AFLW Port Adelaide AFLW (Team to enter in 2022 season)

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFLW needs clear air. People only have so much time to commit to watching football.

So you start in the bye week before AFL finals with all eyes on you. First few rounds are played during AFL finals where there is actually quite a bit of clear air because there's only a few games. Bulk of the season is in October and November where there is basically no sport at all (except the Sydney and Melbourne inner city elite horse racing wank off). Finals in December.
You make a good point.

Cricket becomes a problem though in this case. A home Ashes series is gonna take a lot of eyes away from AFLW if they try to run their big finals games against it.

I don't think anybody needs to worry about horse racing any more. It is dying as a mainstream sport and rapidly becoming niche.

The question remains though as to whether they should extend further in to the start of the AFL season or drop back.

Starting the AFLW season during AFL finals means its gonna be mighty tough for them to compete - especially for teams like the Dees now who are doing really well in both comps. Pushing in to the regular season makes more sense to me. A May grand final could do fine against round 10 in the AFL, even moreso if they can schedule it during bye weeks.

I disagree with the idea that if the men's team is doing well it kills some of the hype for the women's - in fact I'd argue it builds hype. Let's say you're a supporter and it's coming to the end of the season and you've sat top 4 all year, things are looking good, you're high on footy but it's the bye week, but oh look, the women's team is playing, you ride the hype into that game instead. Meanwhile on the flip side if your team is crashing and burning in the men's at least you've got something. I actually think it's quite clever.

As has been said, at least for now, AFLW probably does better with less distractions around them, and that part of the calendar is quite barren in terms of sports.

The biggest issues are probably when to get the finals happening to maximise interest and not get attention swallowed up by Cricket / tennis and even soccer / basketball, and I suppose to a lesser extent Round 2, when you'd have 9 AFLW games and 4 AFL finals games to schedule in the same weekend.

I disagree with the idea that if the men's team is doing well it kills some of the hype for the women's - in fact I'd argue it builds hype. Let's say you're a supporter and it's coming to the end of the season and you've sat top 4 all year, things are looking good, you're high on footy but it's the bye week, but oh look, the women's team is playing, you ride the hype into that game instead. Meanwhile on the flip side if your team is crashing and burning in the men's at least you've got something. I actually think it's quite clever.

As has been said, at least for now, AFLW probably does better with less distractions around them, and that part of the calendar is quite barren in terms of sports.

The biggest issues are probably when to get the finals happening to maximise interest and not get attention swallowed up by Cricket / tennis and even soccer / basketball, and I suppose to a lesser extent Round 2, when you'd have 9 AFLW games and 4 AFL finals games to schedule in the same weekend.
This is a good point - I guess I was thinking more about the actual time clashes (eg. both games are on a Saturday night), but now that I think about it, its unlikely and a little scheduling could avoid this scenario entirely.

This is a good point - I guess I was thinking more about the actual time clashes (eg. both games are on a Saturday night), but now that I think about it, its unlikely and a little scheduling could avoid this scenario entirely.
Yeah, I would be thinking they would avoid scheduling AFLW games at any of the designated AFL finals timeslots entirely to avoid this. So Semi and Prelim weeks you'd have women's games Saturday day and Twilight, all day Sunday and could even do a Thursday nighter if you want, but the Friday and Saturday night spots would be left for the men's. Grand Final week Gil mentioned maybe running all the AFLW games in Melbourne on the pre grand final public holiday they have which is pretty clever - makes it a big thing while saving clear air the Grand final. Its just that first finals weekend it gets pretty hectic, though I'm sure they'd manage it.

The women are saying they don't want to play in summer when its 35-40 degrees. I don't blame them.

At some point the AFL will have to stop trying to think it can dominate 12 months of the year. The ratings weren't great when AO and cricket was on in January.

W-League play the same season as A-league. Women's cricket plays at the same time of year that the men do. Basketball the same. Tennis and golf the same.

At some point, women's footy has to be strong enough to be played the same time of year the men's game is or a fair bit of overlap. After all, it is a winter sport.

That last bit is the real issue. AFLW has thus far existed without competition from the men's game but move it to an August start and suddenly fans are asked to choose. How many fans will to go to an AFLW game in preference to an AFL game?

Then there is the vexed question of media coverage, will the media give the AFLW as much coverage as they get at present when they are covering the start of the AFLW season at the same time as the AFL finals?

On top of that there is the question of the length of the season as next season, whenever it is, there will be full compliment of 18 teams and if they only play 10 minor round fixtures as has happened in the past it will mean seven sides that do not play each other. They could revert back to a two conference format but if they do that they will need to do a better job than a few years back when one conference was miles ahead of the other in ability. Maybe the best solution to all these problems is to play AFLW matches as curtain raisers to the AFL?

Plenty of questions that is for sure.

