Port Adelaide…Contenders or pretenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Think the swans showed us where they are at last night
good one genius. if we had've played to our potential probably would have been more accurate. but obviously this was written pre that game. if you think that performance is where sydney are "at", then sydney are "at" a bottom 4 side. which isn't very accurate.

Look, we're probably not going to win the premiership or finish Top 4 from here. Best we can possibly hope for is 5th-8th and maybe make a Semi Final, or just hope that Melbourne, the Dogs, Geelong or Brisbane fall off a cliff in the second half of the season and we Bradbury our way into Top 4.

We have badly missed Lycett, Butters, Duursma and also recently Fantasia, Clurey and Marshall. We'll look pretty different with all those players back in the team.

Yes, because we would all like to have our best 22 on the field each week.

FFS, we haven’t had Talia, Crouch and Milera in our side all season! And yet we have beaten two of the top 4.

Cry me a river.

Yes, because we would all like to have our best 22 on the field each week.

FFS, we haven’t had Talia, Crouch and Milera in our side all season! And yet we have beaten two of the top 4.

Cry me a river.

You couldn't have got Geelong at a more perfect time. They'd beat you buy 15 goals if you played them this week. Melbourne had won 9 games in a row so they were due for a downer after being up for so many weeks. They'll easily account for you in the return bout this year.

Those players wouldn't make that much difference to your performances this year. Talia and Crouch played last year and you still won the spoon.

You couldn't have got Geelong at a more perfect time. They'd beat you buy 15 goals if you played them this week. Melbourne had won 9 games in a row so they were due for a downer after being up for so many weeks. They'll easily account for you in the return bout this year.

Those players wouldn't make that much difference to your performances this year. Talia and Crouch played last year and you still won the spoon.
Lucky we aren't pretending to be contenders

I think it’s the same as the previous 6-7 years. We have a great list of players that can look brilliant on any given day, but we simply aren’t anywhere near as well drilled as the top 3 or 4 teams

Yes, I said before the first round getting Geelong first up was our best opportunity and so it was. The Melbourne game, I will just laugh at you on that one. Oliver and Petracca had 30+ touches. We have like 13 players with less than 50 games playing in our games. Both games were good wins against good opposition at home. That is the reality.

You will realise in time, your best chance to win a flag was 2020. Two home finals, Vic teams in hubs and them having no home ground advantage and you still shat the bed. Well done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they are missing Butters and Lycett in a big way.

They have us in a couple of weeks. I'm not writing us off at all. We play Adelaide Oval pretty well and there's quite a few doubts around Port. Will be a good indicator of both where we and they are at I reckon.
Good call. As you say Swans do seem to play well in Adelaide and have troubled even stronger Port sides there. That said, it's a game Port ought to and need to win if their to be taken seriously. Assuming they do they may just sneak into 4th place with their favourable draw but at worst finish 5th or 6th. From there, and also assuming they get back most of their present outs, I'd rate them some chance of getting to another prelim final. But this time it's almost certainly in Melbourne against Richmond, Dogs or Melbourne. Wouldn't fancy them to go any further.

I don't rate Geelong based on their last 9 years of looking decent in the h&a season but being perennial finals failures. The Bulldogs defence will fail in September.

Cats got to a GF last year, more than what Port have been able to do since 2007.

Few good sides up the top end of the table, interesting how it plays out. Injuries and peaking at the right time will play a massive part.

They’re a good team and pretty consistent. They tend to take care of teams below them pretty reliably which gives them a good record. Butters will help but I think their midfield is too reliant on Wines and Boak and will get a bit overwhelmed by the top teams. Was at the game the other night and as a neutral thought the Cats were clearly the better team. Nine goals between Dixon and Rozee and they lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back