AFLW Port Adelaide AFLW (Team to enter in 2022 season)

Remove this Banner Ad

yes the club is playing 4d chess and every move is a masterstroke and beyond reproach.

i've read a janus post before.

I never said that. What I'm saying is if the AFL says that there's only room for one women's team in SA because of the lack of talent, we can either a) bitch and moan about it, applying for a licence that we're never gonna get or b) control the narrative by saying that we are gonna concentrate on building the pathways to the elite level and apply when the time is right.

The club obviously wants to be a part of it but there's nothing we can do about it right now. It's not our fault the game in this state has been neglected by the fat cats at the SANFL.

F#cking crickets.

They're too busy bleating about SA Govt funds going towards the China game or how Mr Gui will ask for money back that isn't spent on developing the game in China.

I never said that. What I'm saying is if the AFL says that there's only room for one women's team in SA because of the lack of talent, we can either a) bitch and moan about it, applying for a licence that we're never gonna get or b) control the narrative by saying that we are gonna concentrate on building the pathways to the elite level and apply when the time is right.

The club obviously wants to be a part of it but there's nothing we can do about it right now. It's not our fault the game in this state has been neglected by the fat cats at the SANFL.
Well read this WTF
http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/02/19/11/53/sa-gives-funds-to-the-crows/?ocid=9newsafb

AFL officials will ask the Stadium Management Authority and State government to waive the $60,000 fee for opening Adelaide Oval if the Crows earn hosting rights to the first AFLW grand final.
This is to allow the AFL to keep free entry at the gate for the premiership play-off on Saturday, March 25, in line with the fan-friendly policy at AFLW round-robin games.
The $60,000 management fee - to cover the cost of security, gate staff, car park ushers and venue operators - would be easily recouped by the SMA in bar and food sales at the Oval where the Crows could attract at least 30,000 to an AFLW grand final.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...l/news-story/6bcb396c36c3bb89977b3e070028e9b5

So now they want a free ride into Adelaide Oval .. what next
Maybe the AFL should charge $5 entry to the game to go towards costs.

AFL officials will ask the Stadium Management Authority and State government to waive the $60,000 fee for opening Adelaide Oval if the Crows earn hosting rights to the first AFLW grand final.
This is to allow the AFL to keep free entry at the gate for the premiership play-off on Saturday, March 25, in line with the fan-friendly policy at AFLW round-robin games.
The $60,000 management fee - to cover the cost of security, gate staff, car park ushers and venue operators - would be easily recouped by the SMA in bar and food sales at the Oval where the Crows could attract at least 30,000 to an AFLW grand final.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...l/news-story/6bcb396c36c3bb89977b3e070028e9b5

So now they want a free ride into Adelaide Oval .. what next
Maybe the AFL should charge $5 entry to the game to go towards costs.
The AFL want the GF to be free just like all the home and away games. If they aren't going to charge entry then why not ask for the opening fee to be wavered. The same thing will happen if the game is played in anyone of the other 4 states.

KT CEO's message confirms the club's stance on the women's comp and the original planning by the AFL was 2020 - but Gill needed a legacy and a good news story after 3 years of the Essendon saga.

Part of the footy program includes our women’s team in the SA Women's Football League - this is our club's current contribution to the extraordinary growth of the AFL women’s game in this country.

I have been asked many times how the club feels about not being involved in the inaugural AFLW season. It’s quite simple really.

We have been super impressed with the progress of the women’s game this year, and we applaud the AFL’s commitment to opening up the game to young female competitors across Australia. Having watched the reaction, there is certainly an argument to suggest that the initiative was long overdue!

I am personally also really enjoying watching Erin Phillips live out her dream to play competitive footy as an adult. It's a great story.

Having said that, we are more than happy to be concentrating on our own agenda, which involves among other important things, winning games of AFL and SANFL footy to find our way back into the finals of both competitions, launching AFL football in China by playing the first game for points outside of Australia and New Zealand, and building on our industry-leading community programs. It’s a big agenda.

When the new women’s competition was first mooted, we thought that the launch would be in 2020. When that date became 2017, we were already well on the way with our plans for China and simply could not take on another major initiative.

I suspect there will an opportunity to field a national women’s team somewhere down the track, and if that opportunity presents itself we will assess it.

But for now, we’re very happy to be pushing ahead with our own plans.