That last bit is the real issue. AFLW has thus far existed without competition from the men's game but move it to an August start and suddenly fans are asked to choose. How many fans will to go to an AFLW game in preference to an AFL game?

Then there is the vexed question of media coverage, will the media give the AFLW as much coverage as they get at present when they are covering the start of the AFLW season at the same time as the AFL finals?

On top of that there is the question of the length of the season as next season, whenever it is, there will be full compliment of 18 teams and if they only play 10 minor round fixtures as has happened in the past it will mean seven sides that do not play each other. They could revert back to a two conference format but if they do that they will need to do a better job than a few years back when one conference was miles ahead of the other in ability. Maybe the best solution to all these problems is to play AFLW matches as curtain raisers to the AFL?

Plenty of questions that is for sure.

I reckon the clubs, independent of the AFL have to sit down as a group and work out what they want to achieve with a women's comp. What do they feel comfortable doing? What do they think works best for them?

Once they have a consensus position, some clubs will have their noses a bit out of joint, but the clubs have to have a position they are all prepared to implement, and take that to the AFL.

The AFL will have a different agenda. They will be worried about world domination, TV/media deal maximisation, dominating media coverage, fast commercial growth, gender equality, pay equality, PR spin etc.

They then somehow combine these two agenda's so that everyone believes the game can advance as a separate comp, but part of the whole code progressing, and realising it will take time to achieve.

I know the women don't like it, but there is more chance of me attending a Port AFLW game as a curtain raiser to the A grade game, than going to watch a game at Alberton when its 30-35 degrees and I can be doing a whole lot of other things.

The AFL grew from the grass roots up, from local teams, to state comps, to a national comp, but with part timers to finally a full time professional national comp in 2000 after 140 years of the game progressing.

AFLW was imposed at the top to build the grass roots. So they have a bit of a Freddie Mercury / Queen complex - I want it all, and I want it now.

You can't have it all after 5 years compared to what took the blokes 140 years to get. Now it wont take 140 years to get there, but there has to be time for the game to develop properly, from the bottom up, not just top down, so it stands on its own 2 legs, with some help, and it doesn't chop and change all the time because some unrealistic HQ KPI's are set, and AFL executives attempt them to be met by tomorrow night.

Yes, I can see where the thought of playing a women's comp as a curtain raiser to the men's comp would raise the hackles among the female activists but I cannot see another alternative. Even if they start late in August then play 10 rounds plus finals they will still be going in December if they want a longer season they will be going into Christmas.

The idea of playing the women's as curtain raisers to the men's is always brought up, but, like, is there anyone it would genuinely be better for? Apart from and absolutely minute number of diehards, is there anybody out there sitting through a 3 hour slog in the middle of winter at Adelaide Oval going "man you know what would make this better? Making this 6 hours to watch 2 games".

I feel like it's not adding any meaningful benefit to what an AFL men's only fan is getting and just serving to quickly kill off the smaller community of AFLW only fans. Plus having the women run around in 50,000 seat stadiums with less than 10,000 spattered around the joint just seems poor.

I reckon AFLW is much better off embracing the grass roots feel it has, with its non professional players (hopefully the funds come in to get them pro soon enough) and every team having a proper local home ground. Lean into that I reckon, with a boutique stand alone comp. I think it is a lot more interesting that way.

The idea of playing the women's as curtain raisers to the men's is always brought up, but, like, is there anyone it would genuinely be better for? Apart from and absolutely minute number of diehards, is there anybody out there sitting through a 3 hour slog in the middle of winter at Adelaide Oval going "man you know what would make this better? Making this 6 hours to watch 2 games".

I feel like it's not adding any meaningful benefit to what an AFL men's only fan is getting and just serving to quickly kill off the smaller community of AFLW only fans. Plus having the women run around in 50,000 seat stadiums with less than 10,000 spattered around the joint just seems poor.

I reckon AFLW is much better off embracing the grass roots feel it has, with its non professional players (hopefully the funds come in to get them pro soon enough) and every team having a proper local home ground. Lean into that I reckon, with a boutique stand alone comp. I think it is a lot more interesting that way.
AFLW doesn't take 3 hours like the men's game. They have 15 minute quarters, they kick a lot less goals than men, so there is less 45 seconds commercial breaks for TV, I don't think they have goal line technology and waste so much time on reviews, the boundary umps and central umps don't waste as much time balling it up or throwing it in. The breaks aren't as long.

AFLW telecast goes for 2 hours which includes 10 minute preview and about 10 minutes at the end. The men's broadcast goes for 3 hours, a 10 minute preview and 5 to 15 minutes at the end.

For this Saturday arvo the electronic guide says the first final is on 7 between 2.30pm and 4.30pm.

