2nds Port Adelaide vs Sturt - Grand Final @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Chuggspenberthyswizza ever thank us for Beard and Kirkwood?
I always rated Beard when he played for the Maggies. We played him in the back lines and from what I remember he was one of the best contested marks in the sanfl. I always thought that he may have got a full or rookie listing with the Power but I guess they saw something missing in his game that would have made him an afl player. Too late now as that boat has left the wharfe!

I always rated Beard when he played for the Maggies. We played him in the back lines and from what I remember he was one of the best contested marks in the sanfl. I always thought that he may have got a full or rookie listing with the Power but I guess they saw something missing in his game that would have made him an afl player. Too late now as that boat has left the wharfe!

They looked at him 4 years ago and questioned his work rate.
I would have swapped him for our full forward yesterday in a heartbeat

I disagree. I don't know if he doesn't have the tank and that's why his game time is down but look at the Gold Coast game, the commentators were oozing how he will be in for the year, next week DROPPED.

Scapegoated for the Essendon loss.

I still don't believe he's truly had a decent extended run at it. I can see how people have a counter argument but that's how I see it.

He has weapons just not used well enough or looked at as a regular option enough.

I think Ah Chee is a victim of our good run with injuries and Ken's LIFO midfield policy. With Powell-Pepper effectively taking Boaks midfield spot, and with no injuries to any of our midfielders, his opportunities were small this year. And in the first game where our entire midfield got dacked he was the last one in and so was the first to be dropped. I can't see him ever getting a good run until at least two of our regulars are injured or in atrocious form.

Actually - I take that back. The flags were definitely going to the northern end so I guess he did win the toss and kick with the wind (which ended up being more swirly than favoring any one end).
The wind was pretty much due west, ie straight across the ground, for most of the game so was swirly coming around the Western Stand. It was probably easier kicking to the southern end because there is only a small gap between the Western Stand and the Riverbank Stand.

I've found the flags on the scoreboard to be misleading as to true wind direction.

The wind was pretty much due west, ie straight across the ground, for most of the game so was swirly coming around the Western Stand. It was probably easier kicking to the southern end because there is only a small gap between the Western Stand and the Riverbank Stand.

I've found the flags on the scoreboard to be misleading as to true wind direction.
True. I only saw the last quarter of the Reserves game and Westies definitely out scored the blue baggers when going to the river end.
Perhaps an earlier kick & catch would have sorted out that problem!

They looked at him 4 years ago and questioned his work rate.
I would have swapped him for our full forward yesterday in a heartbeat
Perhaps a new thread - Brett out and Kory in. By the way Kory is still only 27 and we have a bit of history in trying these mature players!

Sturt guy sits next to me and the first thing he says is to ask if I was at the 1976 final.

There was one on the Port train who kept telling people he was hoping the crows would winand had to keep correcting himself. His Sturt scarf looked awfully new.

Yep we were all wondering what was going on there. Was typical SANFL organization right there.

Ah, another one for "that list":

Military intelligence
Friendly fire
Sales force
Liquid gas
Microsoft support
Unbiased opinion

and now...

SANFL organization

You've been a fan of Ken's. R u still confident he is the right man?

Because we lost a sanfl grand final? Short answer is yes, and I've given my reasons in a couple of threads already. It does rely a bit on what I expect to see happen next year though.

As for this game, I was shattered after the loss. Like the West Coast game, there were a million ways we could have won it and a million and one ways we could have lost it. But for all that, you couldn't be much prouder of this team to get where they did and fight this game out they way they did. How could your heart not burst with pride at Brendon Ah Chee barely able to walk slotting a critical goal and collapsing to the ground as he kicked the ball?

But when you consider we rebuild this team every year and coming into finals we have to rebuild it again. We lost Billy Frampton on the eve of finals which stuffed our forward structure, as did losing Krakouer to injury. A couple of guys look like AFL careers are done and played like it. We brought 4 players in from the AFL league side who hadn't played sanfl for weeks. And they all struggled, except maybe Bonner who worked his way into the game. But Howard dropped a bucketful of marks, Marshall was quiet and missed his couple of opportunities and Neade missed walk in goals.

Sturt were defending premiers, had a relatively settled side, had a massive run into the finals on the back of their home and away form. They played a Sydney style of around the ground contested footy with a couple loose at the back. And as Port supporters should know, finals experience counts for a lot on the big day. In a game decided by tiny breaks, Sturt had a couple more than us and it was all they needed. 14 frees to 21 in a game decided by 1 point didn't help either, but we knew that was coming.

This isn't a game to find reason for fault with everything Port Adelaide do. This was a game fought from trench to trench for 4 quarters decided by the barest of margins. I salute the mix of young AFL up and comers, fringe players and sanfl squad members for getting as close as they did. Maybe that makes me a bad Port supporter because I won't spit on the graves of players who didn't win a premiership but don't tell me these guys didn't fight out the Fos Williams credo with every ounce of their bodies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps a new thread - Brett out and Kory in. By the way Kory is still only 27 and we have a bit of history in trying these mature players!

There is no way Korey Beard is good enough for AFL but we should pick him just to piss them off, he can take Brett Eddy's rookie spot.

Because we lost a sanfl grand final? Short answer is yes, and I've given my reasons in a couple of threads already. It does rely a bit on what I expect to see happen next year though.

As for this game, I was shattered after the loss. Like the West Coast game, there were a million ways we could have won it and a million and one ways we could have lost it. But for all that, you couldn't be much prouder of this team to get where they did and fight this game out they way they did. How could your heart not burst with pride at Brendon Ah Chee barely able to walk slotting a critical goal and collapsing to the ground as he kicked the ball?

