Review Port Adelaide 2023 Intraclub Match @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

I was there. I haven’t seen the replay yet but these thoughts have been in my mind since Friday:

Burgoyne was so good that he must play and that means others will have to be moved. Burton, Burgoyne, Houston with Aliir and Jonas are the locks in defence. DBJ is not in my best 22 but seems to be in the coaches’. That makes 6 with another tall needed. McKenzie was better than Clurey but either are very capable. Farrell is squeezed out but a perfect sub.

Jones is also squeezed out of defence but showed signs as a midfielder. Jones is a player who is probably just outside our best 22 at the moment but almost certainly a key contributor to our next premiership tilt and probably as a midfielder. A midfield of Wines, Rozee, Butters, Drew, Jones and Sinn over the next 10 years is mouthwatering. The Jones experiment must be persisted with for the greater good. There is a real squeeze on in the midfield with Mead, Drew, Bergman and Duursma all impressing on Friday.

Chad was correct about the game being scrappy and the transition from defence was poor. That is probably par for the course but with the sounds of 0-5 ringing in our ears and a tough first month, we need to start executing better in Perth. The Probables ought to be embarrassed by how well the White team played and how close they got.

I was there. I haven’t seen the replay yet but these thoughts have been in my mind since Friday:

Burgoyne was so good that he must play and that means others will have to be moved. Burton, Burgoyne, Houston with Aliir and Jonas are the locks in defence. DBJ is not in my best 22 but seems to be in the coaches’. That makes 6 with another tall needed. McKenzie was better than Clurey but either are very capable. Farrell is squeezed out but a perfect sub.

Jones is also squeezed out of defence but showed signs as a midfielder. Jones is a player who is probably just outside our best 22 at the moment but almost certainly a key contributor to our next premiership tilt and probably as a midfielder. A midfield of Wines, Rozee, Butters, Drew, Jones and Sinn over the next 10 years is mouthwatering. The Jones experiment must be persisted with for the greater good. There is a real squeeze on in the midfield with Mead, Drew, Bergman and Duursma all impressing on Friday.

Chad was correct about the game being scrappy and the transition from defence was poor. That is probably par for the course but with the sounds of 0-5 ringing in our ears and a tough first month, we need to start executing better in Perth. The Probables ought to be embarrassed by how well the White team played and how close they got.
IMO, the Whites were seriously helped by having Lycett ruck for them ... He looked 100x better than he did last year, and drove them forward on numerous occasions. If he can keep lifting his game like that he will deservedly be No 1 ruck.

Lycett was massive for the whites. Shows how important a dominant ruckman is - can even make a SANFL midfield look half decent.

As others have posted you could see we tried to play corridor football. That meant attempting higher risk kicks trying to hit a central target. Our foot skills let us down a few too many times.

I’m all in favour of playing fast paced corridor footy but you need good skills and decision making to make it work; without that we’ll get hit hard on the turnovers.

It's all very well and good to play high risk corridor football in an intra club practice match in February under no genuine pressure. The real challenge comes when you are 3 goals down in the first quarter against a good opponent in round 9 with a 4-4 win/loss ledger. Then what happens? I think we all know the answer.

It’s pretty standard of C cornes to not cover s**t with glitter. He cops a bit of stick on here but it’s why he was a pretty good coach for the magpies. He isn’t going to blow smoke up the players bums that’s for sure, so his comments were actually refreshing to hear rather than the usual “best pre season ever” nonsense you often hear every year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I love Chad! His brutal honesty is what's missing in footy today.

I remember the magpies losing a game in 2015 and him literally blaming the AFL listed players and I remember at 3 quater time him saying "if I could drop you to the SANFL reserves I would" and I always loved how much he called out the SANFL on their shitty rules.

Ryan Burton couldn't see much wrong:

The Power started last year 0-5 in a run that famously ended the club’s top eight chances early in the season.

But Burton – who hasn’t missed a game in the last two seasons – said the club has backed in the same processes.

“I haven’t noticed too much different. Every team says they go to a new level every pre-season and we’ve felt that,” the 26-year-old said.

“Personally, I feel as fit as I’ve been, and the team looks really good at the moment. We’ve tinkered a few things with the game plan and the boys are fit and firing, so it’ll be good to see exactly how the new implements come along this Friday.”

Lycett was massive for the whites. Shows how important a dominant ruckman is - can even make a SANFL midfield look half decent.
I just didn't see it that way, Lycett quite often touched the ball first and the centre bounces but those taps were generally ineffective resulting in immediate contested possession.

I just didn't see it that way, Lycett quite often touched the ball first and the centre bounces but those taps were generally ineffective resulting in immediate contested possession.
He absolutely destroyed Teakle and either directly took it from the ruck or directed it to a team-mate. He was dominant. If you're so inclined watch the game again and see how many times he got the ball to his team's advantage.

His team was full of sanfl players so they didn't always manage to convert that dominance to a clearance. Mead got on the end of it several times though.

I don't think he is a great ruckman but Teakle is several steps below him and it showed. Hayes also out reached Teakle several times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the hot spot is not going to be full forward Charlie but 40 metres out chf with Tod and the smalls over the back with Rioli . Georgiades leading out to half forward . SPP and Boak running up and back to the flanks at the back of the square . Bergman and Duursma running the wings . Allir , Burton , DBJ and Burgoyne trying to run it back into the corridor .

It's all very well and good to play high risk corridor football in an intra club practice match in February under no genuine pressure. The real challenge comes when you are 3 goals down in the first quarter against a good opponent in round 9 with a 4-4 win/loss ledger. Then what happens? I think we all know the answer.
Justin Westhoff to defence!

Looks like the hot spot is not going to be full forward Charlie but 40 metres out chf with Tod and the smalls over the back with Rioli . Georgiades leading out to half forward . SPP and Boak running up and back to the flanks at the back of the square . Bergman and Duursma running the wings . Allir , Burton , DBJ and Burgoyne trying to run it back into the corridor .
God I hope so.

I've been calling for years for Charlie to be the last resort bail out kick, not plan A.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

God I hope so.

I've been calling for years for Charlie to be the last resort bail out kick, not plan A.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Charlies job now should be to create carnage by hitting the pack, causing spills for the crumbers in Rioli and Fanta, this all depends on both of these smalls staying sound , in the case of fanta , we haven't had him on the park. Marshall has moved passed Charlie as the key forward and should be the priority lead up forward to hit, the long bomb to Charlie is plan B when Marshall is covered.

Sinn is cooked, wont play more than 10 games this year.

You just know they're gonna throw Teakle to the wolves as first ruck though
God I hope not. He will get destroyed.

he might be able to jump but the bigger stronger ruckman will jump into him and the ball will be in our backline at the blink of an eye

im not even sure he’s up to the level. looked out of his depth a couple of times late last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back