I'd get to the ground around 5.30 maybe 15 minutes earlier, if the men's game started at 7.10, you know that the men would run on at 7.00pm, and you would hope they would let the women finish about 6.40-6.45, not this BS you have to give the guys 20 minutes to run around an hour before the game.

That way I would watch half a game at least, maybe a bit more. I'd get to know more players than if i don't go to Alberton in the summer to watch the women play and only watch a bit of the games on TV.

I might be in the minority, a small minority, but the clubs and the AFL have to work out who they want to market to, and who they want to show up to the games.

It why the first thing I wrote was the clubs have to get together, sit down as a group, independent of the AFL and work out what they want to achieve with a women's comp.

Port is banking of several thousand people rocking up in summer time to watch the girls play each game and make some $$$ after spending a few mill doing up the Port Club. I don't how much an August start changes those numbers, especially after novelty of the first year.

I have spoken to about 8 female port members who say they aren't really interested in watching a Port AFLW team or any AFLW. Only 2 I have spoken to have said they are keen. But that could all change quickly.

Last edited:
Yes, I can see where the thought of playing a women's comp as a curtain raiser to the men's comp would raise the hackles among the female activists but I cannot see another alternative. Even if they start late in August then play 10 rounds plus finals they will still be going in December if they want a longer season they will be going into Christmas.
The "activists" don't actually buy memberships or go to games anyway. They just like complaining.

AFLW doesn't take 3 hours like the men's game. They have 15 minute quarters, they kick a lot less goals than men, so there is less 45 seconds commercial breaks for TV, I don't think they have goal line technology and waste so much time on reviews, the boundary umps and central umps don't waste as much time balling it up or throwing it in. The breaks aren't as long.

AFLW telecast goes for 2 hours which includes 10 minute preview and about 10 minutes at the end. The men's broadcast goes for 3 hours, a 10 minute preview and 5 to 15 minutes at the end.

For this Saturday arvo the electronic guide says the first final is on 7 between 2.30pm and 4.30pm.

I'd get to the ground around 5.30 maybe 15 minutes earlier, if the men's game started at 7.10, you know that the men would run on at 7.00pm, and you would hope they would let the women finish about 6.40-6.45, not this BS you have to give the guys 20 minutes to run around an hour before the game.

That way I would watch half a game at least, maybe a bit more. I'd get to know more players than if i don't go to Alberton in the summer to watch the women play and only watch a bit of the games on TV.

I might be in the minority, a small minority, but the clubs and the AFL have to work out who they want to market to, and who they want to show up to the games.

It why the first thing I wrote was the clubs have to get together, sit down as a group, independent of the AFL and work out what they want to achieve with a women's comp.

Port is banking of several thousand people rocking up in summer time to watch the girls play each game and make some $$$ after spending a few mill doing up the Port Club. I don't how much an August start changes those numbers, especially after novelty of the first year.

I have spoken to about 8 female port members who say they aren't really interested in watching a Port AFLW team or any AFLW. Only 2 I have spoken to have said they are keen. But that could all change quickly.
This is all fair enough as the case for you and your circle, but as counter anecdotal evidence, my partner who has never been into footy will often ask what is happening in the women's league, and has also said in more than one occasion to me "it's a shame it's so cold when the football is on, if it was played on nice sunny days it would probably be nice going to them". The AFLW as it currently stands hits those boxes and I'm planning to bring her to a couple of Port games this season. Now, is it worth appealing to her exclusively? Hell no. But I wonder if there are plenty of other groups in a similar boat.

At the end of the day you are right though - there needs to be a discussion with all parties, most notably the players, about what they would want. If the players want a full length winter season, and are willing to take the highs and the lows from that, go for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My hunch is that the overlap between the audience for AFL and AFLW is not as large as some of your are assuming it is.

Hope we get an announcement soon about signing players.

Other new clubs have announced one each in the last couple of weeks.

A coach would be nice too !

The whole article is paywalled, but...

Lauren Arnell a chance to make history as Port Adelaide’s inaugural AFLW coach​

Never before has an AFLW player graduated to become an AFLW senior coach, but one of women’s footy’s trailblazers could be the first amid a flurry of women’s league activity.

Inaugural Carlton AFLW captain and Brisbane Lions premiership player Lauren Arnell has emerged as a contender to become Port Adelaide’s foundation senior coach in the national women’s league.
CodeSports understands that Arnell has been interviewed for the vacancy, with the Power set to finalise and announce their coach by the middle of April.

While there had been industry speculation that Collingwood coach Steve Symonds would return to his native South Australia to steer Port in their first season, he has committed to remain at the Magpies, who he has led to three consecutive finals series and where he remains contracted for next season.

Arnell is one of several candidates who have been involved in the Power’s process.

Should she claim the job, Arnell would make history as the first former AFLW player to graduate to the role of a senior AFLW coach.

The whole article is paywalled, but...

