to Ash as prospects when they were both coming through?

Yeah Ash is the player that comes to mind. Where do you view him compared to Ash as prospects when they were both coming through?
The year off for Sinn effects it obviously, I think Sinn has more midfield craft/ liklihood to become a permanent midfielder, and arguably a better kick, Ash stronger, and maybe more defensively accountable

View attachment 1248067
You don't think a bid comes for Port's F/S Jase Burgoyne before pick 40, my gut feel is it will?

Oh my it's all happening today, the two U19s champs games that were recently played;

andddddd some of my favourites;

#8 Jahmal Stretch (Claremont)
Like Harbour, Stretch was an emergency in game one and proved a much-anticipated addition to WA’s forward mix. He took some time to work into the contest but provided his usual glimpses of brilliance, leaping at the ball and showing great nous at ground level. He snared a couple of goals; one in the second term from an opportunistic toe-poke in the goalsquare, and the other from a classic front-and-centre rove inside 50. A Halls Creek native, Stretch is as exciting as small forwards come at his best and has many of the traits required for the position.

#14 Sam Gilbey (Claremont)
One of the impressive bottom-agers to come into WA’s line-up, Gilbey was a positive rebounding force for his side, particularly in the first half. He was caught holding the ball with one of his first possessions, but adjusted quickly and was hardly dismayed as he broke forward confidently. Gilbey chimed in for a couple of handy intercepts high up the ground and used his weaponous left-foot to send WA into attack, with the second quarter arguably his best.

#23 Matthew Johnson (Subiaco)
The recipient of WA’s best on ground medal, Johnson was a major ball winner around the ground for his side and generally used it well, being a key part of quite a few attacking plays, looking classy at times despite the scrappy nature of the contest, with his vision allowing him to hit line breaking handballs forward at times and catch SA off guard. Johnson’s positioning around stoppages was a highlight of his game and arguably the best of anyone on the ground, regularly winning first possession but generally being marked tightly by opponents, so getting wrapped up before he could get away. Johnson was directly involved in the final goal for the game, getting it inside forward 50 and staying composed to hand it off well to Jacob van Rooyen.

#24 Jedd Busslinger (East Perth)
Busslinger was arguably the best of the WA tall defenders across four quarters, consistently sticking with his opponents and managing to spoil when they got in front of him on the lead. His leap and read of the ball meant he was able to take some impressive intercept marks, generally following up with a smart disposal to the best option, often looking to handball it off to teammates who were running past or out in space. There were times where Busslinger found himself in trouble in two on ones or when he had been given a poor disposal from a teammate, but his composure stood out in those situations and he regularly got himself out well. Certainly one to watch for in the 2022 draft

#13 Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (Glenelg)
Wanganeen-Milera gave us more of what we’ve become accustomed to seeing from him. He used the ball with high class as we’d expect yet still managed some jaw-dropping moments, in particular a spearing kick off the side of his foot to set up Hugh Jackson for a shot on goal. His evasiveness with ball in hand was on full display again, as he repeatedly showed candy to his opponents before wheeling onto his left or right foot and delivering accurately to a teammate. He doesn’t need a lot of space to get his kick away and his delivery inside 50 in particular is sheer class. Wanganeen-Milera also had some moments where he showed some real footy IQ with some deft touches to keep the ball alive or to find a teammate in space. In South Australia’s best again, Wanganeen-Milera continues to impress every time he takes the field.

#21 Adam D’Aloia (WWT Eagles)
One of a few bottom age prospects that came into the side, D’Aloia was prolific through the midfield and was particularly effective at stoppage. He consistently found the footy and his disposal by hand to teammates outside the contest was largely effective. When he didn’t get his hands to the footy first his pressure at the contest was good and he laid a number of tackles that prevented Western Australia from exiting the stoppage. D’Aloia put in a super consistent four quarter performance and was one of South Australia’s best on the day.