Last edited:
One mum (Ch 9 reporter) hoping Port get a team in a few years time so her girls who made the state u/16 team have a proper team to play for.

Last edited:
KT CEO's message confirms the club's stance on the women's comp and the original planning by the AFL was 2020 - but Gill needed a legacy and a good news story after 3 years of the Essendon saga.

Part of the footy program includes our women’s team in the SA Women's Football League - this is our club's current contribution to the extraordinary growth of the AFL women’s game in this country.

I have been asked many times how the club feels about not being involved in the inaugural AFLW season. It’s quite simple really.

We have been super impressed with the progress of the women’s game this year, and we applaud the AFL’s commitment to opening up the game to young female competitors across Australia. Having watched the reaction, there is certainly an argument to suggest that the initiative was long overdue!

I am personally also really enjoying watching Erin Phillips live out her dream to play competitive footy as an adult. It's a great story.

Having said that, we are more than happy to be concentrating on our own agenda, which involves among other important things, winning games of AFL and SANFL footy to find our way back into the finals of both competitions, launching AFL football in China by playing the first game for points outside of Australia and New Zealand, and building on our industry-leading community programs. It’s a big agenda.

When the new women’s competition was first mooted, we thought that the launch would be in 2020. When that date became 2017, we were already well on the way with our plans for China and simply could not take on another major initiative.

I suspect there will an opportunity to field a national women’s team somewhere down the track, and if that opportunity presents itself we will assess it.

But for now, we’re very happy to be pushing ahead with our own plans.
Bloody AFL had to bring it forward ..

Koch in his comments about an AFL national reserves comps and the Magpies in the SANFL also made some comment about our women's team in the SANFL. SANFL boss Jake Parkinson responded.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...r/news-story/ebf45d75dc6f41ad498ae394365725c8
Responding to Power chairman David Koch’s claims the SANFL was making it harder for the club to belong to the state league, while also meeting with resistance in its desire to have an SANFL women’s side, Parkinson said they were Koch’s opinions. However, Parkinson said the Power had put forward applications for changes to the regulations and some had been accepted at the annual review which proved beneficial to the club.

The women’s competition is a state-based league which develops players to play at SANFL level and hopefully in the AFLW, according to Parkinson, and each club had a development zone.

“An important aspect of a zone is being able to move through a talent path and to do that in SA you need to move through the eight SANFL clubs,” Parkinsons said. “Port Adelaide does not have a zone so is not part of that at present. “That is not to say they will never play in the SANFL women’s competition. Given the development of women’s footy, to develop talent really quickly the focus is on the zones.”
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...r/news-story/ebf45d75dc6f41ad498ae394365725c8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Koch in his comments about an AFL national reserves comps and the Magpies in the SANFL also made some comment about our women's team in the SANFL. SANFL boss Jake Parkinson responded.

Responding to Power chairman David Koch’s claims the SANFL was making it harder for the club to belong to the state league, while also meeting with resistance in its desire to have an SANFL women’s side, Parkinson said they were Koch’s opinions. However, Parkinson said the Power had put forward applications for changes to the regulations and some had been accepted at the annual review which proved beneficial to the club.

The women’s competition is a state-based league which develops players to play at SANFL level and hopefully in the AFLW, according to Parkinson, and each club had a development zone.

“An important aspect of a zone is being able to move through a talent path and to do that in SA you need to move through the eight SANFL clubs,” Parkinsons said. “Port Adelaide does not have a zone so is not part of that at present. “That is not to say they will never play in the SANFL women’s competition. Given the development of women’s footy, to develop talent really quickly the focus is on the zones.”

In other words, 'when the AFLW has progressed to the point where the Crows can enter a SANFLW team into the competition as a reserves side, that's when we'll admit a Port Adelaide side'.

Which is never.

They should split the SANFL womens zones 9 ways. It's a different format to the mens game there are no AFL reserves.

They don't see us as part of SANFL. It is simple as that.

They don't see us as part of SANFL. It is simple as that.

Only when it suits their cause. But they do love the money we bring to the table.

Only when it suits their cause. But they do love the money we bring to the table.

They see as an AFL club from South Australia — the connection is "footy in SA," not our SANFL membership.

They see as an AFL club from South Australia — the connection is "footy in SA," not our SANFL membership.

