AFLW Port Adelaide AFLW (Team to enter in 2022 season)

Remove this Banner Ad

WCE women getting another flogging today - they're really struggling. Makes me worry a bit for our entry - WCE are a well resourced club and women's footy is well established in WA. Also, of the other new teams coming in next season, Essendon and Hawthorn have well established teams in the VFLW (don't know about Sydney) - we saw Essendon beat the Dogs by 90 odd points to nil last week, so the transition to the AFLW should be fairly smooth for them. Definitely need Erin plus a few other established AFLW players to make our side competitive.

WCE women getting another flogging today - they're really struggling. Makes me worry a bit for our entry - WCE are a well resourced club and women's footy is well established in WA. Also, of the other new teams coming in next season, Essendon and Hawthorn have well established teams in the VFLW (don't know about Sydney) - we saw Essendon beat the Dogs by 90 odd points to nil last week, so the transition to the AFLW should be fairly smooth for them. Definitely need Erin plus a few other established AFLW players to make our side competitive.
Mate I agree. It is a worry and we will need to be patient. As we can see, there is already a big gap between the foundation clubs and the rest. Foundation clubs with a 5 yr head start in most cases.

It’s so important our off field moves are right and we can recruit from other clubs a spine at minimum:
  • established forward
  • 2 experienced mids (1 top player in comp, maybe 1 who is on the way up) and 1 experienced wing (important with 16 on ground in AFLW)
  • established tall defender
  • small defender

Then we draft the best kids around this.

Mate I agree. It is a worry and we will need to be patient. As we can see, there is already a big gap between the foundation clubs and the rest. Foundation clubs with a 5 yr head start in most cases.

It’s so important our off field moves are right and we can recruit from other clubs a spine at minimum:
  • established forward
  • 2 experienced mids (1 top player in comp, maybe 1 who is on the way up) and 1 experienced wing (important with 16 on ground in AFLW)
  • established tall defender
  • small defender

Then we draft the best kids around this.
To me I'll be happy if we have:

Hatchard, Young, Phillips, and one other biggish recruit.

I think we can build around that to be competitive in our second or third year.

Jesus, two games in a row where there was a team that had a zero goal GAME.

Saints kick 2 points and GWS kick 5. That's an awful look.

Yay. Bring on four more teams next year to take advantage of the wealth of talent available.

Talent or unequal distribution ?

Both.

The four teams will come in, they'll no doubt poach players from other teams and the pawns will just shift around.

Equal distribution would create another issue in that all teams would then be equally s**t.

The expansion of AFLW ahead of its readiness to do so is just another example of today's society wanting everything right just now, instead of establishing a platform first.

Equal distribution would create another issue in that all teams would then be equally sh*t.

No. Actually it would be quite attractive with the natural champions standing out over the new comers.
The WAFL was extremely attractive to watch for this very reason then the AFL came along
with everyone trained up leading to tight tussles and less open attractive play.

Both.

The four teams will come in, they'll no doubt poach players from other teams and the pawns will just shift around.

Equal distribution would create another issue in that all teams would then be equally sh*t.

The expansion of AFLW ahead of its readiness to do so is just another example of today's society wanting everything right just now, instead of establishing a platform first.
It's not really a modern idea.

“Putting things off is the biggest waste of life: it snatches away each day as it comes, and denies us the present by promising the future. The greatest obstacle to living is expectancy, which hangs upon tomorrow and loses today. You are arranging what lies in Fortune’s control, and abandoning what lies in yours. What are you looking at? To what goal are you straining? The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.

– Seneca. On The Shortness of Life

“Remember how long you’ve been putting this off, how many extensions the gods gave you, and you didn’t use them. At some point you have to recognize what the world it is that you belong to; what power rules it and from what source you spring; that there is a limit to the time assigned you, and if you don’t use it to free yourself it will be gone and will never return.”

– Marcus Aurelius. Meditations.

Last edited:
Both.