#29 Harry Lemmey (West Adelaide)
An eye-catching performance from the key forward who looms as a Top 5 selection in next year’s AFL Draft. Looking not too dissimilar both in the way he moves and his blonde mop to Jack Lukosius, Lemmey was aggressive with his leading and used the ball with pinpoint precision going inside 50. His hands, disposal and decision making was terrific, and equally his defensive pressure inside 50 was welcome for a player of his size. He was unlucky to give away a free kick for a dangerous tackle, with a miskick in the third term the only real blemish for him. Other than his one miskick going inside 50, he hit up Dudley twice for goals, and converted one long-range set shot of his own, with perfect technique sailing over the goal umpires head in the third quarter. Strong hands as well, with a massive contested mark in the second term one-on-one.

#15 Cody Harrington (Broadbeach/Suns Academy)
9/10/2004 | 178cm | 70kg

One of three bottom-agers in the Queensland squad, Harrington worked into the game slowly but surely with some flashes of brilliance later in the piece. Harrington’s speed and agility are arguably his biggest strengths as he rotates through the forwardline and midfield, attacking the ball at speed and not flinching under oncoming pressure. One of Harrington’s best plays displayed this well, as he was nudged under the ball as it flew in, but got right back up and picked it up with opponents coming towards him from two directions, then accelerated away and had a shot from the boundary line which went just wide of the mark. Whilst playing primarily on the outside, Harrington will be a dangerous balanced option as he adds more size to his frame.

#18 Jaspa Fletcher (Sherwood/Lions Academy)
24/02/2004 | 179cm | 72kg

Whilst not accumulating massive amounts of the footy, Fletcher was classy and composed with the ball when he won it, not needing too much time to assess his options and then make a good decision with it – even in traffic. Fletcher showed a good amount of two-way running as well, often seen in the backline as a switch option or a handball receiver out of the contest and then running hard forward to be an option in transition. Fletcher kicked a goal where he ran onto a spilled ball out the front of a contest that had formed, tucking it under his arm and running his distance, before finishing from about 45 out.

#26 Toby Triffett (Morningside/Lions Academy)
24/02/2002 | 188cm | 85kg

Not necessarily flashy in his play but one that catches the eye through his sheer tenacity and will to win the ball at the coalface, when Triffett wasn’t the one getting first possession he wasn’t far behind the ball winner to apply a tackle, rarely having opponents escape his grip once he got hold. Triffett earned two vital holding the ball free kicks inside 50 during the day, with one being on the boundary line in a pocket, where he slotted it easily, and the other being on a flank where he kicked to a pack for a teammate to hold a mark.

The year off for Sinn effects it obviously, I think Sinn has more midfield craft/ liklihood to become a permanent midfielder, and arguably a better kick, Ash stronger, and maybe more defensively accountable

Very keen on the Crows going for Sinn, especially if we could drop slightly from ‘4’ to gain something else and still take him.

View attachment 1248067
First draft you have us passing on Goater. This draft you have us passing on Johnson. Goddamnit Bangers, you're doing this to troll me, aren't you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First draft you have us passing on Goater. This draft you have us passing on Johnson. Goddamnit Bangers, you're doing this to troll me, aren't you?
Me Eth? Me, trolling, now that doesn't sound at all like me!

Honestly though, for Essendon I just go by what I know eDPS would like, and I know he wouldn't like a relatively slow inside mid

Me Eth? Me, trolling, now that doesn't sound at all like me!

Honestly though, for Essendon I just go by what I know eDPS would like, and I know he wouldn't like a relatively slow inside mid
Who cares if he's slow? He suits us to a tee!

Who cares if he's slow? He suits us to a tee!
That's true, the other mids you have could probably cover it pretty well if he's given the right role, but still, take it up with eDPS

That's true, the other mids you have could probably cover it pretty well if he's given the right role, but still, take it up with eDPS
I have, multiple times

That’s how I feel about most phantom drafts Brisbane selections.
I'm trying to manufacture a way for Mac Andrew to slide to you haha.

In the nicest way possible, none of these phantoms matter, you can create your own exactly how you like 🥰
I always do mine after trade period so that the pick swaps are minimal.

Not sure we need another ruckman we basically have 3 now and if Cox joins that’s 4
My guess is that we would look at Andrew as a long term replacement for Daniher, and attempt to develop him as a forward ruck, who could play a similar role to what Jackson does at Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back