No its more then that. Originally we wanted totally out of the SANFL, they wouldnt allow that. The very same muppets who hate our guts know full well that a PAFC in the SANFL brings people thru the gates when playing the SANFL teams. Have a listen to last weeks Pod cast with Rick and Brian Cunningham if you have not already done so. Brian explains it how it is and was. They have done every thing that can to rip us apart, stripping us of asset base in the SANFL, zones, voting rights, ect. We will last longer then the SANFL, we are a founding member of this comp and we will be far more relevant for a longer period then they in the over all scheme of things.

I would have a guess it would be killing them that we are getting stronger on and off the field. China and the future must be a knife in the guts for a bunch of knobs who want us to crawl....

Last edited:
No its more then that. Originally we wanted totally out of the SANFL, they wouldnt allow that. The very same muppets who hate our guts know full well that a PAFC in the SANFL brings people thru the gates when playing the SANFL teams. Have a listen to last weeks Pod cast with Rick and Brian Cunningham if you have not already done so. Brian explains it how it is and was. They have done every thing that can to rip us apart, stripping us of asset base in the SANFL, zones, voting rights, ect. We will last longer then the SANFL, we are a founding member of this comp and we will be far more relevant for a longer period then they in the over all scheme of things.

I would have a guess it would be killing them that we are getting stronger on and off the field. China and the future must be a knife in the guts for a bunch of knobs who want us to crawl....

But that's it. They treat us as if not a SANFL member. We are an associate, who they tolerate because we are a SA footy club in AFL (and a source of income), but that has no business in the SANFL proper.

For them, the 'One Club' was the end of our full membership. One can either belong to AFL or SANFL, but never to both. So, they believe, as an AFL club, we don't belong to SANFL — not even for fielding a women's team.

Their message is clear: "If Port wants to play women's, they should go to AFL." Our relationship with SANFL is good as dead.

But that's it. They treat us as if not a SANFL member. We are an associate, who they tolerate because we are a SA footy club in AFL (and a source of income), but that has no business in the SANFL proper.

For them, the 'One Club' was the end of our full membership. One can either belong to AFL or SANFL, but never to both. So, they believe, as an AFL club, we don't belong to SANFL — not even for fielding a women's team.

Their message is clear: "If Port wants to play women's, they should go to AFL." Our relationship with SANFL is good as dead.
There is only one problem with that. The talent pool isn't there and hasn't been there in SA because the SANFL unlike the WAFL and QAFL/AFLQ and football leagues in Victoria haven't invested in the grassroots and a decent competition for the last 20-25 years.

SA has always been seen as the 2nd best or 3rd best men's comp for more than a century and since 1992 when the U/16 and U/18 national championships were split into 2 divisions, SA plays in Division 1 and have never dropped to Division 2. In the women's and U/18 girls national comps, the SA teams play in Division 2 and will be years from being promoted to Division 1.

2019 AFLW expands with North Melbourne and Geelong getting sides and in 2020 4 new teams come in - Richmond, St Kida, West Coast and Gold Coast. So we can't sit on our arse and wait until 2022~2024 and not do some development work before we get a team in the national comp.

Last edited:
There is only one problem with that. The talent pool isn't there and hasn't been there in SA because the SANFL unlike the WAFL and QAFL/AFLQ and football leagues in Victoria haven't invested in the grass routes and a decent competition for the last 20-25 years.

SA has always been seen as the 2nd best or 3rd best men's comp for more than a century and since 1992 when the U/16 and U/18 national championships were split into 2 divisions, SA plays in Division 1 and have never dropped to Division 2. In the women's and U/18 girls national comps, the SA teams play in Division 2 and will be years from being promoted to Division 1.

2019 AFLW expands with North Melbourne and Geelong getting sides and in 2020 4 new teams come in - Richmond, St Kida, West Coast and Gold Coast. So we can't sit on our arse and wait until 2020~2024 and not do some development work before we get a team in the national comp.

That seems to answer the question on why we look to be desperate trying to bring SANFL to its senses. The league is openly saying 'no' to us.

I'm just reading between the lines what could be holdind the league back. I am new to this stuff, and the odds are I am saying nonsense. Still, that's the impression I have from the limited information I get.

It is probably pipe dream (I'm an incurable pipe-dreamer), but I see what you describe as an opportunity for Port. I see PAFC as a competitor against SANFL. If development is lacking, Port is already stepping in to provide it. These could be the seeds for a future MAGPIE LEAGUE.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back