But when you consider we rebuild this team every year and coming into finals we have to rebuild it again. We lost Billy Frampton on the eve of finals which stuffed our forward structure, as did losing Krakouer to injury. A couple of guys look like AFL careers are done and played like it. We brought 4 players in from the AFL league side who hadn't played sanfl for weeks. And they all struggled, except maybe Bonner who worked his way into the game. But Howard dropped a bucketful of marks, Marshall was quiet and missed his couple of opportunities and Neade missed walk in goals.

Sturt were defending premiers, had a relatively settled side, had a massive run into the finals on the back of their home and away form. They played a Sydney style of around the ground contested footy with a couple loose at the back. And as Port supporters should know, finals experience counts for a lot on the big day. In a game decided by tiny breaks, Sturt had a couple more than us and it was all they needed.

This isn't a game to find reason for fault with everything Port Adelaide do. This was a game fought from trench to trench for 4 quarters decided by the barest of margins. I salute the mix of young AFL up and comers, fringe players and sanfl squad members for getting as close as they did. Maybe that makes me a bad Port supporter because I won't spit on the graves of players who didn't win a premiership but don't tell me these guys didn't fight out the Fos Williams credo with every ounce of their bodies.

You make way too much sense !
The only thing I will add is tbe game style is not going to win finals, we went long and quick in to the forward line in the last quarter and blow me down 4 goals in a hurry. To much short precision type disposal giving Sturt time to cover our players and 25 points total score at 3/4 time not good enough

Can't bring myself to read the whole thread, but I'm sure my opinion has been echoed by more than one person.

The Maggies yesterday played much like the AFL side for the majority of the season; poor skills, turnovers, no forward structure, missed opportunities.

It's also alarming at how many young players have either stalled or gone backwards in their progress (thinking Austin, Palmer, Johnson, etc).

There was one on the Port train who kept telling people he was hoping the crows would winand had to keep correcting himself. His Sturt scarf looked awfully new.
I had a couple of kids behind me tried to get a power chant going the eldest looked pretty embarrassed by the whole situation

I was at the Carbine Club SANFL GF luncheon on Thursday. They interviewed Jack and Kerls on stage and asked them both about the modern game. Kerls' biggest gripe was people coming off after they kick a goal. Jack said he couldn't understand why they kick it to the pockets instead of the goal square. He said it's a game of percentages and hitting the pockets decreases the percentages too much. Hard to argue...

Get him back in as a consultant to our coaches. There is genius in his simplicity. 10 from 10 says so...

I was at the Carbine Club SANFL GF luncheon on Thursday. They interviewed Jack and Kerls on stage and asked them both about the modern game. Kerls' biggest gripe was people coming off after they kick a goal. Jack said he couldn't understand why they kick it to the pockets instead of the goal square. He said it's a game of percentages and hitting the pockets decreases the percentages too much. Hard to argue...

Get him back in as a consultant to our coaches. There is genius in his simplicity. 10 from 10 says so...

There is no way we would have lost if he was coaching.

So disappointed in Austin and Eddy.

If Eddy actually showed up we wouldn't have thrown Howard forward late, then Austin wouldn't have been left by himself in the backline to crap himself like he normally does.

I wonder how much easier this would be to take if the AFL side was called the Magpies and wore the Prison Bars jumper and the SANFL side was called the Magpies reserves. Pretty much what the club pitched a few decades ago when trying to get into the AFL.

Due to the AFL side being called the Power with a different jumper I still have the SANFL entitys Magpies name/Prison Bars close to my heart and hope it never dies off.

I'd assume if our pitch went through all those years ago an SANFL win would mean as much as an Academy win does to me nowadays.

I wonder how much easier this would be to take if the AFL side was called the Magpies and wore the Prison Bars jumper and the SANFL side was called the Magpies reserves. Pretty much what the club pitched a few decades ago when trying to get into the AFL.

Due to the AFL side being called the Power with a different jumper I still have the SANFL entitys Magpies name/Prison Bars close to my heart and hope it never dies off.

I'd assume if our pitch went through all those years ago an SANFL win would mean as much as an Academy win does to me nowadays.

I know what you mean. I still love the Magpies / prison bars and it would kill me to think of them not around.

Sturt were defending premiers, had a relatively settled side, had a massive run into the finals on the back of their home and away form. They played a Sydney style of around the ground contested footy with a couple loose at the back. And as Port supporters should know, finals experience counts for a lot on the big day. In a game decided by tiny breaks, Sturt had a couple more than us and it was all they needed. 14 frees to 21 in a game decided by 1 point didn't help either, but we knew that was coming.

I haven't seen the game as I'm in Italy so only listened to the last qtr and parts of the third on the radio. So I didn't mean this game, was referring to the whole season and was curious to see if you still backed Ken given how it ended. No offence intended.

I haven't seen the game as I'm in Italy so only listened to the last qtr and parts of the third on the radio. So I didn't mean this game, was referring to the whole season and was curious to see if you still backed Ken given how it ended. No offence intended.

I wasn't offended, but now I'm jealous! I think Rome would be far preferable to Adelaide especially this week!

I wasn't offended, but now I'm jealous! I think Rome would be far preferable to Adelaide especially this week!
In Venice actually, skipped Rome. Wasn't expecting Port to make finals this year so organised the trip in September. But back GF eve as I wasn't expecting the Crows to be there. Ouch, need to extend holiday. Lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back