Mega Thread Port Forum General AFL Thread Part 26

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Chamberlain was on SEN during the week and said that a field umpire can blow the whistle in that situation.
Thanks. Found it..

The short answer is yes the boundary umpire can make the call if it was obviously out of bounds and the boundary umpire got it wrong for whatever reason.

But Chamberlain says for that particular incident the field umpire wasn’t in a position to intervene.

So like most AFL rules there is a big grey area.

Last edited:
Ben King is trying so hard to look like Johnny Butcher

Graeme Robertson played for Port between 1982 and 1984 and was originally from Victoria. Robertson played a handful of games at Carlton then played 50 or so games at Richmond before coming to Alberton via West Adelaide. From memory I think he played as a tall defender. He came to Port about the same time as Russell Johnston and was probably part of the Big Fella's plan to get more height into the Port side. As I remember him he had a really short USMC style hair cut.

Geez, you have to be old to remember Graeme Robertson playing for Port.
I think Graeme Robertson wore no 24?
He started at Richmond spent a year at West Adelaide went back to Richmond and came to Port in 1982. Ironically one of his first games for Port was against Richmond in a trial game at Alberton in 1982.

There's already too many field umpires. Adding more will not make decisions better, it will just create more opportunities for decisions to be messed up.

Not if the umpires were a crew. Then, they would work together to improve one another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There already are 4 boundary umpires Gremio
There are already 2 goal umpires.

Adding more field umpires is the last thing we need. There's already a problem with out of zone umpires overruling the in play umpire who has a better view of incidents that are open to interpretation.

American football have seven on the field, and it’s fine.

The key here is having at least three umpires working together depending on where the action is. The other 2 can see things off the ball.

The dynamics between the 5 would improve as they work along. I defend having crews, so the same umpires would work together every week.

There are already 2 goal umpires.

American football have seven on the field, and it’s fine.

The key here is having at least three umpires working together depending on where the action is. The other 2 can see things off the ball.

The dynamics between the 5 would improve as they work along. I defend having crews, so the same umpires would work together every week.
The 7 amercan football umpires regularly confer during the interminable and constant breaks in play to make sure they get the calls right. Can't do that in footy.
I prefer soccer's more minimalist approach of 1 ref and 2 assistants but acknowlege with the larger field of play and speed of ball movement that arrangement is not practical in footy.
3 field umpires was the right balance.

I'm getting really sick of the Cody Weightman show.
Doesn't he know small forwards are there to apply pressure, not score goals!!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back