Its worth noting that the level of the new draftees is massively increasing every year too, so the talent pool is increasing. Without question we will see at least a dip when the four new teams join, but it may not last as long as you might think.

It's not really a modern idea.

“Putting things off is the biggest waste of life: it snatches away each day as it comes, and denies us the present by promising the future. The greatest obstacle to living is expectancy, which hangs upon tomorrow and loses today. You are arranging what lies in Fortune’s control, and abandoning what lies in yours. What are you looking at? To what goal are you straining? The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.

– Seneca. On The Shortness of Life

“Remember how long you’ve been putting this off, how many extensions the gods gave you, and you didn’t use them. At some point you have to recognize what the world it is that you belong to; what power rules it and from what source you spring; that there is a limit to the time assigned you, and if you don’t use it to free yourself it will be gone and will never return.”

– Marcus Aurelius. Meditations.
"You bloody kids wanting everything now now now. In my day patience was a virtue!"

- Seneca's Dad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There has been a bit of talk on SEN the last two weeks that the 2022/2023 season scheduled to start in December might actually start in September and today I heard August, but I'm thinking only in August if that is the bye week between Rd 23 and finals.

At this stage, Rd 23 is supposed to start Friday 19th August.

If that is the case, the club ( and the other expansion teams) has 3 less months to get its act together. That could be a significant disadvantage in the first season.

Discussed in this Herald-Sun article, but not much more info - apparently the club presidents all met today...

All but confirmed in this Age article:

"The decision was contingent on the approval of all clubs, and in particular on the approval of the four new clubs to the competition next season, that they would be able to be ready to join the league in August."

Last edited:
Its a really strange timing...

On the one hand it means its really gonna be hard to get attention from fans whose AFL team is playing in September. On the other hand those outside the 8 get to immediately continue to watch their club play.

It's just so obvious that it should run 100% of the time in the AFLM off season. The competition has to start and finish sometime between October and February inclusive. I can only assume the reason this doesn't happen is because the AFL, club and media clique want to guarantee themselves extended paid holiday opportunities at some point and so that might run things a bit tight.

So are our girls in this year now or do we still start next year?

So are our girls in this year now or do we still start next year?
They will start either December which was proposed when 4 expansion teams won their licence, or in August if the new recommendations are accepted. Read a few posts above yours.

They will start either December which was proposed when 4 expansion teams won their licence, or in August if the new recommendations are accepted. Read a few posts above yours.
Yeah, I read your post… wasn’t sure if it has been confirmed by the club that we will enter early or if it’s still just rumblings in the media.

It's just so obvious that it should run 100% of the time in the AFL off season. The competition has to start and finish sometime between October and February inclusive. I can only assume the reason this doesn't happen is because the AFL, club and media clique want to guarantee themselves extended paid holiday opportunities at some point and so that might run things a bit tight.
The women are saying they don't want to play in summer when its 35-40 degrees. I don't blame them.

At some point the AFL will have to stop trying to think it can dominate 12 months of the year. The ratings weren't great when AO and cricket was on in January.

W-League play the same season as A-league. Women's cricket plays at the same time of year that the men do. Basketball the same. Tennis and golf the same.

At some point, women's footy has to be strong enough to be played the same time of year the men's game is or a fair bit of overlap. After all, it is a winter sport.

The question remains though as to whether they should extend further in to the start of the AFL season or drop back.

Starting the AFLW season during AFL finals means its gonna be mighty tough for them to compete - especially for teams like the Dees now who are doing really well in both comps. Pushing in to the regular season makes more sense to me. A May grand final could do fine against round 10 in the AFL, even moreso if they can schedule it during bye weeks.

The AFLW needs clear air. People only have so much time to commit to watching football.

So you start in the bye week before AFL finals with all eyes on you. First few rounds are played during AFL finals where there is actually quite a bit of clear air because there's only a few games. Bulk of the season is in October and November where there is basically no sport at all (except the Sydney and Melbourne inner city elite horse racing wank off). Finals in December.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back