Lauren Arnell a chance to make history as Port Adelaide’s inaugural AFLW coach​

Never before has an AFLW player graduated to become an AFLW senior coach, but one of women’s footy’s trailblazers could be the first amid a flurry of women’s league activity.

Inaugural Carlton AFLW captain and Brisbane Lions premiership player Lauren Arnell has emerged as a contender to become Port Adelaide’s foundation senior coach in the national women’s league.
CodeSports understands that Arnell has been interviewed for the vacancy, with the Power set to finalise and announce their coach by the middle of April.

While there had been industry speculation that Collingwood coach Steve Symonds would return to his native South Australia to steer Port in their first season, he has committed to remain at the Magpies, who he has led to three consecutive finals series and where he remains contracted for next season.

Arnell is one of several candidates who have been involved in the Power’s process.

Should she claim the job, Arnell would make history as the first former AFLW player to graduate to the role of a senior AFLW coach.

I like this a lot if she is up to it... would make us the first to have an AFLW player as coach. Would have an insight no other coach has.

Someone that can grow in to it as well while we develop our list.

I like this a lot if she is up to it... would make us the first to have an AFLW player as coach. Would have an insight no other coach has.

Someone that can grow in to it as well while we develop our list.
Looked in to this a bit more...

She's a NINE time VWFL premiership player to go with one flag in the AFLW.

Basically the polar opposite of Ken.

Hopefully, fingers and toes crossed, Port select the most talented person available.

Appreciating Erin is a sentimental favourite but there is possibly a person with the skills and background who has genuine coaching skills. So far, the Club's senior appointments have been first class. A difficult decision which will have long lasting impact on Port's AFLW journey.

There may still be a definite role for Erin but hopefully emotion doesn't cloud judgement.

Self and Mrs Rexie are Foundation Members - moment to polish halo:grinv1:

Hopefully, fingers and toes crossed, Port select the most talented person available.

Appreciating Erin is a sentimental favourite but there is possibly a person with the skills and background who has genuine coaching skills. So far, the Club's senior appointments have been first class. A difficult decision which will have long lasting impact on Port's AFLW journey.

There may still be a definite role for Erin but hopefully emotion doesn't cloud judgement.

Self and Mrs Rexie are Foundation Members - moment to polish halo:grinv1:
Erin still has at least a season or two as a player. More than holding her own in the best 22 of the best side in the league right now. Let her be an on field leader.

Arnell for head coach! Lets do it

AFLW trade news: Port Adelaide set to announce coach, latest on Erin Phillips’ future​

Will Erin Phillips leave the Crows to join expansion club Port Adelaide? Get the latest AFLW trade news and whispers plus the hot favourite for Port Adelaide coach.

Port Adelaide could unveil its inaugural AFLW coach as early as Monday.

It’s understood the Power has settled on its choice after setting its sights on luring a recently-retired AFLW player to South Australia to take the role.

Moneyball is hearing that former Carlton captain and Brisbane premiership player Lauren Arnell is a red-hot favourite.

Collingwood women’s coach Steve Symonds had been linked to the role, along with a number of SANFLW head coaches, but Symonds made it known last week he would not be returning to Adelaide and was staying with the Magpies.

It’s understood Port wants to kick off its player announcements by unveiling high-profile, currently-listed AFLW players, but will hold off until the AFL finalises dates for the AFLW sign and trade period.

It’s widely expected that Crows star Erin Phillips will join Port after six successful seasons with Adelaide, joining the club where her father Greg enjoyed immense success.

But Phillips – the AFLW’s most decorated player – has remained tight-lipped on the speculation, instead focusing on trying to win her third premiership in the Crows tricolours against Melbourne at Adelaide Oval on Saturday.

Saturday looms as what could potentially be Erin Phillips’ last game as a Crow.
But it might not be the cross-town rival that you think that could first have the superstar player in its guernsey.
The basketball court, not a Port Adelaide AFLW guernsey, could be where Phillips turns next.

The two-time Olympic basketballer is expected to make a surprise return to the round ball in the AFLW off-season, signing up as a star recruit for the West Adelaide Bearcats — the club she played for as a junior.

And she’s taking a couple of Adelaide players to the hardcourt with her, with W-Award runner-up Anne Hatchard and rookie Jasmine Simmons also signing to play with the Bearcats.

But in a twist, the West Adelaide Bearcats are now connected to the Port Adelaide Football Club’s $30m redevelopment at Alberton Oval, with approved plans having two basketball courts built for use by the Bearcats.

But Phillips, who many believe will follow in her father Greg’s footsteps by joining the new Port Adelaide ALW outfit, said she was completely unaware that her junior basketball club would have a connection to Alberton.

Instead, she said she was excited to return to basketball, a game she loved.

( From: Herald Sun )

Remove this Banner Ad

Back