Port Adelaide. The real deal or pretenders?

Remove this Banner Ad

How come? We've been quite humble despite all of our success and being reigning premiers.
Hate to imagine what your fans would be like after having a similar run of success. Richmond have been bad enough.
Yeah, can't for the life of me understand it.

We have some trolls, but so does every club. The only difference is the drivel that those trolls are spouting might actually come true.

Similar to Collingwood, a huge portion of Cats supporters are old enough to remember the darker years, and they know far better than to count their chickens before they've hatched.

Sure, we might have some arrogant supporters who are under 20 years of age....but is that how we're judging supporter groups now? Kids?

It's such a weird concept to hate those who are successful in a competition like the AFL, which is built on equalisation through a salary cap and draft.

It's not about who is the richest, or the most powerful like it is in Europe. It's about who is well run and takes the opportunities afforded to them.

I admire clubs like West Coast, Hawthorn, Richmond, Collingwood and my own for reasons like this.

If you want to hate anyone, hate your own executives who keep ******* up your club.

Tarps were a flow on effect from Port's 2007 grand final loss.
Port didn't recover from the 2007 grand final loss until after Koch and Ken had arrived.
They were in trouble financially and management wise before that Grand final, and Koch and obviously Hinkley had nothing to do with the move to Adelaide Oval, which really helped them. Not sure about this Hinkley white knighting. Maybe it's a Geelong bias or something? Terry Wheeler probably wishes he had white knights for him in 1994, after "saving Footscray" from folding.

Firmly believe if the Pies get Port in finals it’ll be by 4+ goals.
Rested players, had motivation to be up for it given the chat earlier in the week and had clearly set themselves for this one quite some time ago given the round 2 belting.
Had everything going for them on the weekend and came up just short, don’t expect them to be there on grand final day but future looks bright.
Butters and Rozee are superstars.
The future looked bright for them, 10 seasons ago, after that loss to Hawthorn in the preliminary final. Don't count on the future.

And I would think Collingwood are a shoe-in for the premiership, I thought that since near the beginning of the year. But I've been proven wrong so many times, 2008 was the biggest surprise I think. If Port had better coaching and management, they probably could challenge Collingwood.

They were in trouble financially and management wise before that Grand final, and Koch and obviously Hinkley had nothing to do with the move to Adelaide Oval, which really helped them. Not sure about this Hinkley white knighting. Maybe it's a Geelong bias or something? Terry Wheeler probably wishes he had white knights for him in 1994, after "saving Footscray" from folding.
The turnaround started with Tim Ginever and George Fiacchi that launched the One Club initiative to merge the Port Adelaide Football Club and Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club.

This was to remove the duplication of administration and logistics to save costs and unify assets.

In case your asking, the SANFL forced Port to create a separate entity in the SANFL as a part of the terms for the AFL sub licence in 1997.

The financial issues were the result of the club financing 2 separate entities as well as one of the worst stadium deals in Australia. Also not being able to secure lucrative sponsorship deals put the club at a huge financial risk.

Enter the AFL who then took control of Port, who appointed Keith Thomas as CEO and David Koch as president along with the Adelaide Oval move turned the club around off the ground.

The turnaround started with Tim Ginever and George Fiacchi that launched the One Club initiative to merge the Port Adelaide Football Club and Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club.

This was to remove the duplication of administration and logistics to save costs and unify assets.

In case your asking, the SANFL forced Port to create a separate entity in the SANFL as a part of the terms for the AFL sub licence in 1997.

The financial issues were the result of the club financing 2 separate entities as well as one of the worst stadium deals in Australia. Also not being able to secure lucrative sponsorship deals put the club at a huge financial risk.

Enter the AFL who then took control of Port, who appointed Keith Thomas as CEO and David Koch as president along with the Adelaide Oval move turned the club around off the ground.
Port aren't far behind the Crows in terms of support numbers these days. They were always a long way behind the Crows before Koch and Ken arrived.
Koch and Ken deserve credit for Port being able to significantly bridge the gap.

Port have had a lot more money and resources since Koch and Ken have been at the club compared to before they arrived.
This is because Koch is a financial guru.

I reckon if they had their time again, they wouldn't have taken the Carlton game so lightly and ensured they fielded a team capable of getting the 4 points.

Big error which could lead to them losing second position on the ladder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon if they had their time again, they wouldn't have taken the Carlton game so lightly and ensured they fielded a team capable of getting the 4 points.

Yes, it was a huge error in judgment to not play injured players. I also think Brisbane not playing Ashcroft for the rest of the season is a big error on their part.

Port aren't far behind the Crows in terms of support numbers these days. They were always a long way behind the Crows before Koch and Ken arrived.
Koch and Ken deserve credit for Port being able to significantly bridge the gap.

Port have had a lot more money and resources since Koch and Ken have been at the club compared to before they arrived.
This is because Koch is a financial guru.
I think this is bait.

If it were a final, most of them would have played.
I must say I'm confused why a member of Port's medical staff would be posting on Bigfooty and supporting Collingwood?

Again with this fallacy? Pray tell, which of the following would you not have made?

Lycett best 22 ruck back in for Hayes
Lord in for an clearly injured Dixon
Jonas in for an injured McKenzie
Burgoyne in for an unavailable Rioli
Mead in for a injury restricted Horne Francis
Duursma when fit is best 22 back in for Narkle

Screenshot_20230726_130807.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back